Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods With the cold come signs of old age...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Nov 21, 2019.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Sil glyde at Napa -5oz@ $16.99
    Sil- glyde at advanced Auto 4oz @$6.49
    Hmmmmm

Hnstray likes this.
  2. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I hate the cold with a passion, my dick survivals up so bad I can't find it sometimes,LOL

3. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Have used Sil-Glyde for several years. Used it when racing on high rpm bearings with great success.

4. My brother had a ranchero that squeaked 24/7/365, you could hear him coming a block away, he was a mechanic and just couldn't find the cause. He took everything completely apart cleaned and greased, soaked everything rubber in oil or wd40, it had so many drip spots under it, finally he threw in the towel and sold it. He was stumped and it wasn't good for business, every now and then I think about that old squeaky red ranchero and wonder what he missed.
    Now myself, I'm loaded with injuries and arthritis, on doctor prescribed medications and also self prescribed over the counter remedies, this year I'm making a strong effort to insulate the garage better to keep my bones a little less painful while I'm out there and the few hrs afterwards.

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

35 years of manual labor in the worse weather conditions , I’m busted as an over inflated bicycle tire tube . Three gut surgeries , a year of chemo , 30 days of radiation , 2 neck fusions , and CHF , 3 types of arthritis , I’m just on a day to basis as to what I do and when I do it . Any weather change is a real bitch x 10 . But you have to stay positive , look around it can always be worse , I’m thankful I’m as good as I’m .

mnjeff likes this.
  6. leon bee

leon bee

I live in the hills, and I like to coast down hills a lot. My old stuff doesn't coast as fast or as far in cold weather.

7. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a hip replacement 6 weeks ago . I asked the doctor for a grease zerk in the new joint......he had no clue what i was talking about.
    Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

raven likes this.
  8. finn

finn

We bought a winter hideaway down here in Tucson. It’s been in the low sixties and raining off and on and the Nav system on the Jeep is going beserk flashing winter storm warnings.

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

"With the cold comes signs of old age", how true is that? Well, the cold has arrived in So Cal. Just a couple of days ago, some places got their first blast of snow at the ski resorts. The local mountains, yes, the higher elevation resorts in the Sierra Nevada Range, lots of snow. So, it has begun... Some of our relatives are in for a "slog," driving to Yosemite for the holidays. There is snow predicted for almost the whole week, starting on Wednesday.

But, living on the coastal ranges, we just got blasting cold weather, rain, and wind. That made for a very cold few days and a welcome to our version of winter holiday season. If we look back to those early days of teenage and then 20-30 age days, we would have looked forward to the cold blast of air. We would have put on our wetsuits and despite the freezing cold, paddled out to our favorite surf break for some “hot” waves. After a few days of rain, the weather calmed down enough to get good waves. But, the pollution was at a lower level, if at all, with the swirling and consistent waves created by the oncoming swells.

It was fun while it lasted, including a slightly frozen face while sitting on the boards waiting for the next set coming in from the horizon. The anticipation overcame the cold and when the rides were over, it was actually very warm underneath the sealed wetsuit. (and definitely in the heated station wagon)

Jnaki

Ahhhh youth, Those were the days. These days, there has and is always a 10-20 degree temperature change from the coastal areas to places just 15 minutes inland. (we get 60 degrees at the coast, but it is 75-80 degrees inland) But, even driving to our granddaughter’s house 15 minutes away, it was time for a jacket to ward off the colder temperatures. In our coastal areas, walking the dog now requires a jacket these past few weeks. So winter is approaching, if not already here and it is a lot colder for these old bones.

But last week on a visit to our granddaughter’s house inland, we saw a cool blue roadster with the beige top up, in the afternoon. The occupants were having a late afternoon cruise and were probably headed home. The top helped with the 70 degree sun bearing down on them at a stop light, but, driving would have caused a jacket or two to be used, regardless of age. The shaded areas cause the temps to drop a few degrees.

Hot rod cruising still happens despite the cold. If we still had our old hot rods, we would still be cruising around wearing jackets or not. That is unpredictable, but mild, So Cal for you…

10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Well because Wisconsin loves their road salt, My girls get to enjoy spending the winter sitting in a nice warm ,dry, heated garage so their fine. Me on the other hand at 64, works as a carpenter building 4 to 5 story apartment complexes in the cold and the snow so I can afford to HEAT! that nice warm , dry garage! The cars are warm and quite and I am cold, in pain and BITCHY! lol Larry

11. 1ton

1ton

I especially liked the speedometers in every old Chevy truck I've owned that went totally ape shit when the temps dropped below freezing.