Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Battery mounting...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Probably a stupid question, but is it possible to mount a sealed "lead acid" battery on its side?

2. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Some, yes, others, not. The ones with liquid acid in them probably won't work, others with the acid absorbed in glass mat or something like that MAY. Read the info about the battery you have in mind, if it's okay to lay it down the info will say so.

lothiandon1940 and squirrel like this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Several years ago I saw a T bucket with 390 Caddy engine and he had the Optima battery mounted sideways on the frame. Said it was no problem and that he'd built it that way and hadn't had any problems with it.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It has to be an AGM battery (Absorbed Glass Mat) and then it can be mounted on it's side.
    I have one mounted in my RPU that way.

Cosmo50 likes this.

5. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I have an "Optima" battery in my 48 Plymouth. It's mounted sideways, and works just fine.

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      82.8 KB
      Views:
    fordflambe likes this.
  6. I have an Optima battery in my boat I can switch out for a conventional battery. Thanks for the advice...