Register now to get rid of these ads!

field trip: Jack's Auto Ranch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skiviskaves, Apr 13, 2012.

1. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

OldschoolSS and I went out to Jack’s Auto Ranch yesterday, outside of Concord, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:State>WI. This place is cool! It’s pretty much a swamp, and most of the cars out in the yard are pretty far gone, and half sunk, but it’s worth a visit. Don’t miss the warehouses full of the decent parts that have been pulled. I ended up taking home a pretty minty set of ‘51-52 <st1:City w:st="on"><ST1:pPlymouth </ST1:p</st1:City>hubcaps for my ‘40. Oldschool got some trim for his ‘58 wagon and a few other misc parts. I know I'll be back for more.
    Jack and his crew are a quirky bunch and could rub ya the wrong way, but they are good ol’ boys doing the Lord’s work out there if you ask me. Prices from steals to premium, and I think they likely vary from day to day depending on Jack’s mood. Jack doesn’t haggle much and I wouldn’t recommend trying. When he barks out the price that’s it, take it or leave it, otherwise you’ll just piss him off.
    Call ahead if you know specifically what you need. Make sure you wear boots or you probably won’t be allowed to set foot in the yard, and don’t bring your young kids. Otherwise, have fun!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Stogy and bobss396 like this.
  2. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

It was a great day to go junkin. I now know first hand about the boot rule and that he doesn't like people that try to haggle him down. Oops. But you have to give the guy credit. He keeps stuff out there long after other owners would have crushed it.

There was some punk kid in there with a scrapping company trying to talk Jack into crushing everything. I was ready to shove the 31 chevy headlight I was holding up his a$$. From the way it sounded he was going around to all the old yards telling the owners it isn't worth keeping them around. On top of that the DNR is requiring all yards to have retention ponds for their storm runoff next year. This will put a lot of the smaller guys under. I'd recommend to get out to your hidden gems while you still can.

If you're looking for caddy or tri-5 wagon stuff it seemed like the yard to go to. They had a lot of it out there. But like Skivi said a lot of the stuff is really, really rough.

A few years ago I kept holding off on picking stuff up at Vans until my list got bigger. Then my Dad and I went and he had crushed the whole yard. I never was a big fan of the new owner. But I guess he got tired of guys trying to talk down 5 dollar items to a dollar.

3. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Well, not a lot of response. Hope this thread helps lead someone out there. Any other input from people with experience at Jack's???

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

id love to go poke around all these yards everyone post about with old metal and save all my dream vehicles and some i didnt know i wanted yet lol , problem is all i have is the dreams , lack of money and being to far away , make s it all impossible

5. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Is that a Packard made into a pickup in picture #5? I'm in Wisconsin, but never heard of Concord.
    Tom

6. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Nope, not a Packard pickup, likely had the rear end cut off. Concord, WI is about halfway between Milwaukee and Madison right off I-94.

7. Damaged1

Damaged1

Been to Jack's a bunch of times and think I bought something everytime. Great place to just walk around and think of the stories those cars could tell.

Usually see Jack at the Jefferson swap meet too.

BTW, I saw that Ranger on Hwy 164 last week on my way to work, is that yours?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. nutajunka

nutajunka

Love the wall of wheels.

9. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Yep, that's me. I work right off 164. That Ranger was my 1st car, got er when I was 15 yrs old, my buddy painted it for me when I was 16. That's exactly the way it looked in high school. Now I've owned it half my life, had too many memories, broads, and shit shows with that truck to ever let er go.

10. johnnybronco

johnnybronco

Nice shots! Looks like my kind of place. :D

11. jimbousman

jimbousman

Jack's a great guy. We run our car show over at his Concord Inn in Concord.

12. looks like a fun place.

13. ..been to Jack's a number of times, great place, great selection and prices.,...always worth a visit.
    Did he let you take pics?...I've asked before but he said no cameras.

14. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

Yeah, Jack hosts a lot of great music at the Concord House too, that's actually where I first met him. I'll be out at the Boondocker's show for sure. I'm thinking about doing the Friday night cruise and fish fry this year too. May 11th and 12th at the Concord House for those that don't know. See ya there!

Honestly, I didn't ask about the photos, had my camera in my pocket and didn't think twice. shhhhhh :D

15. sawzall

sawzall

i had the chance to visit jacks once.... there are some great finds buried deep in the brush..

16. sdacx

sdacx
    BANNED
    from gege

Well, not a lot of response.Beats By Dre Hope this thread helps lead someone out there

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

stay the heck out of there :)

18. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I was there a couple of years ago.I met Jack at jefferson and asked him about some parts for my early nova and he said he had them.I got down to the yard and told the guy behind the counter that i had talked to Jack at Jefferson and he says what did he tell you we have that we probably don't? It is a very interesting place and i did find the parts i was looking for.Make sure if you go you take extra shoes with you to wear in your truck on the way home(smell and muddy)

19. sawzall

sawzall

like i said.. deep in the brush..
    [​IMG]

thankfully my rental car was "just" big enough

[​IMG]

20. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Been going there for almost 30 years. It's hard to find a deal though, Jack and the boys want plenty for parts that are pretty well shot. Time does damage in Wisconsin.

Still, it's a blast to walk around and see the vintage tin. Fun times!

21. OldSchoolSS

OldSchoolSS
    from WI

A little yard condition report. I was just out there yesterday, it's not too swampy yet. The mosquitos are starting to pick up so i'd go out there on a windy day. They only got to me where i was in areas that had the wind blocked. The grass and brush are starting to get high & thick.

I still can't believe how much caddy stuff he has out there. Too bad I don't have use for any of it.

For those in the area that have wanted to check it out stop on by before it's too late. Like I said the DNR isn't making it any easier for these guys to stay in business. The more you pull the better the prices he gives you. Or maybe he was just in a good mood... I pulled everything I thought I might need for my car that was usable. Basically clutch pedals for my trans swap, stainless trim which is really easy to remove when the clips are rotted away, and the rear tailgate lock/latch. Taller guys should wear a hard hat. I nailed my head at least 15 times poking around in the school buses and in his one building.

I wanted to get a gauge cluster and radio but the radio wouldn't budge as it was in a vehicle with no roof and i figured the odds of it working again were slim to none. The gauge clusters weren't much better than what i have so i decided to call it a day.

Overall it was a vacation day well spent.

22. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

A very cool place to visit, with lots of nifty stuff. :cool::cool::cool:

23. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Spent the morning at Jacks today. Doug is running the place as Jack is not as sharp as he used to be but still is hanging out at age 83 !There is still quite a selection after all these years. Guess a couple Swedes filled a rental van last week with Cadillac parts.
    IMG_0681.JPG

Attached Files:

24. Funny....those same Swedes hit out place in the 80's and into the 90's until we crushed out due to the city and the trust the yard was left to after the owner died.

25. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

26. ...few pics from a few years ago...
    Jack's auto 003.jpg Jack's auto 004.jpg Jack's auto 006.jpg jack's 11-6-17 002.jpg jack's 11-6-17 013.jpg jack's 11-6-17 015.jpg jack's 11-6-17 036.jpg jack's 11-6-17 035.jpg jack's 11-6-17 011.jpg

27. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I was at Jack’s a few weeks ago, it was very wet some places the water was over a foot deep. The back of the yard had standing water so I did not try to make my way in that direction. It has been very picked over since my last visit. There are still quite a few old cars there but the winters have not been kind to them.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

29. sorry to hear this

30. Just heard about Jack's passing a couple days ago, Think Doug will still be running the yard. Not sure what will happen with the Concord House and Campground though. RIP Jack

chryslerfan55 likes this.