Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I think the HAMB has raised the bar on my builds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

First, let me say that I honestly believe Ryan has helped change the face of Traditional Hot Rods in a positive way with the HAMB.

I stumbled on to this site over 20 some odd years ago, when it was a bunch of young guys(that are now old guys) hanging out bench racing. Those guys were fumbling their way through building traditional hot rods, when they weren’t cool. They were really sort of underground and had a taboo feel to them.

I was isolated in the middle of Oklahoma where I had struggled my entire life to find a group of like minded guys that were as ate up as I was.

Now, I reflect back and look at the cars I have built and how I have progressed in my quality and standards and I attribute a lot of this to the craftsmen on this board.

I admire the workmanship in awe daily and things that would have qualified as satisfactory previously, now are sub standard. Watching these Painters, fabricators, bodymen, welders, chassis builders and engine builders. etc continually raise my personal standards and challenge me to build a better hot rod.

This is not intended to be a gooey, we love Ryan post, even though he is a sexy man, but rather the acknowledgment of the impact of the HAMB.

Hats off to you guys that continually make the effort to post your craft.

Root

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

One of the things I have always said is " If you make every part of your car as nice as you can possibly make it, then you can't help but have a nice car when you put it all together". I too am in awe by the workmanship presented here and the clever way some people build their cars... this Is a wonderful place (Hamb) and I am thrilled to be here

3. fargoguy

fargoguy

I agree- preach it brother!

4. I hear you Root, The guys I ran with didn't get the style of cars I was trying to build, at that time I was more into the resto rod look, and everyone around me was going nut's wirh splash graphics, billet, tweed and easter egg colors.

Deuce Roadster introduced me to the Hamb and from the day I typed in the hamb and joined I knew I had found like minded people.

As you, I feel like I have stepped up my ability's realizing that we have many guys that are or could be professional builders but the fact that many of your average guys are not afraid to try to do work outside their comfort zone, after a few months of watching what others were doing I, Including you Root, I decided to tackle the old wagon that was rusting away in the barn.

I had never done any major body work, much less making patch panels but I ask a lot of questions and jumped in n the deep end of the pool, 7 years later I proved to myself I could bring a car back from the dead and I had a lot of help from my pal Dave and many of my fellow Hambers,.

One thing that always stood out is the encouragement with even the smallest of accomplishments.

Thanks for starting this thread, many tend take the Hamb for granted, and it's free to anyone, I support the site as a Alliance Member simply because I feel I owe so much to Ryan, for the entertainment over the past 16 years and for all the friendships I have made,both on line and in person.

Viva la Hamb. [​IMG] HRP

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

There are so many amazing craftsmen on this board. I think my standards far outweigh my abilities now.

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suspect your saying the Vintage Hotrod/Custom Style and movement has grown by having this Site introduced...Entirely possible...

I suppose it is helped by Membership Creating some of these Events around the Good Ole Days and by that I mean limited by Year and Styling...:confused:...Thanks for that little limitation...

I will say my Vintage thoughts prior to the Hamb were leaning in the right direction (Many would challenge this direction...who cares) but since being turned onto The Hamb, my understanding of the Big Picture has been enhanced and for that I am Very Thankful to be amongst this Dynamic Bunch O' Hoodlums...

I to am in awe of the Capabilities of so many here and I hope it lasts for a Long, Long Time...

I am not a builder...more of a Tinkerer...and purchased a Hotrod that was the focus of a Build Thread many moons ago and deprived the Builder's Wife of Her Toy...:D

So yeah a Big Thanks to the Nucleus (The Hamb) of this Celebration of the Yesteryear because it was Awesome Then as it is Today...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The kool thing to me is how many different ways there is to skin a cat and most everyone on here will show you how they have done a particular job. It defiantly is a brotherhood of like minded folks.
    I'm a hack but if anyone has ever asked how I have done certain things I always share my limited knowledge.

Just Gary, Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Even the hacks have better skills than me.
    I enjoy the vast knowledge that gets handed out daily.

Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  9. I only know engines and drivelines,,,,and it could be argued that I am limited in that.
    But I am completely in amazement at some of the talents displayed here.
    I have no talent at body work,,,but that is probably my fault because have never tried it.

You are right roothawg that this site has stepped up the game of hot rodding.
    A few months ago,,,I would never have guessed that I would have a Flathead .
    Now,,it consumes me,,,,it must be an addiction.
    I won’t be able to finish it for a while,,,because of lack of funding,,,,but I truly plan on it.

Then the chassis,,,maybe an old truck now ,,,,just when I think I have a direction,,this site pulls me to a new idea.

I truly do respect the ideas and ability’s of the craftsman on this site.
    Thanks from the little guys here.

Tommy

Just Gary, Roothawg and Stogy like this.
  10. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I have learned so much on the HAMB I cant remember it all, that's why I tune in everyday...………..

george cato, Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  11. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coolest site on the web with the best knowledge of traditional hot rods anywhere! Been a member for a while and am still surprised and entertained by the builds, finds, and characters on here.

12. So much info here.
    I don’t see the level of talent that is shown here on other sites.
    I have used this site many times in class.
    Keep posting the cool stuff folks.

Just Gary, Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I, too can attest that the HAMB has changed my perspective on building more toward the traditional style and I'm not complaining! So many on here that have so much ability that I have managed to gain a little knowledge by watching and following the builds. Like many of my self taught skills I gain from the sharing on here and also find that I already know how to do certain things and some I feel that I may have a better way to do a few tasks, at least it works well for me. Very happy that I found this site and it offers me a lot of entertainment even if I don't get to use much of the things I learn here!

Desoto291Hemi, Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  14. I know exactly what you mean, Root! I was hangin around Kevin Lee and Ryan down in Kansas City with my old slammed-together 33 pickup and Ryan's 38 was painted, upholstered and nice. I felt a little embarrassed. The next hot rod I put together [avatar] is quite a bit nicer and a big part of that is because of Ryan. Thanks, boss. 33atspeed.jpg 34falleaves10_18.jpg

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I liked that truck Rocky!

31hotrodguy and Stogy like this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree that following along on build threads or picking up on how someone did something that really adds to the build but the only real cost is time spent rather than bux spent is what raises the level for a lot of guys. That 30 minute wack off a couple pieces of square tubing to weld to the frame for motor mounts to sit on turns into a 4 hour fab session to build a couple of pieces that look like they were factory engineered doesn't cost any more except maybe for the rivets you used to hold it in place rather than running a few beads with the mig but the visual impact is incredible. There are tons of things like that that folks pick up on.
    Look at the improvements on chopped tops on customs over the time the Hamb has been around. Used to be that a lot of guys just brought the roof straight down, extended the cat walk with a filler panel and done and even though it didn't flow well it was chopped. Now there are more hours in getting the sail panels right and standing back and getting the flow of the whole chop right than there were in complete chops back years ago.

Just Gary, Desoto291Hemi and Roothawg like this.
  17. midroad

midroad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I joined the HAMB I thought I knew what Hotrodding was about. You guys really opened my eyes. It does make your builds better, mainly because of the knowledge on here. I have solved plenty of problems just by searching the site. I thank Ryan for starting it and everyone else for your help.

Roothawg, Desoto291Hemi and Stogy like this.
  18. wicarnut

wicarnut

I agree that the quality of our hobby cars have increased dramatically in my lifetime. I've become old and the quality/craftsmanship always blows me away, I rarely see bad paint/ bodywork/fabrication, all the cars are nice, many showpieces today at any local cruise/show that are drivers. The evolution of our great hobby through all the different fads/styles, Timeless was the handle used on HAMB style cars 30 years ago by a old racing friend who built many successful race cars and beautiful Hot Rods. This site has influenced many I believe, Traditional/Timeless/HAMB

19. I've survived all my Hot Rod buddies, my brother suffered a brain aneurysm years ago and is no longer interested in Hot Rods so the only Benchmark I have anymore is the HAMB. It's the only car related interaction I have and I appreciate it.

20. Every morning, get up and have breakfast with HAMB and eggs, just the way to start the day! JW

wicarnut, raven, Roothawg and 3 others like this.
  21. Rocky,
    I believe that is quite a step up from where you were!
    Your old one was cool,,,but the new one is great!

It just goes to show what some inspiration can do,,,,matched up with the want to!
    Great job,,,,I really like those wires too,,,they suit it perfectly.

Tommy

Roothawg and 31hotrodguy like this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

The HAMB is the best forum we have for traditional Hotrods and is definitely raising the quality of cars built. Guys like Jim Sibley are showing us how to make good results from JUNK. Now if we could get rid of cars that were never ever used for traditional hotrods......like International trucks...

Roothawg likes this.
  23. My first build was due to the inspiration, knowledge and help found here. And of course encouragement to get it done when I lost interest. 40 trailer.jpg 40var.jpg

24. The Indian

The Indian
    from oklahoma

I found the hamb when I was in high school 15 years ago. Change my life. Forever grateful for the wealth of knowledge and the community here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg and raven like this.
  25. It's just a great bunch of people to run your ideas by, and the voice of reason when you need it. Thanks for the help I've received and all of the help to come

Roothawg and raven like this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve always preferred early styled hot rods, my favorite span being 1958-65 so finding the H.A.M.B. was great for me.
    Not being much of a computer/internet guy, the lure of the H.A.M.B. helped motivate me to explore and learn in a new format; screen & keyboard. With this huge depository of knowledge and talent to access it’s very hard not to learn if you’re paying attention. It’s also very gratifying to be able to help fellow car guys when I can.
    Thanks to Ryan and all the H.A.M.B. members and contributors for helping to keep this aging car guy immersed in the hobby.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roothawg likes this.
  27. I think that looking at the craftsmanship involved in some of these builds tends to raise the bar. Any serious rodder should want to at least strive to rise to the level of these guys.

Roothawg likes this.
  28. I'm a bit different from most here. Before the HAMB my life as consumed with sprint cars. Mainly building, and racing. The last time I ended up on my head, after clearing a 15ft catch fence, I decided to hang up the wings and maybe build something else. I don't have the patience or desire to do body work, so it was either buy a finished car(no fun), drive a done car with rust and patina(no way) or find something with a minimal body and go from there. I was at a swap meet and saw a guy selling 2 CCR 23t bodies, a Speedway 27 body and a mess of parts. I made an offer on everything but he didn't seem too interested, however his wife was. Twenty minutes later he's helping me load everything in my buddy's cube van and I've started in a new direction. I found the HAMB by accident while looking for some quickchange parts. I've hung around because it amuses me. The build quality here is outstanding, but truthfully, it didn't have to inspire me. I've always went the extra mile in my builds because I wanted to, and because I felt my life depended on it(which it did). Fiberglass isn't/wasn't the drug of choice here so I've kept my builds to myself. Plus I don't do the picture thing. Through the years I've bought a few HAMB friendly rides, but being done cars I never had them long. I like creating, not maintaining, building rather than driving.

Roothawg likes this.
  29. TimCT

TimCT

I think what sets the HAMB apart are the amount of people here who have been there, done that. Have a question? Here's the answer. Wanna mess around and test drive other theories? Go for it. We'll see you back here (or not) telling someone they were right all along. Of course, it's not just the basics, it's all the advanced, one off stuff, too. Almost makes you think the old saying about there not really being an original idea left in the world anymore is true. Someone on the HAMB has probably tried it, and has measurements and part numbers and 3 things to watch out for when YOU try it.

Roothawg likes this.