Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 Falcon with a 302

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phoenix24, Nov 22, 2019.

1. I’m

loudbang likes this.
  2. 6sally6

6sally6

Limit it to 36-38* @2000-2500 RPM and use hi test gas......Should be no problem s with pinging
    6sally6

deathrowdave likes this.
  3. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

So 10 to 1 is safe for treat use? Reg or premium fuel ?

loudbang likes this.
  4. George

George

10:1 with alloy is the same as 9:1 with iron. Probably have to see if it's happy with 87, 89, or Premium. Advance curve & combustion chambers have a role in this also.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I switched out the carb, and to say it made a difference is an understatement! It sounds and feels like a whole new motor, and it's no longer stumbling and feels way better. I need to get a seat in there asap to get that thing driving again!

I'll have to take it down to the local speed shop and see how they do it for the ignition advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Google (YouTube ) Auto RestoMod. He goes through adjusting the distributor on a Ford. I believe it’s a Ford truck in the video. It’s points but it’s basically the same concept.

Phoenix24 and loudbang like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't drive it without upgrading the brakes...a lot.

gimpyshotrods, Phoenix24 and loudbang like this.
  8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yes, with a valve cover off its cast into the head, very easy to see. I found all mine on v8 exporers. there are many with 40 heads, the P is slightly different. I didnt have any issues

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

You’ve picked a great car to play around with. There’s a lot of replies because they are very popular and easy to hot rod. I loved my ‘60 Falcon and most of it’s life it just had a 200 six cylinder and a C4.
    A nice set of headers to try would be the Shelby style Tri-Y version. They don’t take up as much room in there as full length four tube headers. I used to see them pretty cheap on eBay. With the exception of their HP versions, Ford exhaust manifolds are pretty restrictive. You won’t see the best from all the other modifications if they have to fight through stock manifolds and a tiny exhaust system.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Phoenix24 likes this.
  10. Can’t go wrong with Doug’s Headers...they are not easy cars to put headers on...and narrower than a Mustang..I found my never used cearamic coated 660YA’s Tri Y’s on FB marketplace for $300.00 bucks..$750.00 new.... they fit great, can’t imagine ones that don’t fit as well..not easy to get in...

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  11. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Always liked the early Falcon, listen to these fellas on here. They will steer you right, Nice Car!,and welcome!

12. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Well NOW it'll let me post pictures!

I know for sure that headers are gonna be a pain, that's the clearance as is between the logs and the shock towers.

Also, I put disk brakes on the front. The kit came with a new master cylinder, and the old lines where crunchy, lol, so we put new brake lines all around.

Also, thanks. It's interesting to see how much a falcon has to offer, when you never really hear much about them, they where really outshined by the mustang. 20180917_165614.jpeg Screenshot_20191126-063406_Instagram.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  13. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Sanderson makes a decent shorty header for gt40P heads that fit a falcon. I have a pair on my dad's 62 comet and they slid right in without even jacking the engine up. My dad's comet is a gt40p motor with a .512 lift cam, headers, edelbrock performer, 670 vac secondary street avenger carb, T5 and cut explorer 3.73 traction loc rear. Oh....and a 150 shot nitrous plate system. It's a fun little car.

Peter Willis, loudbang and Phoenix24 like this.
  14. 6sally6

6sally6

Chavezk21 and Phoenix24 like this.
  15. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Happy Thanksgiving!

Our current goal is to get the falcon on the road asap, as I'd like it to be my seinor year car, and I'm already half way through the year! Once we start to drive it, I will start doing small things to the engine like the timing, and some bolt on things like headers (I heard tri y headers work, and they come in long tubes, if not I'll get some Sanderson headers that you guys say fit well).

One of the things me and my dad are debating on is the air cleaner, I was thinking something along the lines of this;

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...J-eUS7860Hfd8jYvsBLGlSbz-hsG-59hoCAHgQAvD_BwE

But my father was thinking something like this, so it can get cold air;

www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-733-Low-Profile/dp/B0097JKZ1O

I was just curious what you guys think. I think the cold air intake will perform better, but might have some restrictions due to it sucking through those two pipes, as well as it looking a little funky, vs the more traditional one that has more surface area and looks more traditional.

The picture is of the engine bay as it sits right now Screenshot_20191128-175355_Video%20Player.jpeg

JeffB2 and loudbang like this.
  16. What gears are in your 8"? Most likely 3:00 and 3:73 or 4:10 would wake it up considerably for around $150.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Supposedly some 3.73 gears are in there as of right now, and it's going to be driven in the street allot, so I think I'll keep it there.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Your dad knows his business. I Made one like this from an old base with two big coffee cans soldered into it and a tube set from JC whitney and with no other changes lowered my ET 0.20. They really work if you can run the hose down and mount the intakes under the front bumper.

1947knuck and deathrowdave like this.
  19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

CR is a strange thing to figure it out how it effects “ pinging “ . I had a 429 SCJ that AV gas was the only available fuel that it would not rattle on . It laughed at 93 and booster . My Buddy has a repop Cobra , and a 63 R code , both 427 med.risers , neither of these rattle as the SCJ did . My only thoughts are the 427s have so much fuel flowing through it cools the combustion chambers a bit . Not sure but , head design plays a big big role in “pinging “. My 32 is a roller 302 , Keith Black 10:1 , GT40 heads , no pinging ever , I suspect heavy overlap on the X grind is helping , I have no idea , but parts choices seem to help greatly .

loudbang likes this.
  20. George

George

loudbang likes this.
  21. That air cleaner your dad likes is reminiscent of the ones you’d see on a Thunderbolt...very cool..just make sure it clears that HEI distributor..those things are huge compared to a stock Ford

loudbang likes this.
  22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Downside of the GT40P heads is the spark plug angle is different from the other SBF heads so headers for the standard heads won't work on GT40P heads also the valve train sucks as the springs won't support cams with more lift and by the time you upgrade the springs and retainers you might as well buy some budget aluminum heads like Flo-Teks https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1302-six-budget-ford-heads-that-work/ Or these: https://www.skipwhiteperformance.co...190cc-aluminum-heads-60cc-nkb-ford-272_92558/

loudbang likes this.
  23. I was gonna do the Skip White heads....all my buddy’s said I was nuts...they seem like a good part for the $$$ I broke under pressure and bought Trick Flows

loudbang likes this.
  24. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I believe it has D80E heads? And is there anything wrong with the Skip White heads? They look like a very good deal, especially for the price!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

I have some questions about the transmission in the falcon, should I continue this thread, or start a separate one?
    Sorry for the silly question, but I'm relatively new and don't know how you guys usually go about stuff like this

loudbang likes this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

Ask away, it’s good when your adventures are in one place.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Phoenix24 like this.
  27. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Ok, didn't know if it was normal practice or if you guys make a different thread for a different question/problem!

I currently have a 3spd with O.D. transmission. It looks like a toploader but isn't. From what I've read it's based off a toploader, but second changed ratios to split 1st and 4th, 4th stayed 1:1, and 3rd became the O.D. gear. The shift lever was inverted so the standard patter could remain the same. Externally it shifts like normal, but internally it shifts 1,(looong)2, 4, and O.D. 3. I've heard that these transmissions are rather weak, but where made for light duty trucks and cars. I believe my personal one is from a truck because of it's short first gear.

Long story short, I was curious if what I read is true, and if that transmission is ok with the Falcon due to it being so light. A 63 Sprint is around 2300lbs according to Google, so I'd imagine I'm close to that. When I bump up power allot, would it be worth it to go to a longer final drive and put in a toploader?

I want to keep it as more of a daily type thing that still has power, so the O.D. isn't unwelcome, but I'm just concerned about the durability of the engine, as well as trying to find parts (haven't seen much about these), as it seems to want to leak fluid quite a bit. If it's toploader based can I use those seals for it?

Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  28. raven

raven

Transmission should work fine as long as you’re not doing neutral drops too often.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

29. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The tightest fitting SBF header is the HEDMAN 88400's used in the early Mustangs & Fairlanes.

30. Phoenix24

Phoenix24

Cool, I've kinda been worried about it, but figured it would be ok if I didn't slam it/start off hard.

And thanks! Now I have a number to start off on for the headers!

loudbang likes this.