Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thoughts....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1stGrumpy, Nov 20, 2019.

1. I know that I am opening up a can of worms with this question but I really would appreciate some input.
    I have been approached with an offer for my '51 Olds, a guy here in town wants to trade me a '51 Pontiac 2 dr. Chieftain and a '35 Olds F35 4 dr sedan straight up.
    I went over to his place, yesterday, to take a look. The '35 looks to be original, straight 8 flathead and 3 speed trans. The body looks good, paint looks to be original with only 1 small dent. Interior is shot! He is currently rewiring it, engine has good compression but I have yet to hear it run. I will have to hear it running before any deal is made. Brake system has been completely gone thru including master. This has the 4 suicide doors and also has artillery wheels with brand new blackwall radial tires.
    The '51 Pontiac also has the flathead straight 8 and Hydramatic trans. It also appears to be complete. Paint is shitty but I was unable to find any bad spots in the body, interior looks like it is 68 years old but seat covers would make it presentable. The straight 8 sounds good and has good compression. It starts right up! Has 4 new Coker 3" whitewall tires.
    Here is where I am in my thought process. Keep the Pontiac and sell the '35 Olds. I think that with a little work, mainly interior, the '35 should be worth between 5k and 7500. More than enough to do the '51s interior and get the body in a tinted primer.
    I used to have a '50 Pontiac Catalina with the 8 and Hyrdamatic and have always regretted selling it.
    I know that without pictures it is hard to voice an honest opinion but I would like your thoughts in general. Thanks...

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

That's pretty cool! Give us some info on the '51 Olds to go off of.

Sent from my cp3705A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Yes...assess your Olds in the same manner as you did his car, so we have something to go by.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Yep pics of at least your Olds........if your young at heart......go for it......

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Check out my build thread...
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/back-in-black.1127850/

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Just me, but I would keep the Olds.:D 3.jpg

7. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Tough one. The Olds is super clean. The 51 is a 2 door. The 35 might be a hard sell.

8. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Sounds like you had a hell of a party with the starter and carb setup!

9. Yeah, it was a bitch getting past them!

10. Yeah, I have to agree with ya. I guess that the '35 is what I'm concerned about, might be hard to find a buyer for it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

should have put a vote block at top of page - I am an Olds fan - but, do what is best for you

1stGrumpy likes this.
  12. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

I'd say keep the Olds, I love the look you have going on there. No sense in doing the same thing to another car to have close to the same car, it would make more sense to me putting the Pontiac "fix it" money into the interior of the Olds. That's just my opinion though, and I'm sure my ass smells like everyone elses!

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Check PhilA's build on his '51 Pontiac. Lots of good stuff there.

14. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With all due respect to the proposal of the trading of your 51 Olds, for the other two automobiles, I would keep the 51 Olds. That is a great car, and you already own it. Even though I know the 2 door version of your Olds is more desirable, ( my 47 dodge business coupe is a 2 door ) I like your Olds because it is a 4 door, what you have there is a dam fine comfortable automobile, I hope you keep it!

lothiandon1940 and 1stGrumpy like this.
  15. Yes, I have been following his build.

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Jim, I love your Olds. One of my best friends in high school had a black '50 88 4 dr, so I am a bit biased. We had a lot of fun running around in that car.

1stGrumpy, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

I would never trade a nice complete driver for a couple of big projects.

drdave, treb11, kidcampbell71 and 7 others like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

+1

treb11 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Only you can decide whats best for you. That said, that black Olds is nice and ready to hit the road. I don't think a 35 Olds 4 door is very high on too many people's want list and starting over and spending a bucket load of dollars on the Pontiac would not be very exciting to me. Just my opinion and like my Dad always said "Opinions are like A$$holes, every body has one"

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I believe if you trade that black Olds off, you'll regret it the rest of your life. My 3rd running car was a greenish gray '35 Olds F-35, and I loved it. I traded it straight across for a '50 Olds 4 door.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Might review @PhilA thread on rebuilding his Pontiac for some insight into the possible rebuild of the Pontiac fwiw. Personally, I'd keep the Olds. Beautiful car and you know (my presumption) what you have there.

Lerenzo Rawson and pitman like this.
  23. Stooge

Stooge

i have a pretty big bias for Pontiacs, but without seeing pictures of the '51 chieftain in question, I would say keep that beautiful Olds. It has what looks to be great paint, your getting it running right and although I don't love the green interior, its in good shape and is presentable looking. .........On the other hand, I do love Pontiacs and early '50s 2drs and straight 8s. What is the market like on a '35 Oldsmobile 4dr sedan with a trashed interior and what sounds like wiring issues? is it going to be a hassle to sell/ going to sit on it for awhile? etc.

im no help :oops:

24. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

i'll keep the olds.....;)

25. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, they are much appreciated. The reason that I posed this question was because I was on the fence about this and in particular was concerned about the '35s sale-ability. I personally don't care much for the looks of the mid thirties GM automobiles and the only market that I see for them is with the restorers or maybe the low-riders on the west coast. My only real interest was in the Pontiac but it is nowhere near the condition of my Olds. Thanks again, you pretty much reaffirmed my thoughts on the deal...

TrailerTrashToo and 302GMC like this.
  26. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I’d keep the Olds. But that’s just my opinion as I think 49to53 Pontiacs are not near as good looking as same year Oldsmobile

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. I see why the guy from town wants to trade. Your Olds is a proven driver plus a V8 and cruise worthy today while the other two are projects and won't be on the road 'til later. This is more than parts and paint. You have to factor your time, too. If you value your time as $0, it might be an okay trade. Otherwise, you may be going backward somewhat.

28. pumpman

pumpman

I'd keep the Olds at home. It's a great looking car.