Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 point retractable seat belt in Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Redrodguy, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

I'd like to install a three point retractable seat belt in my 1931 Model A coupe, but the B pillar doesn't really lend itself to providing a good attachment point for the shoulder "D" ring. The only way I can think to attach the "D" ring is to weld a nut to the backside of a steel plate that then attaches to the wood structure above the back of the side window and extends about 12' - 18" forward. This would tie together several pieces of wood and hopefully provide enough strength to do some good in the event of a crash. I know the best way would be to install a roll cage, but that ain't gonna happen.
    How have you done it? Pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Don

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Take a look at Rich B.’s thread Rich’s coupe a ten year odyssey, he show how he did the seat belts in his coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Instead of the B post, why not go to the seat back itself like in a bunch of current cars? In my car, the B post is too far forward anyhow.

4. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

Great idea - think I'll follow his lead! I appreciate the reply!

5. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

I agree - the B pillar is too far forward. Rich B's solution appears to be spot on.
    Thanks.

6. Can someone post the link to the Rich B build with seat belt install? Thanks.

Phil

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I used the B pillar in my pickup for this, but that probably is not a suitable option in a coupe. I'd also like to see Rich B's installation, if anyone can post a link it'd be appreciated.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Found it. Here's a link to the first post, scroll down from there for more.
    Rich's Coupe - a ten year odyssey

I have to admit, I don't understand how the square tube he used to locate the upper anchor is supported to the cab or where the integrity comes from, but the dude is so good at building I'm sure he did well, I just don't see it. In case of deployment, what holding those tubes in place?

ETA: OK, after staring at it for a while I figured it out. He built an entire structure, tying both upper sections together with cross braces, where also mounted the center belts, and then braced the whole thing with braces going back into the trunk area. Damn, Rich B is a fabricatin' genius. Ima marking that thread for future reference.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019