Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Trouble (work) light

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RmK57, Nov 26, 2019.

1. RmK57

RmK57

Looking to replace my incandescent trouble light after replacing bulbs each time it's dropped and burning my hand, arm when touching it with a 100 watt bulb in it. Haven't decided which type of power I want, either florescent or Led. I want it to corded, just dont need cordless or want to deal with more chargers. Whats to hot setup these days?

loudbang likes this.
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've been using the clamp on fixtures with a LED flood lamp. They are perfect for what I do.
    20191126_090916.jpg

3. lowrd

lowrd

After burning out the two halide work lights, I purchased two LED work light replacements. Much cooler when working under the hood now. A little more costly, but the benefits are worth it.

loudbang likes this.

4. My friend lost his shop, a ton of automotive memorabilia, a motorcycle, two pickup trucks and three cars when the incandescent lightbulb in his trouble light broke on impact and ignited a small puddle of gasoline on the floor under the car they were working on. I have been burned many times by the heat of the incandescent trouble light as it rolled or relocated onto my arms or face while my hands and arms were outstretched or otherwise incapacitated to protect myself.
    LED with a high impact plastic cover of some sort is the only way to go. You can buy the ‘bulb’ assembly that screws into your existing trouble light for a safe conversion.
    Cool to the touch and they don’t explode in a zillion pieces when dropped.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Probably not what you want, but I like using led flashlights with magnetic bases. No more cord to fight with, and they put out plenty of light. I keep a supply of AA batteries on hand, and love these things.

loudbang and WB69 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

cordless. Sorry, but it's just the way things are going.

If you have a cordless light, you have to deal with plugging it into the charger every now and then. If you have a corded light, you have to deal with plugging it into the wall every time you use it, and deal with the cord whenever you move it--and the cord will often move the light for you, just when you don't want it to.

I have one of these that I've been using the past couple years, it works pretty well--but not perfect. It's pretty bright, when you look right at it, so you have to avoid looking right at it. The charge time is kind of long, but the use time is also pretty long, so that makes up for it.

I don't know if they're still available in this model.

cat-rechargeable-led-work-light-costco.jpg

7. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I've got two corded LED worklights that have a magnetic base affixed to the inside surface of my two post lift and a handfull of cordless LED lights from Big Lots that I use under the hood. They last for several months before needing batteries and if I do break or lose one, I'm only out $5 each. So far I've had these in service for a couple of years. I'd say I've got my money's worth from them.

loudbang likes this.
  8. slowmotion

slowmotion

LED rough service bulb in your existing trouble light, done.

loudbang and onetrickpony like this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

D0FAB94A-756A-47F9-B528-1F75E8386C6E.jpeg Once you use any of the cordless led , magnetic lights , out there..... you will chunk rocks at any light with a cord! This is one place technology has really worked!

I now carry this with me 24/7.

Bones

10. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

My wife got me one of those led lights you can clip on the bill of your cap. At first I thought I wouldn't use it but come to find out I use it quite often.

j-jock, nochop and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd like to have $5.00 for every fire an incandescent drop light caused. I use led drop lights.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. I like this Bayco drop light and have been using one like this for about 6 years, the bulbs must be shock proof because I've dropped it many time, it has two switches fro 2 or 4 lights, it can lay flat or hang. HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. evintho

evintho

loudbang likes this.
  14. I wounder how many times I have crawled ud the car with a drop light and just when I needed it the most I would bump it and out goes the light, heck even the more expensive shock proof bulbs didn't last long around me. HRP

loudbang and nochop like this.
  15. goldmountain

goldmountain

I replaced the rough service bulb with an ordinary LED bulb. Seems to work good. They Don't have a fragile filament to break.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bob b., onetrickpony and pprather like this.
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

LED magnetics for me...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  17. I swear by my Streamlite LED headlamp. It’s rechargeable and has two brightnesses. All of the guys I work with also use them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and egads like this.
  18. Dennis D

Dennis D

100w led bulb in my old retractable light for me. D

loudbang likes this.
  19. I have a Dayton fluorescent that I bought in '83, have changed the bulb and the cord 1x each. It works well and stays cool. My next will be a LED cordless for sure.

20. If you insist on a cord use the drop light from Mac tools

I use nebo battery magnetic lights work great
    They also make a head light that’s bright as all get out

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. RmK57

RmK57

That is one of the ones on my shortlist. Also another one by Bayco, model sl- 2135. Kind of pricey but has very good reviews and 600-1200 lumens.

22. I replaced the incandescent bulb with an LED bulb.

Phil

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  24. A friend of mine was pulling a gas tank out of a car using an incandescent drop light. Dropped the tank on the light and that's all she wrote. Lived a few days in the hospital, then died. Food for thought.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and Gman0046 like this.
  25. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

At work the boss bought some cheaper led replacement bulbs from walmart and those things work great! We put them thru hell, dropping, kicking, johnny balls from welding and they still go strong. It takes alot to kill one.

Cheapest way to go with old style bulb type trouble lights.

lothiandon1940, loudbang and pprather like this.
  26. Ziggster

Ziggster

I have two perfectly round "burnmarks" on my stomach due to an incadescent trouble falling on me while working under vehicles. Threw that puppy out long ago, but my wife still makes fun of me.

lothiandon1940 and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I'll echo the LED bulb in your old light.

My florescent droplight crapped out during a job. I had an old corded incandescent bulb light and I had just bought some 100 watt LED bulbs so I popped one in. Way brighter than my old florescent an no heat to deal with.

slowmotion and loudbang like this.
  28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'll take any light that actually points in the direction of the work instead of at the ground, in my face or anywhere else but.

little red 50 and slowmotion like this.
  29. RmK57

RmK57

That is exactly one of the reasons I'm changing over. I absolutely will not work on any fuel system with an incandescent light. Sorry about your buddy.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.