Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 700r4 shift arm position

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Unclebrad, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

Don't know how to delete. Moved to Technical. I think...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am no expert, but do have two T700 tranny's in use.
    First is in my 1960 F100 & the other in a flathead powered hot rod.
    Both of my levers are installed opposite to your picture meaning that the connect point to the shifter is above the connect point to the tranny body.
    So, to me what you have looks wrong as it stands.
    Upon looking at both my tranny linkages for you, I have determined that it is probably not the tranny, but where your shifter is positioned that is causing this problem.
    If you are locked into the current position, then it would appear that you may need to modify the lever arm that attaches to the tranny shaft.
    I don't see that as a big problem to deal with as long as you are convinced that there have been no other changes inside the tranny as you mentioned previously.
    Alternatively, if you are able to reposition your shifter location slightly, this may make the problem disappear.
    The other thing to consider is the adjustment on the linkage threaded rod, it may take a couple of goes to get that exactly how you would like it.
    I've just done a quick search of my old project pic's but don't seem to a pic to show my setup.

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

OK, I found a couple of pic's in my F100 project stuff.
    Best I can do for you...

Attached Files:

4. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

Thanks!
    On my way out the door right now but I will have a good look at it in the morning.
    First quick look seems to be where mine ends up if I reverse the arm, but the "bend" is wrong for that, and it seems like the rod would be trying to push the arm into itself at that straight (almost non) angle.
    BTW, I tried to delete the post here and just have it in "Technical".
    Apparently I failed at that.

5. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

I still can't figure any other reasons why it would be this way. Seems to me that it should be set up to have the leer's range of movement at the most perpendicular positions to the connecting rod for the least amount of resistance up on the column. Like this Lever range 01.jpg Lever range 02.jpg
    So I figure that this is the simplest solution. (Maybe one day I will get around to making up a new lever with the slot adjusted, but...)
    trans arm mod 01.jpg
    OK, on to the next step.
    Stay tuned...

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not seeing that working with the shift arm clocked on the transmission like that. The linkeage looks to be pulling directly against the shift arm, despite the bolted on extension. You can get splined fittings to allow the arm to be clocked as necessary. Kugel? Or file the slotted hole differently?

Chruis

7. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

Thanks for the heads up on the splined fitting. That would be so much cleaner than what I made up. I found a kit for $50 that includes it, which is a little steep when I only need the one piece. But maybe I can find it if I keep looking.

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

On one of my projects I found the need to make my own length of threaded rod to suit the reach required.
    In your case, could it be that your shifter position is not helping.
    The other option is cut the tranny arm off, rotate it to the clock location that works for you and then and weld it.
    I don't see that as too much of a problem.

9. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look further down their page - you can get just the arm with the splines for a few buck less!

Chris

10. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

Thanks guys.

Russ - Cut/rotate/weld would work, but it does look like there are commercial solutions out there, which would be less hassle. Pretty sure the problem is at the transmission. Everything else looks like it will fall into place once that is sorted out.

Chris - Yes, I see it now. Was at a different site.

Been looking around and saw a cable control kit which would replace the rod. This may be the way for me to go because the rod wants to line up right in front of my brake pedal arm and could interfere with that.
    Bending the rod may work, but I still need to test that out. Not taking anything for granted.

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

12. Unclebrad

Unclebrad

Seems like the cable linkage is one I'm most interested in, and there are a couple companies that make them - ididit, lokar, and one or two smaller outfits - but I haven't found anyone who sells it for the 55-57 Chevy truck, which has a 1-3/4" diameter column. The only ones I have found are for 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2" columns. (Fords and later GM)
    First thought is that maybe I could weld a piece of 1-3/4" tubing x 1/8" thick into the clamping arm from a 2" kit to fill it in to 1-3/4" but am not sure that is really the answer.
    Maybe a rod, bent to clear the brake pedal, is the simplest...
    Anyone have experience in this area?