Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Billy Gibbons' 1950 Ford "Kopperhed"

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Billy Gibbons' 1950 Ford "Kopperhed"

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

cfmvw, scotty t, MO54Frank and 18 others like this.
  2. I too remember picking up that magazine and thinking to myself that this the nicest shoebox Ford I have ever seen and my feelings haven't changed.

The car is a prime example that wild modifications can be accomplished with restraint & simplicity and the end results can be jaw dropping, I would love to have this car in my garage.

The Eliminator and Cadzilla are cool cars but the shoebox IMHO is the real stand out in the collection. HRP

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  3. That car stood out so much in the billet laden monochrome custom world it was created in.
    One of my favorites.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

BFG is one of the coolest guys ever. He has great taste in damn near every aspect of life. Kopperhead proves this. One of my faves. Hard to believe it was 23 yrs ago!

Driver50x, OLSKOOL57, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  6. the-rodster

the-rodster

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Sorry, not feeling it at all. From a customizing perspective, the chop is high in the back. Also, the lack of a quarter window makes the car look stubby, like one of the big-butt Mopars, which is an unappealing look IMHO. The car simply doesn't have the fast-looking flow like a well chopped car should. The C pillar is gargantuan and the window size and C pillar are disproportionately large in relation to the quarters, which almost gives it a sectioned look. Obviously a well built car with lots of great workmanship, but stylistically I'm not a fan.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    TS057, vtx1800, craig b blue and 6 others like this.
  9. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

When that car was built I liked it. Today I prefer the lines of my stock 49 better IMG_4141.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. It's a little bit of a throwback to the style of the coupes from 15 years earlier.........
    which I have always liked so I like the style of this '50 that 'evolved' from it's past.
    To paraphrase, "I give it a 10, Mr. Clark, because I like the words and the music".

pitman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Loved it then,still love it now!

scotty t, Stogy and Torchie like this.
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

I like it a lot better than many tail draggers and there's nothing about it that I would change.

seb fontana, pitman, nunattax and 2 others like this.
  14. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Ford should have built one like that.

15. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Love it,kinda surprised no one else ever tried to pull this off.

16. jim snow

jim snow

I liked then and now.jmho. Snowman

Stogy likes this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Drooled over that magazine for weeks, always going back to look at Kopperhed

pitman and Stogy like this.
  18. goldmountain

goldmountain

19. Always respected the restraint from what was typical of the era.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, Hotdoggin DaddyO and Just Gary like this.
  20. love the photo in the back alley - you wouldn't take Eliminator or Cadzilla. No rear quarter window? Nobody's business whats going on in the back of the car :)

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That car is very striking and I have thought that from the first time I saw it. I dig subtle. However, I've always thought that the "C" pillar or "sail panel" was just a tad to big, a tiny bit too wide and a tiny bit too high where it meets the roof. It just seems a little too "flat" on an otherwise roundish car. An inch or two lower and narrower would make it perfect.

22. I've always been a huge shubox fan. My first car was a 50 crestliner and I've had several since...all coupes except 1 two door sedan. I wondered what a 3 window would look like using the sail panel from a 4 door. Billy's car is better. I love it but would still like to try building one without the chop. .

23. This car was a radical and mild custom and factory prototype all wrapped up into one. I too remember it well gracing the magazines. A nice change of scenery from Cadzilla.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  24. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

I think it's beautiful.

[​IMG]

50Fraud, Lil32, deuce295 and 5 others like this.
  25. Great stance and the roof has a nice crown to it- an aspect of the chop that is often lost.
    The guys that built it have an eye for this kind of stuff. There’s a term for that... Oh yeah -Vision,talent and experience.

26. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Jake did all the body modifications .
    I did the chassis , plumbing , exhaust , all the " hook up " , Radio surround , & more .
    The rest of the team at So Cal did the paint etc.
    I really liked this project , and the end result !

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Jive-Bomber, Thanks for sharing this Jewel...ZZ has helped keep the Vintage Dream Alive and have a distinct respect for the past despite some Modern themed Classic Customs and Hotrod...They have pretty good taste in those that execute those dreams as well...;)

Great Job Pete and Team...you fella's get to meet some Interesting Folks indeed...

@HEMI32 thanks for the added in work pics that just add to the flavor of the thread...I love bare metal excellence...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  28. Proportions?
    I can see where some can critique. I love a chopped kustom.
    However, I see this car as a phantom, a car the factory could have created.
    The factory would not have over chopped or pancaked the roof.
    The proportions look like a factory build.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always liked the car simply;y for it's simplicity and lack of stuck on frufru that is so popular now.
    I must not have studied the photos that well back when it showed up on the scene though as I always thought it was a cut down business coupe with no back seat.
    I'm thinking that it is one of those cars that looks far better in person than in photos though.

Just Gary likes this.