Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mystery 'Vert

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Mystery 'Vert

[​IMG]

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

One of the best 40 vert's I have ever seen

williebill and Stogy like this.
  4. belair

belair

Quite a hair cut. Tuff looking car.

williebill and Stogy like this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A little too much off the top.

B Bay Barn, texasred and 40FORDPU like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-11-20_9-5-30.png
    Hello,
    That photo "enlarged" has a "...FOX" sign the roof of a brick building. There was an old radio station on Anaheim Street, a few blocks away from our old Long Beach Poly High School Campus. Anaheim Street was/is a major cross town street running from the edge of Palos Verdes/San Pedro all the way to PCH in Long Beach, where there used to be a Hody's Drive-in restaurant. In 1946-48, we lived in a trailer park just down the street in that old neighborhood of the old KFOX building.

Jnaki
    If the photo is in the old Anaheim Street, Long Beach neighborhood, some of the old guys still around the Long Beach area from those old car clubs might be able to give a more accurate information.

Nice old photo not seen before.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  7. Great catch, jnaki.:D

Stogy and jnaki like this.
  8. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Any pictures of the possible car from 10 years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. There is a front shot of the 40 in Strother McMinn's beautiful book. Unfortunately he provided no additional information as far as owner etc.

Mick

Tim and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it a lot, a Custom with Attitude with huge blindspots, Oh Yeah...but they weren't really built with that in mind of course...

I hope some additional info comes up...

What's with the Strange reflections on the rear fender in the skirt area...it looks like the skirt is offset and miniature or perhaps there is a nearby car reflected into the fender...

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20191120_133101.jpg 20191120_133119.jpg 20191120_132200.jpg Carson (Los Angeles, CA), or maybe Gaylords (Bell, CA), top -

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ryan do you you have any pics of Ken's Custom that he thought might be the topic of discussion...sounds like a nice addition to this thread...if you can't locate the real deal a close match would compliment the thread...one pic wonders...how valuable are they, eh...

APACHE FS likes this.
  13. Current San Diego Symphony Building was orginally a Fox Theater. Based on that and other building looks like it says something like "First" or Fifth" , I say picture was taken on "A" St. Near 5th St. There is a First Republic Bank and parking structure in that area.

Edit: Research shows System Auto Park 1950 address of 1166 8th St. and Fox Theater main entrance was on "B" St. , so photo may have been taken on "B" St. near 10th street.

Uncle Bob and jnaki like this.
  14. Just needs dropped in the back

Does the car behind it have a frenched head light?

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If someone could post that photo maybe it’s got some additional clues?

16. That is a real tidy Carson top. Nice.

Special Ed likes this.
  17. KKrod

KKrod

I think I saw something about it in a feature on Kustomrama website.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. @Ryan Location of picture solved. As I posted earlier along "B" St. from 10th looking toward Fox Theater. It just might be the car Larry has with the San Diego connection.

San Diego 1946/47 B St. addresses:
    710.0.Fox Theatre ~echt L R eng Powell T H Ins 722.0.Montgomery Ward -& Co 729.0.Drake Hotel 739 Ewing J C auto pk 1 8th a'v Intersects 802.0.Camlel Zel gro 810 Bradley 0 L barber · c ride Hazel C chlro- 814 Roberts Chas reetr Praetor 818 "C i , .0.McBrlde -R J chiropractor .-. Reemelln R L acct Y am el Zel variety store .O.McBr.ld w ~ 820 Lippman Sarni clo clnr 5014.BaU · H A chlr~pr~tor 840.Goodrich B F Co tires 9th av Intersect 9051).Dorman•s Inc auto acces-. 912.0.Calta -M F gas sta 4LacotaRrlasl Serv &.Michael's used cars·
    Also Michael's Signal Service is listed at 912 B street in 1950.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    jnaki likes this.
  19. Hammer time! Love the chop. A guy had one much like that in Stamford, CT. Back in the day. Bad ass.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-11-21_5-32-47.png
    Hey C,

I would say that my recollection of the KFOX Studios in Long Beach in that old photograph is off, since your facts and enlarged photos seem to be the correct building structures. My hat is off to you. We have driven by that new Copley Symphony Hall many times in our last 7 years of visiting San Diego weekly. We did not know of that particular portion of history.

Thanks... our road trips were to see and attend those little cool restaurants all over San Diego's different areas. One of our favorites was the Queensland Public House, several city blocks to the Northwest of the Copley.
    upload_2019-11-21_5-39-18.png upload_2019-11-21_5-39-29.png
    If one looks at the 1928 photo of the building, the FOX tower had distinct spires. In the custom car photo, the OX and spires are evident, when the photo is enhanced and enlarged.
    upload_2019-11-21_5-40-1.png
    Jnaki

So, if this was taken in the 1940s-50s, the oldest hot rod club in San Diego is the famous San Diego Prowlers. There are still many members with tons of old memories and photos. Perhaps one of them would enlighten us to the hot rod/custom car photo information.
    Jim R? Andy B? or send me an email/PM

Stogy, Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. exterminator

exterminator

Amazing. Some of you guys must be wanabe detectives! LOL

Stogy and jnaki like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

Hey E,

It is old school forensics with easy access to friends in San Diego and of course, the internet searches. It is funny that you would mention that, my wife has always thought we could be detectives back when we were younger. Or now, use the searches as old guys/girls trying to solve "unsolved" cases. That is intriguing.

Jnaki
    We had no time back then to do that kind of stuff. But, these days, there is plenty of time to do fascinating searches and research. It is just like those old college research days until 3 a.m. in the morning, in the darkened library stacks.

23. Prowler charter member Dick Bradford in 1948. Car appears to have skirts. Maybe before chop? Looks like could be same guy in other picture.
    cache_3257676604.jpg

Tim, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed but you can't get away from the larger rear side profile on the 40 Tops...but what's great to see is that it can be worked into a positive outcome...I hope someone comes up with a some more Custom dirt...

25. John-Geraghty-1940-Ford.jpg
    a little better pic of one with the running boards gone
    think I like it

Hank37, Stogy and Jalopy Joker like this.
  26. Special Ed

Special Ed

What's left of the original Prowler guys, are getting pretty long in the tooth these days. I do know a few of 'em, and their president lives lives within walking distance to me, so I'll try to stop by his place and see if he can shed some light.
    The Prowlers have kept their history together, and showed off 70 years worth of their photos at their last (and final) picnic, a few years ago at Grape Day Park. Their current historian will probably know for sure.

27. Also check with the original Oilers club members they were from that same area and might know something.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  28. socal34

socal34

I pick up that picture in frame about 10 to 15 years ago at the Portland swap meet. It a 11 x 14 photo. Would like to know more about it. Heavy chop IMG_4032.JPG IMG_4033.JPG

29. Here's the front shot from Rik Hoving Archive
    [​IMG]