Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What the.....Is This A Joke? Only $45K!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodA, Nov 22, 2019.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’ll scrape the bugs off my re pop thanks

WB69 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. 45k?!, surely you can’t be serious?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

jim snow likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Maybe a guy could make a profit on those if you bought them all and resold them individually, but the amount of effort you'd have to put in to list, pack and ship them all would be a pretty large amount of labor hours, not to mention if you want to try for top buck you'll probably have to be selling them on eBay and they'll get quite a cut. And I doubt every single one of those is nice enough to pull $2K.

If you're willing to put that kind of work into reselling parts, there are way better investments to be made.

Muttley and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Kinda like the kids with a lemonade stand and wanted 20.00 a glass. Guy asked why so high and they said all we have to do is sell one glass.

chryslerfan55 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think having a few as spares, 4-5, would be plenty. Stashing away that many has made it expensive for the average fellow to find one. I'm all for making a little profit but hoarding is not in the spirit of the hobby in my opinion. Sooner or later all this stuff will be unwanted and let's see him recoup his "investment" then...

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. If they are all nice and I was 10 years younger it might be of interest to me. I would buy them and some politician will legislate us off the road. Just my luck!:rolleyes:

clem, j3harleys and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Selling the last of those shells shouldn't take too long.

Selling the first 39 is what I'd worry about.

raven, X-cpe, INVISIBLEKID and 3 others like this.
  8. I always wondered what happened to all the original ones. Now I know.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

They're not art forms to hang on you walls? Bob

10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And just think of all the Model A’s you could mess up with those.

11. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm digging the bars on the windows, sure sounds like someplace I want to go with $45k cash in my pocket.

5window likes this.
  12. Was at an auction in the 90's when I bought my first two original deuce grills that still hang on the wall and where I was basically cleaning up on the lots.....glad I only brought my Imperial (big trunk) and so much cash.....those guys/bidders were ready to kick my ass.....but I was a veteran by then and knew to listen to the auctioneer.

13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sheeit! No wonder we can't find any decently priced originals!

clem likes this.
  14. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Probably a bunch of repops mixed in there too by the time you break it down you're paying for Grand a piece

15. 20 years ago I took a hard hit in the stock market, I wish I had invested the money in '32 Fords.

Every time I have put one of my extra grille shells on the market they sold fast, usually within a couple of days.

BTW, like everything else 20 years ago you could buy a very nice '32 Shell & insert for 250 to 350 bucks. HRP

clem, The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Sheesh.... I can remember when you could have bought 40 '32 roadsters for less than that.

17. Take a check? I swear it's good :p

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ermie Imerso had 32 ...32 grille shells hanging in his shop in the 80-90's so Mike has him beat....

The37Kid likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reading though his feed back he has been selling a lot of interesting stuff. I'm thinking that he doesn't have to sell them and doesn't want guys showing up wanting one so the price for the whole batch. .

20. Indian Mike has always come up with interesting parts and cars / bodies. He stepped up, and expects you to do the same.

The37Kid likes this.
  21. I wondered if that was his. He has been into '32's forever and has quite the stash at his house....

22. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Best know your Henry Ford parts dealing with this guy.....

23. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I think original parts might be wanted by people doing by the numbers restorations. Most of those guys have to be in their late 60s and older and most already have the parts they need. The younger people are hot rodders who want the look but not necessarily the authentic parts, they'll settle for a reproduction part. Speedway has Brookville reproductions for $625. I have been in the old Ford truck hobby long enough to know there are swings in values of complete vehicles and parts. I don't see the values of these grill going up as interest in the cars fall. Young people aren't interested in these old cars, sure some are but most aren't. I know my sons' friends, age 25-30 don't have the least amount of interest in working on anything old than 1990.

24. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

Take notes, that auction is what it looks like when you miss the boat.

25. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

No this is not a Joke! Mike is leaving meat on the bone here. Listen Just because you can not afford his price or think his price is too much means nothing. I have missed out on 2 grilles here on the hamb that was priced for over 2K each. Guess what? Both of them were sold! If you do the math on what he has and what the first bid is then it is clear that it is a good deal. I remember when Ken Gross offered his intake collection for 50K no takers as everyone thought he was crazy. I thought he was fair, And If I could of put my hands on the money at the time I would have bought them when they lowered the price to 35K as I would have sold off about 30 of the super rare ones to replace my cash and decorated my bedroom wall with the other 90 plus flathead intakes. Speedway motors ended up buying them. One thing to remember is there are car guys with extra cash sitting in a bank not making them hardly nothing. For them this is a fun way to make some good money on their investment. What is the funniest thing about this post to me is a lot of these guys saying it is too much money will go down to their local RIP off! dealership and pay 50K plus for a plastic f150 and think they got a good buy. lol Everyone who has been around 32 fords knows who he is and someone will step up and buy these. probably not on ebay but look how well this auction has already worked for him. Best advertisement there is when people are talking about what your selling. I just hope someone buys them and will make me a fair deal on a couple of them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    stanlow69 likes this.
  26. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

Im not sure how old you are but I doubt in your life time will you see the day that a original 32 shell is unwanted. And I know at Mikes age he won't see that day. He has been building and collecting all his life!

27. 5window

5window

Well, the issue isn't whether or not an original Deuce shell in good shape is worth $2000, the issue is whether or not anyone needs forty of them or wants to tie up the money, then try to sell them off for a profit. Clearly, the owner has less than $45 K invested, and yet, he doesn't want to take the time to sell them off or he wouldn't be having this sale.
    Then, there's the question of whether or not '32 parts will hold there value in a world where the population of people who love the Deuce is aging, and dying, and where this crazy stack market isn't going to last forever. When Bob Drake has a nice quality, brand new, unmolested shell for $275, you really need to think twice before shelling out $2K for one or $45K for 40 grill shells.

I also note that there is NO statement of condition in the eBay ad and it's local pickup only. I think we'll be watching this ad for a while.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Speedy Canuck likes this.
  28. 5window

5window

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  29. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

I could use 40 original grille shells. I am working towards having enough projects that 40 may not be enough..LOL as far as bob drake or any other company goes. They are not Ford. Original will always be original, and Chinese will always be Chinese. Sorry but my standards won't allow me to use the fake shells that are not even shaped correct. If you are good with it thats fine, It's your car not mine. No need in me arguing with anyone here about this, I will say if I had some real cash that wasn't needed elsewhere I would make him a serious offer and go get them. As far as 45k in cash goes he has sold stuff for alot more money than this on Cash only basis. This guy has had top notch stuff as long as I have known about him.

stanlow69 likes this.
  30. adam401

adam401

I dunno. If theyre all real. If theyre all west coast solid then thats not unreasonable. If my math is right and it may not be its like 1015.00 a piece give or take. If the condition is there then yeah it is what it is. The problem is the volume but thats not a terrible problem if you have the scratch is it?
    For that kind of money he should consider offering shipping though.