Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New to old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaBeers34, Nov 25, 2019.

1. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

I've recently picked up a 1959 Ford Fairlane. Got a smokin deal on it. Has 312 in it. I wasn't lucky enough to grow up around cars, so my knowledge is pretty basic. Been reading as much as I can about the car, ordered the shop manual cause the wiring is a rats nest. But my question is, where do you think I should start? Get it running, or get the body and wiring type stuff done first? It has some rust but nothing too crazy. It needs a carb, radiator, battery, and distributor cap. The motor looks super clean like somebody took care of it. Anyways, I'm new to all this just trying to learn as much as I can. Also anyone know a site for bench seats, or other bench seats that will fit that year? Thanks for any info.

2. aircap

aircap

Stopping is important, too. Make sure the brakes are in working order. I had a '59 four door Galaxie during high school that was a gas to drive. Finally sold it to a guy restoring his '59, and he decided to use his old one as the parts car. I think it's still around town.

3. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah, I plan on going through everything. I don't know who owed it before. I got the car from a tow yard. Looks like somebody tried to start getting it together, but did it a little shitty. I'm in no rush to just go get it on the road. I want it to be safe for my kids to ride in.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. level2526

level2526

I’ve had a few cars. I like to get them running. Then stopping. Worry about the body and paint later. I definitely wouldn’t recommend tearing the thing apart you may get overwhelmed and get discouraged. Keep it together, get it running ,driving and drive it. Something I need to remind myself of sometimes. Let’s see a pic

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DaBeers34 likes this.
  6. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

7. 327Eric

327Eric

Get it running first, then stopping, then yard drive it. The success or failure here will point you in the direction you need to go.

upspirate, 40FORDPU, WB69 and 2 others like this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Like said, change oil,get the engine running. Nothing fancy at first. Then do a complete brake job and check suspension. New tires or newer tires. Now you have something that will move and stop. Then do what you want to do on it next. But don’t scatter it, keep it running. Are you sure it’s a 312???not a 292?

Bones

9. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

It's a 312. Checked all the numbers on the block. It's not the motor that was originally in it.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@DaBeers34, You will notice when you go to the search link there is 2 tabs one says Google results that will be additional hits...

You have a couple of options...Custom or Street Pounder...nice being a Tudor

11. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Thank you

Stogy likes this.
  12. scotts52

scotts52

I always start with brakes. Why?
    Because they're relatively easy, AND, the first thing you want to do once you have it running is to see if you can drive it. Stopping is pretty important in my book. For your safety, the safety of others, and the safety of the car.

Ned Ludd, upspirate, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  13. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Drain and replace all the fluids, replace all the brake shoes, get tires, flush radiator, get it running, and then start the party. Looks like a nice score.

WB69, VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  14. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

It always good when your best friend owns a tow yard. Sold it to me for $700

15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm a body man/painter and I would get it running and driving before I would think about doing bodywork. Hell you might get it drivable and not like it.

DaBeers34, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great car. If I were you I would get it registered and in your name before spending any more money or labor on it. Nothing worse than having the car fixed up then finding out there’s a big snag in the registration.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...it's already a Lowrider...I'm interested in your journey in discovery...nice mild Custom material...Keep your eye out for some skirts...wait they're in the trunk right...;)

I gotta say it again...from Rust Belt Central...you fella's Got It Good...;)

DaBeers34 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

The most important thing to do you are doing, research, research and more research.
    Keep asking enough questions and reading up on what you have and soon people will be asking you questions.
    Well Done.

Just remember to get info from many sources and then cross check, some written info is incorrect or not complete, some opinions are great,and some are not based on fact.

DaBeers34 and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing for sure @DaBeers34, there is great potential for a Mild to Wild Modded Cruiser...You are fortunate...but getting the Paper Straight is probably the best advice then everything else...I had to snoop for some of the Best of these Stylish Rocket Age Classics...many wild factory features already way out there...consider the following...Inspirations...which of these do you see as being a direction?

Again Congrats and have fun with it...;)

1959-ford-fairlane-500-galaxie.jpg

4c5bd921d90e135ecf88e9c0ea2b3ca0.jpg

:rolleyes:...both looks above with Stance adjustments as desired rock...

657c5e90217e27f6615ea9fa5c7b6419.jpg

:rolleyes:...Near what you have now...;)

718b80b2d50886944f6f14af0d975957.jpg

:rolleyes:...A Mild Custom with Attitude

1959-ford-fairlane-500-332-engine-1.jpg

:rolleyes:...This has a Stealthy Moonshiner/Stockcar Feel

Credit to Photographer's, Owner's

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  20. manyolcars

manyolcars

59f2.jpg

I have been driving this one for 19 years. I rebuilt the 292. You are welcome to ask me anything

21. You did the right first step in buying a manual.

first figure out if you can put it in your name to avoid potential future hassles.

just to keep the momentum going, get it running, all new fluids including trans and diff. Nothing to get you going then to hear it run.

then brakes and suspension, gas tank fuel / brake lines etc.

the pretty stuff can always wait and while you get it mechanically sound you will figure out what style you want.
    Very cool twodoor I see Watson style paint with bell flower exhaust!

Stogy and DaBeers34 like this.
  22. Congrats on the find.. And welcome aboard LOTS of GREAT info can be had on this site.

As others have posted get the brakes working FIRST !
    Like most, once running you are going to want to put it into D and hit the GO peddle and find yourself in a situation where the WOAH peddle does not work and cause some serious problems.

Stogy and DaBeers34 like this.
  23. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I second that. Had a friend spend a lot of time and money on a project only to find out he didn't legally own it due to a snag in some paper work. Eventually got it straightened out, but took time and more money.

upspirate and DaBeers34 like this.
  24. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

20191016_182857.jpg

Ron Funkhouser, BigO, Spooky and 2 others like this.
  25. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Going more for the rat rod look. We go to viva Las Vegas every year for last 15 years. Just been waiting to find the right car.

26. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Awesome thank you. I'm sure I will be asking a lot of questions.

27. DaBeers34

DaBeers34
    from California

Yeah I usually have about 5 websites at once open, just to make sure one or the other isn't wrong. Read forum questions, or watch videos. Just trying to learn as much as I can before I actually start tinkering.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  28. Agree, get it running and driving first, put some seat time in, and determine then if you like it enough to go further..if you decide you don't like its characteristics, it will at least be more saleable.

upspirate and DaBeers34 like this.
  29. manyolcars

manyolcars

Rat rods are not welcome on this website

30. squirrel

squirrel

Perhaps you meant to say that you're more interested in getting it driving and working well, than finishing the body work and paint at this time....????

You've got some good advise so far. Although I wouldn't be spending money on new fluids, until I got it going and discovered what all things need to be repaired/resealed. If, for example, the rear end pinon seal is leaking like a sieve, why spend money on gear oil before you discover the leak, then have to spend it again after you fix the leak? Although you will want to make sure everything has fluid in it.