Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear end question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I recently bought a 1930 model a hot rod. I am working through items that were left unfinished.

I need rear emergency brake parts. The tag, which i have attached a photo, tells me it is a 66-67 comet or fairlane 8" rear. Or so i think.

Can someone please confirm it is an 8" please? What do the other numbers 6KC 833 mean?

upload_2019-11-22_8-0-34.png
    upload_2019-11-22_8-1-9.png

2. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

3. dudley32

dudley32

from that angle it looks more like a 9 inch...the easiest way to determine if a 9 inches you should be able to get to all the nuts holding the hog head on (but one) with a ratchet...you'll have to remove one with a wrench. On an 8 inch all will be accessible with a ratchet.

4. 2X^^

If you are searching for E-Brake cable and internal hardware, I would start by measuring the diameter of the brake drum, I'm guessing 12 inches, and simply purchase the parts from a vehicle with the same drum size. Exact year make and model should not matter as the leavers and connectors are what make it work.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

BenC ,it does appears to be an eight to me , the top and bottom of the 8 are straight , the 9 is rounded , as for your e brake parts , get your drum width & diameter , then check the usual suspects ( I use rock Auto for reference) mustang , Maverick , Granada, monarch , pinto, bobcat, cougar ,and, fairlane all used the 8" , not alot of variance so pretty easy to match up.....

6. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

It's an 8 inch and the tag says it's a 2.80 gear.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The ‘waffle pattern’ cast into the differential case, and the aforementioned ‘flat’ top and bottom indicate it is an 8” assembly. The 9” diff cases have some variation in the casting pattern but none that match that 8” style.

Ray

8. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

The replys all tell me what i needed to know. Thanks again.