Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Retirement work load

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Nov 20, 2019.

1. HI Hambers....

I am almost 59 years old...been working on the books since 1977...I don't really wanna retire but I am sick of working 6 days a week...gonna try and do maybe 3 or 4 days a week (in 3 years)...I have enough money saved to buy a place out in N.E. Kansas closer to my son and his family...my wife is gonna stay in upstate NY so we will see how that works out...I am thinking about maybe part time washing dishes at a restaurant, or stocking shelves at a grocery store or pick up a couple more days at my current part time job at the local Home Depot...don't like being home unless I have to be so...we will see...only GOD knows how it will pan out...

Still wanna work on old junk cars too...

MikeC

2. upspirate

upspirate

Good to hear that most folks plans are coming together!

wraymen, hotrodjack33 and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. Yep, that is the price we pay for spending half our life on the road. We miss a lot of things that a 9 to 5 person can take for granted, like important family events, belonging to a club, being home on holidays, and too many more.
    I am lucky, in that I am still in regular contact with my childhood, air force, and airline buddies, but those are still email or phone contacts and an occasional visit. The close local friends, have no interest in cars or building things. It makes a difference.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. I have been retired for 9 years and sometimes i think i need a job so i can get a day off, but i'm loving every minute of it.I spent today trying to put together the body of a 30 Buick coupe with steel because there was no wood left when i bought it .

Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. wicarnut

wicarnut

10 years for me and enjoying it, BUT here's a thought, AS we age, health issues can come earlier than expected, so don't spend Your time doing everyone else's crap, Do what YOU want to do. I like most had a To Do list, but after some time passes and health issues arize you realize most of it doesn't mean shit. So ENJOY your retirement, keep busy, have FUN. This advice is worth the price you paid, My opinion's and $2 buys coffee at my breakfast joint.

tractorguy, j-jock, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  6. ken bogren

ken bogren

Retirement is great. But I'm not quite sure who is aging faster, me or my cars

Roothawg, upspirate and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. raymay

raymay

Roothawg, my plan was similar and also involved goals. I used to have a post-it note on my desk at work with numbers on it. People would ask me about the numbers. They were dates for personal goals I was aiming for. Once achieved I picked the next goal and set a new date. I was able to retire from Kodak in 2004 at age 52 and continued to work in a Auto Recycling business I was a partner in since 1999. My next goal was full retirement and signing up for Social Security at age 62. We ended up selling our business and I beat this goal retiring at 61. I credit my Dad for the valuable advice and examples he gave me. Throughout my working career I was always focused doing my best while living within reason, paying off my bills and investing for retirement. I don't put dates on post-it notes anymore but I have informed my adult children that in a couple years when I reach 70 1/2 I will start spending their inheritance. After that I guess my goals will be the milestone years of 80, 90 and the expectation that they plan a nice party for me at 100.

warbird1, charleyw, upspirate and 2 others like this.
  8. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

After our home was paid off I continued to pay the mortgage to MYSELF. :D
    That money adds up very quickly and we don’t live in fear of an unexpected expenditure.

9. I got a very early lesson in retirement, my dad retired at 67, could have retired at 62, I tried to get him to retire at 62 but he wanted another 5k in savings......... two days after retiring he slipped on a quarter size oil drop on his garage floor, fell and broke his wrist. First time ever for a break of any kind....... 6 weeks later they took off the cast and it wasn't healed, put on another cast. I noticed a change in his outlook he went from a guy who was busy to someone who sat and watched tv. 5 months later he was gone from a massive heart attack. Told my self I would retire the day I was eligible. Did that 20 years ago at 55 and haven't looked back spent the last 20 years enjoying my grandkids and all my hobbies. My garage stays clean and all oil slicks are wiped up immediately.........enjoy it so much don't try calling before 9-10 am..............now spend all my time reliving my youth and playing with flatheads.................still miss dad though.

Rich B., wicarnut, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  10. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

There is an old saying that “Life is what happens while you are planning other things”. Planning for retirement is certainly important and something everyone should do so as not to be a burden on friends, family, kids, etc. I guess what I’m saying is don’t let your goals for retirement make you forget about living and enjoying life in the here and now.

Roothawg, Dick Stevens and upspirate like this.
  11. Carl,
    A very similar thing happened to a close friend of mine. A few months before retirement, he was distracted by something, and stepped off a single step of an entryway, and damaged his back. That was the last good day in the rest of his life.
    Because of the forced inactivity, he rapidly deteriorated, and was never able to regain the ability to enjoy his toys.
    It was a real pity, because he was always an active guy and a lot of fun to be around.
    It is important to make every day count. Happiness is a choice we make.
    Bob

Boneyard51 and Roothawg like this.
  12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We retired to be with our newborn granddaughter, 14 years ago, time flies... Her parents just got new jobs, a new condo, and a new car in successive months prior to our granddaughter being born. That was a little over the top for us, but for those “young” up and coming folks, that is/was their lifestyle. So, who was going to take care of our lovely granddaughter? Now, we were “new style replacement parents” raising a little girl instead of our own little boy from back in those early days.

At the time our son was born, our business was moving on well. But, we had to get a “normal” hot rod or family car for safety. There was no way to install a 3rd middle seat in the back of a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. If we were retired, we would have found a way to make it look good and function safely. But back then, being new parents was a hectic time and if it did not look like a good idea, then out it went… There was no time to fiddle around…a little guy was very demanding for us young parents.

So, jump up many years later and we could see how those young adults were in a bind and luckily, my wife and I decided to retire. It was just in time to raise a fun, little girl by ourselves. Not N.O.S. But, New Old Parents. Ha! This time around, we did the hard work, then could drive home and sleep soundly, when the hard working young parents came home from a hectic workday. That scenario did not last long… So, our granddaughter stayed with us 4-5 days a week and sometimes 6 days a week.

It was the new generation of grandparents’ involvement in raising the new kid on the block.

Jnaki

At first, retirement was fun, but in addition to taking care (4-5 days+ a week all day and night) of our granddaughter, it was job after job in their new condo and then new bigger house. Repairs or safety additions, yard sprinklers/drains, garage set ups, even buying a new car, all of the stuff we had already gone through and now, the new gen needed help.

Over time and 14 years, changes have come and gone. So, the fix it jobs and their idea is that we, as older folks, can’t do repairs like they used to do back in the early days. Cars included... Ha… on them. But, easier on us these days.

But, our sleepovers these days with our granddaughter is just a fun as when she was a precocious toddler. Reading, writing, drawing, jewelry making, games, and talking, is now more involved, but so much fun. It is like looking at the society again through young eyes. No time for any hot rod stuff, but she likes our powerful sounding motor every time she is in our family car(s). It may be hers when the time comes, if she wants it.

My wife already has her eye on a faster station wagon with AWD and 400+ hp. Retirement does funny things in the solitude days… We love every minute of it, and there is no one to boss us around.

Well, maybe, a tall 14 year old granddaughter that has her teenage mind and friends to help her get along in our society full of crazy stuff. But, for 14 years, it has been an eye opener and for us, a wonderful time spent with her… Early retirement? It was all worth it…

exterminator and warbird1 like this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Now I'm 82, and retired 17 years ago in another month.
    Had intended to work for 2 or 3 months past 65th B'Day, but when the airline which paid me as an aircraft machinist closed up it's base in Atlanta I got 6 mos. separation pay (2wks at a time) I didn't get to do that and started my retirement about 5 earlier than planned.
    Had a machine shop and boat prop repair business on the side and continued with that, finally selling off tools, equipment, and inventory for prop shop after just a few years and now I do very little machine work either. Just for friends and interesting jobs that don't require any tooling purchases.
    Enjoy the internet and prolly spend too much time on it, but so what? Have friends that I visit and check on them and their projects, and tinker with my hot rods when the notion strikes me or I want to make a change on them (Are hot rods ever really completed?).
    Haven't had much luck with women and been divorced twice, but i did wind up with a good son, and 2 Grandaughters and 2 Great Grandsons.
    Health ain't what it was years ago, but it's a helluva lot better than that of some of my peers and old clssmates. At least I can still get on a creeper and under a car to work on it. Just takes longer!
    Life is good, and I sure as the devil enjoy it:)

X-cpe, warbird1 and Dick Stevens like this.
  14. upspirate

upspirate

Getting on a creeper isn't hard, it's getting back up off one that's a bitch!:rolleyes:

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I will never have a shop without a lift, ever again. Best investment ever.

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

USPSPirate, Hell all you gotta do is roll off the damn thing and get on all fours, crawl to a work bench or whatever, grab hold and pull yourself up! But I will admit it makes you think about what tools you're gonna need before you get down on the creeper!
    Root Hawg, I agree, but When I bought this shop I was 49 and lifts at a price a hobbyist could afford were unheard of and I didn't think about the 8'6" ceiling except that it would be easier to heat.

upspirate and Roothawg like this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Next big purchase for our shop.

Bones

upspirate likes this.
  18. I have my dream 2 post lift. It is still in pieces, waiting for my garage to get built. I can't wait to have it assembled and working.
    Bob

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. upspirate

upspirate

A friend built his shop with a lift in mind. I can't imagine doing stuff on the ground like I used to, but don't want to abuse the friendship either. Whenever I do any work there, I always at least bring beer, and usually some shop supplies...paper towels,hand cleaner, etc

Yamagrant likes this.
  20. steveareno

steveareno

About a year and a half ago, I retired at 62, from a well-paying job that was unrelentingly stressful and would only lead to ruining my health as I aged further. Of course, I had a list (and still do) of stuff to do around the house, and I got some of the big ones done. Wisely, I had built a "barn" in 2002 that was a slightly oversize 2 car garage. I figured that if I did not build it then, I would find some excuse not to build it when I got to retirement. At first, my '66 GTO (my high school car from 1973) was kept there. Then my wife wanted a much older old car for herself, so a '30 Ford panel delivery was added (which you see next to my avatar) to the stable. But I was always drawn to '32 Ford fenderless roadsters and bought books and magazines and studied the HAMB and Ford Barn, among other sites. Now I had the time, funds, health, friends and space to build one my way. A year later, my traditional hiboy is running and registered but still a work in process (aren't they all?). I lost 20 lbs since retiring and feel great. I consider myself blessed to currently have the trifecta of health, wealth and time. You might say that I'm a "free range human".

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Enjoy it while you can, you never know what tomorrow brings!

warbird1 likes this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I like that “ free range human” ! Awesome!

Bones

23. 6sally6

6sally6

Retired at 57.....that was 14 years ago. I get to see the ocean every morning.
    I've really developed a taste for Alpo! With a little mustard and sweet pickles it ain't bad!!;)
    6sally6

charleyw, X-cpe and Roothawg like this.