Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 8 inch axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DougMac, Nov 26, 2019.

1. DougMac

DougMac

How can I tell exactly what Axle I need? I’ve got an highboy coupe with an axle that suffered a spun bearing on the passenger side. I was going to sleeve the axle and have another bearing pressed on, but once the machine shop put the axle on a lathe, it shows to be bent slightly. I need a new axle, but they are not easy to find. It looks like I will either have to replace it with an aftermarket axle, or order a used one off the web....... either way, I want to insure that what I buy is exactly what I need. There is no tag on the rearend...... is there a a way to identify this rearend? All I know is that it is a 8inch, 5 lug, Ford. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jimmy six likes this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I know about the 8 inch is that it looks like a 9 inch too me and if it was out of a V8 car, Mustang, Falcon, and so on it has 5 lugs and the axle housings taper down as they go out towards the brake drums. I think there is one in parts for sale right now.

DougMac likes this.
  3. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Axle length and number of splines should get you a good start in your search.

DougMac likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Only 28 spline in 8", I believe they were all small bearing ends as well. Measure axle face to axle face when in housing and housing flange to flange to determine overall width and narrow [donor car] search down.
    Axles can be straightened, we had them done years ago for accident damaged cars and no issues whatsoever provided axle isn't too far gone. I had an 8.8" axle sleeved and it later walked down the axle, not recommended.
    Easier to measure you current axle and buy a generic splined axle to suit, you may have to have it cut to length to match your current axle. Generic axles comes in a various lengths and are cut to fit. Make sure the measurements match your existing axle so your brakes will fit.
    [​IMG] upload_2019-11-27_14-34-32.png

Pist-n-Broke likes this.

5. DougMac

DougMac

Thank you! I’ve looked at at an aftermarket axle and honestly, that’s probably the avenue I need to take. Measurements to be sent are simple. Thanks for the advice!

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Stock 8 in axles should be easy to be still located . I maybe light years behind but there were 100s of millions used in the years of service . After market axles to replace and use for driving and not racing should not break your budget . How many dollars does safety cost ? Only way to fly in my manual is safe .

7. Some yards are hesitant to bust up a complete rear, but some do stock axles on the shelf, hit or miss. I like the aftermarket idea.

8. DougMac

DougMac

Apparently we both are light years behind . I’ve called every salvage yard in a 300 mile radius and they all laugh. I really thought this was going to be a fast and easy part to find and replace...... looks Ike I will have to order an aftermarket axle after all. Thanks

9. Check out Dutchman axles..supposed to be 30% stronger than others in the market

DougMac likes this.
  10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This is one of the times that facebook could be helpful. With all of the Mustang , Fairlane and Maverick groups someone could I.D. it and would have one laying around.

irishsteve likes this.
  11. DougMac

DougMac

You would think that..... I have search on FB marketplace and placed an add on 8 different car pages...... nothing. I’ve even called mustang shops hours from my home..... nothing. Even if I find one, it will be 54 years old and possibly bent and require a new bearing installed ($100). I’m going to order one Monday from Dutchman Axles. They will make it as a complete, bolt on axle with the bearings, back plate, lugs..... $160.

tommyd likes this.
  12. DougMac

DougMac

Ordering one from them Monday! Spoke to their Tech guy and this is the way to go! Thank you sir for the recommendation.

13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've got a pair of axles for my Fairlane so post the M measurement and I'll see what I have. If mine works you can have it for the ride.

15. DougMac

DougMac

Awesome! Need just 1, the passenger side. It’s a 28 spine, 5 lug, drum brakes. 28.25 inches long! Hard to find.... think it’s a 65-66 mustang v8 rearend! Thanks for checking!

16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'll go out in the morning and see what they are.

DougMac likes this.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley

Search for axles in the classifieds. I'm almost positive someone had and ad for axles.

Lynn

18. DougMac

DougMac

Thanks.... I did. They were for 68-89 mustang..... which are the wrong length. Needle in a haystack!

19. lake_harley

lake_harley

Sorry that didn't work out. A source for a cut-to-fit axles that I don't think was mentioned is Yukon. I used one when I narrowed one side of a 8" Ford housing for my Model A. I forget what the price was. Measure twice, make that 3 times, and cut once. :) Simple to cut in a chop saw.

Good luck in whatever direction you chose to go for an axle.

Lynn

gimpyshotrods and DougMac like this.
  20. Binkman

Binkman

Check with RitterDavid here on the HAMB, he has a load of 8 inch and 9 inch ford parts. He posts daily and has posted axles, housings, gears, 3rd members, parts, etc. As long as you have the dimsenions he should be able to help you.

lake_harley and DougMac like this.
  21. He’s a good seller too...helped me out with a bellhousing, it arrived in perfect shape, nice and clean...

lake_harley likes this.
  22. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^That's who I was thinking of when I posted earlier. I agree, he's good to deal with. I bought a 8" ring and pinion from him and was pleased with the price and the parts I received.

Lynn

23. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DougMac, where are you located?

24. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Probably get a whole rear end for the price of 1 new axle with change, if you can find one local and are prepared to purchase the complete unit.
    It always pays to list your location as well.

25. DougMac

DougMac

Northeast Texas!

26. DougMac

DougMac

I found him on the classified page and contacted him. He carries 67-69 mustang rearends....... I need 65-66 V8(5lug) axle.

27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Are these any good to you?

eBay item number:

eBay item number:

28. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a time I would suggest going the route you took in ordering a new aftermarket axle.I have a reminder 8" axle in the yard That is Sheared off in the thick part of the axle.It came off my buddy's 37 delivery.His girlfriend was driving back from Bonneville ,Pulling small trailer .On I-70 in Utah,Hit dip,axle sheared,wheel passed them at 70mph.She had the presence of mind to guide it to the side.Sparks a Flying!Wiped out the passenger quarter ,and fender.But ,they were alive.

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You can use a small baring axle from a 9 inch if the length is the same, I have one in the maverick 8 inch thats in my sunliner.