Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What!!? another 27 on 32 chassis!??. Scratch build body.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mindover, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

To all you other guy, thanks so much for taking the time to read my thread and for taking time to reply. Its good to know its being read and is of interest. Thanks guys! I will post more soon.

David

Afrodizzyak47, greaser, brEad and 2 others like this.
  2. I'm following along as I work on my own '27. I'll likely have a lot more comments/questions once I am forced to deal with the poorly fitting deck lid I have! Until them I'm just in denial...

brEad, OFT and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

craig, I think I have been in denial since I started this build about how much work it would be :(:)

DesmoDog and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

So I then fitted the other side door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GuyW, Shadow Creek, alchemy and 3 others like this.
  5. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

The next job is to get the turtle deck in one piece and fitted in place. Here is a photo of the two side panels. The turtle deck is as much work as the rest of the body I feel.

[​IMG]

6. Wow looking fantastic Dave! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

7. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

David.. I think that everything is "as much work" when you are doing it to such a level of quality.
    The work I'm doing is far less difficult, which is directly proportional to the the quality (or lack thereof). ;)

8. That front 3/4 view makes me want to start searching the classifieds again, looking good!

9. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Are we going to see a video of the build? For sale of course.
    Mike

10. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks glad to see you are still on the board.

I should have done an A framed modified.

When I first planned this car almost forty years ago I wanted to build a steel body but I would have done it with a tube frame and simple skins. Doing it as a fairly accurate copy is a lot more work.
    No Mike, I may put something on YouTube though. A slideshow perhaps. With a bit of video included. I haven't really filmed much and then it was not done with my pro camera. Just a point and shoot.

11. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

A modified certainly could have been "easier" in that it wouldn't have to be an accurate model of a production car. You could have been as creative as you wished.
    Maybe that's a next project?

12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

That's my plan if I live long enough. Use the original T body I have on an A chassis. 'A' axles low and perhaps a straight six engine. Pipe dream at the moment.

brEad likes this.
  13. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Sometimes, "pipe dreams" keep us motivated.
    I have most of the parts to build an A truck, including a nice 8BA flathead. But it all sits and waits.
    If I get to it before I have to stop working on cars.. great. Otherwise someone will have a nice pile of parts.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Thanks, David. Am sure it will be inspiring

15. David, I have followed this thread and much of your other work. I had not been on this site for many, many months and what a pleasant surprise today, to see you back and with such brilliant work!! All the best and I will now "pop in" here and check..

16. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Great to know some people are coming back. That's you, me and a couple of others I have noticed. Thanks for the comment. I will post some more asap.

64 DODGE 440 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. redoxide

redoxide

were all here Dave watching and waiting for the next notification that there has been a new post :)

18. pitman

pitman

A favorite body style, coming together.
    Much value in bringing us along, thanks.

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I need a bit of help. This is regarding the T section trim pieces that run down the turtle deck from top to bottom on each side of the trunk. I was given some pieces of this which I am going to use. (Thank you Phil) My question is - one side of the top of the T section is longer than the other. Which way does the trim go?. I imagine the longer side sits over the sheet metal of the side panel while the shorter side sits in the gap over the gutter. ( adjacent to the trunk lid) Can anyone confirm whether I am right please?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  20. Does this help David? Sorry it’s kinda dark in the garage.

6EADC586-4309-439C-9E01-4D20CBE77B90.jpeg 94C22888-07D9-4053-8A5B-CD54D64F789B.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  21. Gofannon

Gofannon

Yes, long side over the sheet metal. I made mine like this. MIG welded then took to it with a big grinder with sanding disc, finished off with body file.

upload_2019-12-8_17-45-45.png

upload_2019-12-8_17-46-22.png

upload_2019-12-8_17-47-27.png

22. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you for being so helpful again Mike. That is a great help. I really appreciate you going the time and trouble to put up photos to help me.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and cactus1 like this.
  23. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you so much for your reply confirming I was correct. I was lucky enough to be given some pieces of the T section. (Thanks again Phil) but these were not from a 27 roadster. They are not quite long enough and were not the right shape so I will have to make up a foot of so of each side and change the shape. I am doing it in a slightly different way to the way you did it. I will post it on here at some point. All I can say is wow! To the way you did it!. I looked at doing something similar but after trying a short section I decided it was a massive amount of work. Well done to you. Your car looks good. I see you have made quite a few panels for it.

Stogy, hotrodfil and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Always happy to help David!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Gofannon

Gofannon

Building a car like this is a massive amount of work so I can fully appreciate what you are doing here. I have been chipping away at mine over many years and I don't give it much priority over other aspects of life. I'm looking forward to see how you will make your T strips, I love the exchange of ideas on the HAMB.

26. No problem fella - missed you last night.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Regarding T SECTIONS. I have drilled holes in the horizontal piece above the edge of the vertical piece then plug welded. This keeps shrinkage to a minimum.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

More? Hopefully, disregarding covid.

Stogy likes this.
  29. hasty

hasty

Great to see this appear again - I hope it is still in progress?

30. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Hopefully still progressing 3 yrs later or finished! Love to see more pics, very cool

Stogy, joep4567 and Gofannon like this.