Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Protecting alum intake

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mike Colemire, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I have a tunnel ram, early Weiand, last year I had it all cleaned up, sand blasted, and in 2 weeks it is stained and looks like crap. I've tried clear coat and it turns yellow, I can have it powder coated but I don't really like that plus I figure it will hurt the value. Anyone know of someway to keep it looking good? Maybe a brand of clear coat that won't yellow.

2. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Matte clear powdercoat after blasting.

3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I use Sharkhide for raw, blasted or polished metal....mostly aluminum. If the part is properly cleaned and prepped the coating will last for several years. After a few years I like to apply more to renew the finish. It goes on super easy and can be brushed, sprayed or wiped on. It can be renewed without stripping it off, but it's easily stripped with lacquer thinner.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Water Glass

alanp561 likes this.

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I seen something on that Sharkhide some where a while back. I'd never heard of it before.

6. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

i have an alloy intake on 2 of my cars and have had them ceramic coated and they are practicaly maintainence free...
    just a quik wipe with mr sheen furniture polish when i do the rest of the chrome and everything is schmick

7. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I wish there was someone close that could do that. Shipping is so high now plus the cost of coating.

8. I have been using matte clear ENGINE paint for years on sandblasted intakes. No yellow due to the heat.....

harpo1313 likes this.
  9. For the "new" intake look.......and this doesn't count for leaky carbs! MY alternator/starter shop uses a blast cab,(not your standard, but tumbler) with METAL shot. Washed first of course, but once blasted, it looks like is was factory,or supplier fresh! Cant beat it! I've had several done, and damn!= looks like brand new!
    Just a thought, and maybe some hunting to see who has a "shot" cabinent.......... Glass beading wont cut it for me anymore........ Seek these guys out some- they do it everyday! You wont be disappointed!

10. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

ran across this today looking for stove paint. don't ask.
    www.dampney.com

Budget36 likes this.
  11. There is a transparent Ceramic coating and it's Bullet Proof. I haven't found anything that marks it.

12. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I had an intake glass beaded and shot it with satin finish clear VHT. It was cheap, looks good, and has held up well.

13. Budget36

Budget36

I might give that a try on a set of headers I have and see how it holds up.

14. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Think I'll go with the VHT, that way I can return it it's original look if I sell it.

15. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Ceramic coats are very popular on firearms in a variety of colors and clears. If you don’t have a powder coater or someone who sprays the ceramic coating in your area you might look for a gunsmith and ask if he does the coatings or knows of someone that does.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. A Boner

A Boner

I clean my "as cast" Halibrand quick change with Gibbs Oil. Seems to lift the grime out of the porous aluminum pretty good. It looks real good, with just a little bit of occasional maintenance with a old tooth brush, Gibbs oil and some paper towels.