Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternative for expensive seam sealer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 23, 2019.

1. I stopped by Mike's house this morning to see how his wife's 1950 Chevy convertible was coming along, he was under the car putting seam sealer on all the patch panel welds, he was complaining about how expensive the sealer was at almost 15 dollars a tube and he was going to need at least 4 more tubes before he finished, then he would be able to paint the underside of the car.

I told Mike that I had used regular acrylic black caulk I got at Ace hardware on the wagon to seal all the welds, I bought a case of caulk and had spent just under 20 bucks and it worked great and having the wagon up on the rack a couple of months ago it still looks good 8 years later.

I've used this on the Deuce pickup, wagon and the '50.

The caulk is advertised to have a 30 year life and being a acrylic it stays soft so it never gets hard or cracks. HRP

Tim, 1934coupe, ladyhrp and 2 others like this.
  2. I bought some automotive caulk from a cheaper line. 5star
    Paying 15-20+ for seam sealer is tough with a school budget.
    E53613DF-C897-4641-B5BA-1C0A00CDE9D8.jpeg

I like it

3. I second Anthony’s suggestion, I’ve used it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. That's tuff on anyone's budget, the caulk I used was less than 2 dollars a tube. HRP

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'm at the other end, I like the catalyzed two part sealers.......

6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Also home gutter sealer , comes in caulk gun tubes and fairly cheap. hard as rocks and wont crack.

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

8. Used Dap on the 32 back in 94. It's still holding fine.

9. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've used Liquid nails PL 200 on floor seams and its held up well.

10. Also, he’s gone to the trouble of replacing panels and I assume going to paint the car but he’s not willing to spend the extra $100 on seam sealer. I’m cheap but on the grand scale....

ladyhrp, H380, 3W JOHN and 4 others like this.
  11. Been in the bodyshop biz my whole life, and when i was young an old guy showed me that he used liquid nails. Every since that day that's what I've used. Same consistency and OEM stuff

12. Plus it's about $2.25 per tube, cheaper in the box

13. I agree with the Liquid Nails. Anything that makes you use fancy words when you try to remove it 10 years latter must be pretty good stuff.

14. I was offering a alternative, I used the caulking which is designed to adhere to class, wood or metal, it is designed to withstand the elements & it cost significantly less, it will last just as long as the pricey automotive labeled product and does the job.

If someone doesn't have the money for the purpose designed product the Dap caulking works just a well. HRP

15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

theres no alternative to the real thing.i would not use any of your alternatives not even on a prius

16. I used to know a body man who used Roof Jack tar for seam sealer. it comes in a tube like silicon caulking. its the stuff the roofers use around the things that stick through the roof.

17. I understand all of that, I would be nervous about paint staying if I was painting over it. I know everyone says there is cheap alternatives that work as well or better, I’ll stick with products designed for the use when it comes to paint and body because of the money involved in the stuff on top of the whole mess. If it works for you and him then that’s great, I’ll be the sucker paying extra I guess.

jvo, ladyhrp, H380 and 2 others like this.
  18. Paint sticks to liquid nails. Depending in the application you can use a spray bottle of water and a spreader to make it smooth, or i use a cheap paint brush cut short to duplicate the brush marks where needed. But that's me. Go buy fast and firm if that's what you want. We all do it our own way.

Texas Webb, ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and 2 others like this.
  19. I only use this on the floor of the car, both inside and underneath, then I coat it with Restoleum I would never use it on the body. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. That’s good to know, I know I take the side of caution with body materials, I’ve had a few disasters trying to save money with incompatible materials that cost more in the long run. Just how I do it. Believe me, with three young kids I understand watching pennies.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. HRP, that makes sense, in that application I may give it a whirl.

22. Nor would I use it on a prius ether.:rolleyes: HRP

Texas Webb, ladyhrp, RICH B and 4 others like this.
  23. I always used 3M seam sealer, because it was sold on the shelf at the paint supply store. Then like i read somebody else added, they put 5 star beside of it. But i never liked fast & firm. I didn't work good for me. I like the way i do it. It's never failed me on anything from a antique car or a 2019.

24. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I just did some floor pan replacement in my old Power Wagon , I did near same as HRP , hardware caulk , zink primer brushed on , second coat rustoleum top coat . Hope for the best

25. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

I use OSI chaulking $6 per tube it never cracks you can buy it a Lowes.

26. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Five star makes a brushable seam sealer that works great, $18 a quart at my local supplier. No squeezing a caulk gun needed.

27. Was painting some bike parts on a holiday weekend. Used liquid nails to seal a weld joint underneath.
    Worked great

I have never liked 3ms fast and firm.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I wouldn’t own a POS Prius to begin with so it’s a non issue with me :D

jimgoetz, scoop, Bandit Billy and 4 others like this.
  29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Just read the labels or get product data sheets , in many instances , the only thing that's different is the name , ingredients are identical , stop and consider that many products we use were developed by NASA , then applied to compatible markets ..
    I installed hundreds of doors and windows , sunlight is what kills everything ,. The one caulk that was by far the most long lasting is LEXEL. absolutely the best ...

30. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'd do stuff on a Prius that I would never do on a hot rod. I care if the hot rod lasts a long time, the Prius, not so much. Gene

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and nunattax like this.