Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods pattern materials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This probably will get kicked but I want to make a hood for my highboy and am trying to find single ply? cardboard large enough to make a pattern....anybody here have an idea where I can get something bigger than 8x10......or some other material for pattern making.

2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I have used poster board. Got it at art supply place was approx 4' x 6'. Old political signs work great also.

deathrowdave likes this.
  3. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

4. I thought you were talking about paint patterns like Chantilly lace....

5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not familiar with the businesses in your area. If there is a corrugated box company or a Die Cutting job shop, you should be able to buy a few sheets of .035 chipboard. We own a die cutting company here in Maryland. We have several about 10 skids of that weight chipboard in 48" x 84 " ( 4 foot by 7 foot ) on hand all the time. Sizes may vary !
    You also might try Grainger. They have a lot of product like this.
    I went through Thomas Net and found these companies. Good Luck
    https://www.thomasnet.com/southern-california/die-cutting-22510804-1.html

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  6. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

all great places to try thx all

7. I got some that’s 48x40 for separating layers on pallets. It’s like a 12pk soda can carton material. That shit is great for pattern materials.
    Check with shipping and material handling supply places.

8. I lie the cardboard interior shops use. You can bend it in a brake and it’s sturdy enough to hold itself up

9. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

As toxic waste said, Hobby Lobby carries a heavyweight poster board that’s about the thickness of shoebox cardboard, but it’s only about 32”x42”. I use quite a bit of it. It will hold shape better than plain old thin poster board.

10. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Lowes or home depot will have them from some of their pallet deliveries.

11. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Menards has floor protection it is thick cardboard. Its 100 feet long. Screenshot_20191120-215254_Samsung Internet.jpg

12. Picture framing mat board is about 1/16 thick if you want something that is sturdy and takes sharp pencil lines really well. standard size is 32 x 40, oversize is 40 x 60. Your local frame shop may have some marked/damaged matboards they'll sell you cheap.Hobby lobby sells the standard size only I believe.
    Unless things have changed since I was in the business, Bainbridge fabric mat boards use to come packaged singularly in a plastic bag with a sheet of chipboard over the fabric side for protection. That chipboard is throw-away stuff for a frame shop, so you might ask about that as well.

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

It comes (2) 48" x 96" sheets when I order one 48" x 96" sheet of 20 gauge sheetmetal. Last week I threw 2 old sheets away because they were wrinkled. Its hard to find a place to keep them dry and straight around here. Gene