Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical rear fender mounting studs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Baron, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hoping somebody on here can give me an accurate measurement on the location of these rear rear fender mounting studs ( all 4 ). I want to install them on my Brookville body. 5W body's also have the same stud location Thanks in advance. rear fender stud location.jpg 20190203_120749 x.jpg

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I know what studs are but what are these fender thingies you speak of!;)

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Something this car will never see :D

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

30 years ago I rented a place from "Danny", the old coot told me of raising the floors in a late 20s touring car, that is where he stowed the moonshine...
    he took the juice to Portland in rectangular charcoal lighter style cans stashed under the new floors ...
    the phaeton broke down so he pulled the plates, set it on fire and walked home...
    He saw me in the hot rod and asked where the h___ are the "mud guards"?

Baron likes this.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Baron likes this.
  6. glennpm

glennpm

Baron likes this.
  7. Baron likes this.
  8. glennpm

glennpm

Thanks Phil, I'll check it out.

9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys. The pic of the blueprint is too blury to read by the time I blow it up to get the measurements. I have somebody who messaged me and said they will make a template from their own car and send it to me. I appreciate the help.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  10. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

I wanted to do the same thing with my Brookville body, made a bondo cast pattern from my buddy's original roadster. If i still have them, i'll message you. The correct studs are available from michael driscoll (third gen).
    Tom

Baron likes this.
  11. Dirk35

Dirk35

Don't you have to have a square hole in the body panel to use those studs, like a carriage bolt has to hold it to the body panel?

Either way, I found it easier to use a captive nut on the inside of the body panel and just bolt the fender up using regular bolts and the captive nuts on the inside of the body panel. Then weld the little tabs of the captive nut to the body panel. That gives you ability to have left-right and up-down movement of both to hole in the fender mounting lip, and the movement of the captive nut in its little cage.

You'll want the captive nuts with the flat tabs, not the ones that have then bent lip to place in a larger slotted hole. If your project was a restoration project that needs to be correct, then yeah, you'd want to use the studs, but we can see the frame modifications that this is not the case. In my experience, the fender studs just round out the little square hole and never stay attached to the inside body panel, so vice grips is usually the method to hold the studs still inside the body.
    Captive nut.jpg Bad Captive nut.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    Baron likes this.