Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '35 Ford to 12V on original distributor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RobertDip, Nov 20, 2019.

1. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Keeping the stock engine and converting to 12 V. Question...original distributor hold the coil which is 6V, how do I connect. 12V through a ballast resistor..or ??? Help would be much appreciated.

2. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Ordering a 12V converted generator with fan mount to complete.

Attached Files:

3. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

The correct ballast resistor will work to protect the coil and points from too much voltage. That's what Chevy did in 55...

4. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I'm not sure what you mean by "Hold the coil" ?

There's a lot of threads on this, do a search.
    You need to change out the coil to 12v.
    You may or may not need a ballast resistor depending on the coil.
    Are your gauges 12 or 6 volts?

5. eicke

eicke

6. V8Vic

V8Vic
    from norcal

Just put an adaptor on a 35 distributor so I could use a conventional round coil. Available through various vendors. Got a coil with internal resistor and a bracket that bolted on with a water pump bolt. Adaptor came with mounting screws and condenser. Easy to change and works well

7. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Not HOLD the coil...HAS the coil...my typo. I am keep the stock distributor and coil setup. Some 6V instruments will go thru an electronic power supply that will bring the 12V down to 6V. I don't want to change the look much on the dash from the original, so 12v side gauges will be located somewhere. ( gas & temp gauges )

8. RobertDip

RobertDip
    from Candiac

Thanks guys, but the idea here is to retain the stock coil mounted on the distributor. Surely this must have been done in the past. Appreciate all input.

9. v860rich

v860rich

The way I've always done this was to get a ballast resister for a 57 or so Chevy and run my 12 volt input through that.
    It seems as though I've seen a 12 volt replacement coil for those Dizzy's, maybe Bob Drake?

THANX RICH

10. I used the stock diving helmet distributor on my '40 with the stock coil when I converted it to 12 volts. I used a ballast resistor to reduce the voltage down to 6 volts and the stock resistor/circuit breaker system reduced it further to about 4.5 volts as per original. The coil burned out. I replaced it with another one I had. It burned out. I bought the adapter that permits you to run a regular 12 volt coil and everything worked just fine. I am still not sure why the stock coil does not work but it doesn't.