Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey SC HAMBers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yesterday I spent about an hour and a half talking with a local Model A restorer and looking over his collection. Nice old guy and a great collection of stuff including a bitchin replica gas station. While looking at his stuff we got on the topic of license plates and not being able run same year plates on our cars. Using a 1953 plate on a 53 car/truck like other states does.

He told me he just heard that law was changing and we were going to be able to run them (something about keeping out current plate in the car) but being able to hang the old same year plate on the back.)

Any of you SC guys hear anything about this......

Ryan likes this.
  2. I haven't read anything about this.

Guess one of us will have to go to a DMV office and check it out. I have to go before the end of the year to renew my dealers license anyway.

3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

I think we GA alows that. PBRmeASAP hasa demo 000 0000 ga plate for huis 64 impala wagon. Hopefully he'll chime in. I think he did some checking. Going to the DMV would still be best. I hope it works out for ya guy's

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes the law has been changed.........only thing is DMV is way behind the times and may not know about it at your local office...... :)

The # of the law was posted in Street Scene a few months back.

It was HR something....
    I had the number.....but did not want to change tags.......I have had my tag for 25 years....and will keep it... :)

Might put a 1932 tag on the 3W coupe when I get it ready...

[​IMG]

5. popsrods

popsrods
    from macon,ga.

It has been in effect in ga. since 01 i think,you buy a regular tag and keep it in the vehicle,you can display the same year tag of your car,it has to be 1957 or older.I have been running my 55 like this for three years.
    wayne

Speed Queen likes this.
  6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

7. Yah, Dave is correct, but as of jan 1 of this year, it's going back to mid 70's i beleive. I got my plate for the wagon, and they told me i could us it, but gotta wait till the 1st and go back they have a form to fill out, but like usual, they had no clue till i asked and they looked everything up for me.

I actually got the 'sample' plate for 64, like Dave said all 0's....

8. djmartins

djmartins

That's great news.
    Now I need a 1966, 1936, and a 1933 SC plate, in order of importance....
    Anyone?

thanks,
    Doug

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So Randy, how do we find out if it has been signed by the Governer. From looking at that link, it looks like it could still be open. but then again the update is fairly old.

I just call Mr Harrell, the sponsor of Bill H3882 and left a message (and followed up with an email) to find status.

10. Shane T.

Shane T.

Yeah. Anybody Have A 57 Or A 30-31 Set. Please!!!

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I heard thru the government grapewine it passed.......but Rep. Harrell would be the best bet.

Randy

12. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Wonder if plates must be original, or can be repainted?

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Randy, I hear the same rumor but wanted to check and see when it goes into effect, so I can take a copy to my local DMV to get my 53 plates registered. Now I need to find a set of 29 plates

Thee gentlemanI talked to yesterday said that 29 plates are hard to find. he said for some reason there are lots of 31's out there. If this has passed I would think that SC plates will go up in value know that folks can use them..

14. kb cookout

kb cookout

hi ; was that mel you were talking too?

later kb

15. luckystiff

luckystiff

if it's like it is here in nc you don't have to go register the old tags. actually the only way you can register the old tag is to buy a "vanity" plate with the same #s. you can legaly run the old plates you just have to keep your current legal plates in the car at all times. hell i did it before they passed the law here and never really had a problem. just be sure you've got your legal plate or there will be. if any of you guys need help finding plates theres a guy here that has alot of plates and it seems i remember a good bit of sc plates in his stash. makes sense since we're 40 miles from the line...ken....

16. Scrapyard

Scrapyard

A friend of mines sister is near the top of the totem poll for the SC DMV. I'll see if she can look into it.

BTW, Boones. little OT. Saw the wagon at Bessingers over the summer. Tried to run into you,but didn't get a chance. Are there any more HAMBer's in Charleston?

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

kb, ya that would be mel. a great guy. He was very nice to take the time to talk with me. I really appreciated it.

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Scrapyard, there are a few of us. (3 or 4). What do you drive....

19. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

I know in VA they have to inspect your old tags at the DMV then they cross referance the numbers on the plates to make sure the numbers are not in use. Then they register those tags to your car. But they also have the same rules as the Antique vehicle tags, parades, to and from car shows, occasional joyrides and test and tuning. I just picked up a set of '53 VA plates at Goodguys in the fall.

20. Anyone know the real story on TN?

The local poster girl for Memphis/Shelby Co. DMV constantly tried to convince me that I needed to buy an antique vehicle tag when I tried to find out about YOM tags. She could not grasp the concept of a '40 TN tag, even with a display of every TN tag made since the 20's right in front of her.

Typical Memphis; clueless civil servants on the public dole. If it's not a cut and dried simple title or tag transaction, they don't have the initiative or grey matter to get off their ass and find out. Is it break time yet? No, it's time for a bitch slap, ho!"

Sorry, rant over.

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

22. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

[I guess this means I'm in the market for a 55 and a 47 SC plate or plates as they came in sets then.

23. djmartins

djmartins

I was in Virginia last year and they will allow the old plate to be registered for real.
    I ran 1966 plates on my fastback with a real registration.
    Just go to thier webpage and print the relevant section to bring to the DMV.

regards,
    DJ

24. Looking for a 1929 Georgia for my car, front and rear, or just rear, can't use the 1 ton truck fronts. thanks for looking or direction if you know sellers of Georgia plates thank you

25. This thread is 14 years old, if your looking for a 1929 Georgia license plate check the classifieds, advertise in the wanted section or check out e-bay.

You would be wise to check with the Georgia DMV to see if there are any letters or sequence of numbers you can't register, S.C. has a bunch and I ended up with a plate that can't be registered, all it's good for is wall decoration. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I'v had my coupe for 22 yrs with '97 California tag that was on the car when I bought it in '97. I have always had a current NC tag with the car(historical). Never had a problem with the law and I have had 1 speeding ticket(ouch $250.00) and even then no problem......

27. I have, I just searched and added to it, I can use any letters or sequence of numbers, None you can't register so long as it doesn't say front (which seems are the only 29 Georgia plates I can find.