Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front axle id

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olskool34, Nov 24, 2019.

1. olskool34

olskool34

Found some axles in the woods today. They were from a big truck but not sure of the year. The wishbones look like larger model A but the axles do not look like any A axles I have. They look like 33-34? Anybody got any idea?

Attached Files:

2. Looks to be AA truck axle.

3. Big truck 33-34 BB. Could even be the same up to 38.
    AA axle is similar but has much smaller brakes.

WB69 likes this.
  4. mountainman2

mountainman2

"FRONT AXLE ID" ???
    In this case, it's like seeing a butt-ugly girl at a dance. You ain't going to ask her out so why would you want to know her name?;)

Curiosity understood. No offense intended. :D

Texas Webb likes this.

5. olskool34

olskool34

The reason I ask is because if the axles are like 34 ford car, I might go grab them just for the axles. Unless big truck axles are different.

6. Fordors

Fordors

King pins are larger diameter, .935 as compared to cars at .813. I think perch pins might be heftier too.

7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The spindles are larger also, but if you did the research to find compatible parts, would make one "Hell-For-Stout" frontend that most people wouldn't notice at first glance! The only drawback might center on those BUDD Hubs that stick out approximately 4" on each side, although the "stick-out" is in the hubs, not the spindles.

8. olskool34

olskool34

Yeah I was just thinking of grabbing them because they are complete with spindles, perch pins, etc. The drums and spring are the only things that look “big truck”

9. Budget36

Budget36

They gotta be wider than a car/PU of the same years I'd think?

10. Truck axles are WAY bigger/heavier than car axles. Totally different.

11. Fordors

Fordors

I’ve seen BB spindles used on some old Indy cars but that’s about it.

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

On my '28 Ford "A-A" I removed the original axle(ford used std "A" axles on the first year, but replaced them with heavier items in '29) & replaced it with a '34 "B-B" axle : the axles were same length perch to perch & kingpin to kingpin(the kingpins are larger diameter), but much heavier : the extra width was due to the BUDD hubs, but the spindles, while heavier, were close to car spindle dimensions. My axle swap used the original spring(although used the "B-B" perches with the shackles narrowed to fit the '28 spring width), "B-B"wishbone, & draglink from the spindle to the steering box : everything lined up correctly. Your major problem would be to find compatible hubs to fit the spindles & maintain the proper wheel width side to side!

13. olskool34

olskool34

Guess they will stay in the woods. Sounds like more work than is worth it to haul them out. Thanks for all the info guys.