Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Retirement work load

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by in the weeds, Nov 20, 2019.

1. in the weeds

in the weeds
    from Kansas

Have several retired friends, some stepped into it at 55-57 others 65 and so on. its wierd because some guys are like i never looked back some were like man i never new i would be so stinkin busy in retirement, i work harder now than when i was workin to make a living, said between dealing with parents estates and a house thats 20 plus years out of date, church involement etc etc he is runnin harder now than when he had day job. How many of you guys actually kicked back and did what you wanted at your pace and how many found themselves neck deep in to dos that never got taken care of when you were in the work force. most of my friends dont regret retirement but a couple do because thier job was thier whole life kinda thing or they enjoy not going to work every day but miss the money. whats your story did retirement let you sit back and relax or did you find your self looking at huge to do list ( not talking cars and toys) that now you get to address

tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Retired, never better

osage orange and loudbang like this.
  3. Once you retire, everyone knows it and figures you have all the time in the world to help them with their projects.:eek:

4. hayu

hayu

learn to say no. I got a lot say your not doing anything now I need you to do this. It gets old quick.

5. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Since I have retired and my wife still works, I have picked up all the house work and cooking chores in addition to my regular man chores around the house. I like being able to set my own schedule of what I'm going to do, or not do. That said, I do miss the money I made while I was working.
    Money and no time, or time and no money (not really no money, but not what it used to be).
    All in all, I feel freer, and that's a good feeling to me.

6. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If you don't have a hobby you really enjoy, you will not be happy when you retire! I enjoy my retirement more than I imagined I would because I can work on the projects I choose to, when I choose to, and in most cases I can take a day off whenever I choose to!

1941coupe, upspirate, j-jock and 8 others like this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I retired three years ago because of health issues so retirement sucks for me. I've got plenty of projects to work on but its difficult to even get started for the same reason I don't work.

8. I retired in June at age 69... so far life has been good. I spend 4-6 hours a day on the '40 and the rest of the time on the house/yard; and probably too much time on the HAMB and Fordbarn. As I'm single now it works great.

9. I retired a few years back. It took me a solid four years of working on stuff to get caught up with all the things I had put off while working because I didn't have the time then. After about 4 years, I started doing my thing. I got a part time job at an auto parts store so I could get the discounts. After a while I decided I was tired of being on someone else's schedule and I retired for good and just played with my toys and fished. I love it, just wish I had my younger body back because everything now is harder and takes longer.
    As stated earlier, if you don't have a hobby to keep you interested in life, you might as well work til you die because it would be incredibly boring with all that time and nothing to do.

10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my problem. I retired at 62, and am as busy now as I was when working. I thought I would have all kinds of time to spend on the projects in waiting, but they're just not getting finished as quickly as I had hoped. Too many house projects put off until retirement, then my wife insisted we buy a 1962 Avion Camper that needs all kinds of attention, and on and on. But I still love being retired!

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

retired? feel more like a worn out retread on a pick up truck

12. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I am far from retiring, but a few years ago I went from a 5 8's work week to 3 12's. And now I end up doing even more than I already was around the house. "since you have four days off every week" Often my plans to work on my stuff get sabotaged for the project, cause we have to have a project, projects. Because of that I often say the hell with it and go ride my scooter so I dont have to do said projects.

13. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I retired 6 years ago as soon as I turned 62. I never got myself very far in debt and we never had to keep up with the Jones so every thing is paid for and with my retirement, investments, social security and wheeling and dealing a little we do fine. Life is good right now, my wife of 50 years and I are both in pretty good health and we do about all we want to do, enjoy the kids and grand kids and travel a few times a year.

I was one of the guys that thought I would have all the time in the world to work on my cars, and I do get to play with them a lot more than I did while working at a job BUT catching up on home and yard undone projects takes a bunch of my play time along with grand kids ball games, moto cross racing etc. which I enjoy it all so it isn't time wasted.

People are always asking me if I get bored with nothing to do all day, I tell them that I don't know, I haven't had one of those days yet. I always find the time to hit local swap meets plus Carlisle in the spring and Hershey in the fall. I have car buddies that come and help me with projects and I go help them when needed. I learned real quick to say no to all the jokers that want me to do all kinds of stuff because " I have all the time in the world" I guess my retirement workload is pretty much up to me and I love it.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

I retired a year ago this past Oct, when I turned 62. I was self employed, so things didn't really stop when I retired, I just cut back on the shop hours, and I didn't do the crappy jobs I used to have to do. I've had a lot of people tell me that since I retired I could do stuff for them. I politely tell them I retired so I didn't have to do stuff for other people.
    A year before I retired I posted a sign telling people it was coming. Finally, after those signs were up for 2 years, I took all the old signs down in Sept this year. I still have people tell me that they didn't realize I was retiring.
    I'm gaining ground on all those things I put off doing around the house for all those years. Its a real laid back process though.
    I seem to have collected another final project (I think this is the 3rd or 4th final project), but its going to be a slower build then I'm used to, there isn't nearly as much extra money available as there was a couple years ago.
    Someday I will get everything done on the house projects, and I will get everything cleaned up from running a welding shop at my home for the last 18 years, then I will probably find something else to occupy my time, so I don't get bored.
    I strongly recommend that everyone retire while they still have most of their health so they can enjoy time off from all those years they had to work to earn a living. Gene

15. Retired at 61 about a year ago and I enjoy it immensely. The hobby part is right and it's best to have a couple of them. The cars and the house/yard work keep me busy but it's nice to have some other interests to keep myself happy. Your never to old to learn or try something new.

I should add that I'm very lucky. I have a decent pension with health care, an understanding wife and even though I've put on a few pounds, I still get around just fine.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  16. Hey! When are you coming down to sand and paint the wagon?

17. squirrel

squirrel

I spent a few decades sneaking up on it, so no real change for me...except now I tell folks I'm retired, if they ask me to work on their car or something. The big change was when my wife retired a few years ago, she's home all the time, now. That's nice.

18. When I retired 10 years ago, my wife very kindly reduced the honey-do list to just one item
    rebuild the 1926 house, lol. Got that almost done three years ago. Thought I was finally done with house stuff that I'd been doing most all my life. Then my wife and her cousin decided we all needed to live together, so my wife bought a much bigger house. I was ok with it since I would now have a 2 1/2 car garage all to myself, but I've been remodelling/redecorating since we moved in. I'm not gonna bitch, I get to work on my '57 when needed, like earlier this year for 3 months straight when I had to replace the engine, and my wife pays ALL the bills, so my s.s. check is just my pocket money for car stuff.
    It was years before I didn't wake up in the morning with the first thought going thru my head was."wow, I don't have to go to work today." Now thinking about work doesn't even cross my mind. Life is good.
    And my wife retired last year as well, Squirrel. And like you, that has been great.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  19. aircap

aircap

I need a vacation from my retirement.

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I retired in 13 , the first few years were a real bitch because of health issues . I still have those and more health issues now . It’s never ending , Drs appointments for me and watching over my parents , someone is always stopping by looking for help , welding , machining , fabricating , car maintenance . I have made enemies from life long friends because I say NO , I’m not feeling good I’m NOT doing anything today . Then I get “ well you seem to be feeling good enough to work on your stuff ! “ That’s when I hit the roof and tell them , the driveway is still open , hit it hard and get the hell out of here . One of my “friends” rides by constant “ Hey can I ride the Harley today your not riding it ? “ I let him once his ball cap blew off and he could not get it restarted . It took me probably 75 kicks to get it cleaned out enough to hit and run . Get this here I am , 2 months out of neck fusion surgery , kickin the brute , because it’s mine and want to get it back home safe , while a Buddy is sitting in my truck on his cell phone . Never Never , lend anything to a friend that is dumb as a hammer .

21. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I retired at 57. It was either that or possibly getting laid off. The first 5 years I pretty much worked on home, car, motorcycle and bicycle projects. This last year we've been dealing with having to put my 93 year old father in a retirement home and shutting down his house. Other than dealing with the problems of getting older I've probably never been happier. I feel very fortunate.

mikec4193, osage orange and loudbang like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I retired at 71 but wish I had done it a couple of years earlier or retired from that job and went part time somewhere less stressful.
    I don't get near what I had planned on done I can say for sure but I take care of my place and my 93 year old mom's place.
    Adjusting to the reduced income has been a challenge and we probably took too many trips this year..
    The truck project isn't going near as fast as planned even though I have a garage full of new parts for it. Another project might get sold as I have somewhat lost interest in it. Engine and drive train projects intended for that might end up in a far less expensive and simpler build. No less nifty, just far simpler and far less money and time.

osage orange likes this.
  23. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Damn I'm 58 and would retire yesterday if I could but financially it makes no sense. I know exactly what I'd do with my time - the car will get finished within a year and I could start driving it all over Europe. Life would become far healthier (I keep fit by jogging and going to the gym regularly but work cuts into that). For the rest of the time there's books and music. Am an ugly git so don't have to worry about any woman nagging me or siphoning my money.

So there:)

osage orange, Old wolf and Just Gary like this.
  24. Yes everything is harder and takes longer. Yes I had to tell people no. They all had stuff for me to do in my (Spare Time)? Why is it so had for others to understand you no longer are willing to sell part of your life for dollars? With the grandkids , cutting wood, and keeping things like the deep well pump ect working there isn't that much Spare Time. I for the most part enjoy not working for others.

25. Ziggster

Ziggster

A few of the guys I worked with who have retired say they have never been busier and wonder how they got anything done around the house etc. before retirement. I have an uncle who retired almost 30 yrs ago at the age of 55 and never did anything other than driving a school bus for several years after he retired. Really sad and the last few years his health has really deteriorated. Working with the military I see lots who retire fairly early and then quickly return to work because they didn't really have a plan to keep them busy and the better half gives them the boot. I still have a ways to go, but know I'll likely be busier than ever as others have mentioned. I bumped into a coworker a few weeks back at work and thought he had retired, but nope. He is still proudly coming to work at the age of 75. I asked him why. He said the money. Crazy. He has no kids, and still would draw a decent government pension.

osage orange likes this.
  26. raymay

raymay

My older Brother and I were best friends and shared our love of cars for as long as I can remember. Ralph developed Picks Disease which is an early form of Dementia and spent the last years of his life in a nursing home. He was 62 and never got to experience retirement. In that last year as our communication with each other became more difficult, he unknowingly by his situation convinced me that when I turn 62, "send me my checks". We sold our Auto Recycling business in 2012 just shy of my 61st Birthday and a year before I had planned to retire. I was able to make it thru that year and started collecting my Social Security checks at 62. I have never looked back. Like most of you, I am constantly busy doing things I want to do and find there just does not seem to be enough hours in a day. Since retiring I have learned most of my needs are simple and will always play the Senior card when it applies. I make multiple trips to Florida and Michigan to enjoy quality time hanging with my children and Grandchildren, have a wonderful network of local friends and Family and always find things that keep me active and busy. I know I am still healthy and able to work again if I ever needed to but having to get back into a daily structured routine just does not fit with my current routine. Later today I will be enjoying a weekly lunch hanging out with car friends which includes some who I have known over the 50 years our local car club has been around. My old business partners and I also enjoy spending time working on car projects for each other or to sell. Sometimes I seem to be so busy that things I know I should be doing get delayed.
    For me retirement is something I always thought of and worked hard to achieve. If you can do it, I can highly recommend it.

27. mnjeff

mnjeff

Just got through my second summer retired, turned 64 Sunday, spent 42 years in a brewery. Finally started slowing down some, but I gotta work more on that. Retirement is the best job I ever had, and can highly recommend it. I was told by others if you have projects and travel plans, do them sooner rather than later, you may want and need more chair time in the later years. I also remind myself often that I have earned this and deserve it. We work too freaking hard in our lives, the overtime, weekends, not too mention the workload outside of paid employment, these final years are mine, and they are numbered......

28. F&J

F&J

Everything is a scam, we are brainwashed since birth to waste your best playful childhood days trapped in a schoolroom, to then work for somebody else for the entire best/healthiest decades of our life. Throw in a few manipulated IRA/pension financial crashes, and insane divorce rates these days... and then the golden years are mostly just what's runnin' down your leg.

fuck going to a job or building careers for 40-45 years as the #1 main priority....find a way to enjoy each day with a clearer perspective of what really is important.... genuine happiness/contentment....that always should have been our true life's goal.

If I can share an important memory of 10 years ago.... I went with my son to see a huge collection of antique big trucks in a huge newer building the size of a mall. The owner was 69, just back from a month recuperating in Florida that his doctor demanded, to keep him away from 3 businesses he runs from this complex.(for a failing heart issue) He proudly gave us a tour of each truck, but then just stopped talking...then blurted out "You know, I made a lot of money n my life..." paused, then said "and I thought I needed all of this stuff". The one thing right near one big door was a 10 foot John boat, that he said he puts on the roof of the new big SUV to go fish in a local pond. His new diesel pusher motorhome was behind that...he then said he was taking the RV to Idaho for an outback trout fishing trip, but then complained "That trip is going to cost me 5 grand". I fired back "yea, but think of the Fishing! " :)

All those stressed out people you see rushing somewhere on the roads... they are either rushing to a job they hate, or rushing back home to a lifestyle they can't stand.

1oldtimer, j-jock, razoo lew and 6 others like this.
  29. Busier than ever and I didn't think that was possible. I'm going back to work to catch a break.

osage orange and '51 Norm like this.
  30. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'll retire the first of the year. (sometime after January). I'll be 58. No matter what happens I'll be doing what I want to do. Not go to work any longer.