Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Four Banger Blower Identification (What Is It?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scotch Buzzard King, Nov 19, 2019.

1. I found a couple of pictures of this blower on a Ford four banger, and I have no idea what it is. Does anybody know what it is?

Banger Blower.jpg
    Banger Blower 2.jpg

2. Nobody? At first glance, I thought it was a converted coffee grinder. Its about the same size...

Deuces likes this.
  3. rudestude

rudestude

Here's some shots of different types. From a supercharging book I have.
    1574238509911~2.jpeg 1574238690559~2.jpeg 1574238829569~2.jpeg 1574238899877~2.jpeg 1574238960491~2.jpeg 1574239086093~2.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces, loudbang and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. rudestude

rudestude

Deuces likes this.

5. ERguitar

ERguitar

Sure looks similar doesn't it.
    I wonder if some one is making a kit with the drive extension and support bracket.
    O.p. is there any indication where the pictures were taken or who the owner(s) is (are)?
    Might help narrow it down for you.
    Looks like a cool application, I would be curious to know what it adds for hp.

6. pic I have saved, not mine. I have info somewhere, it might be a converted aircraft cabin blower, if I remember correctly. IMG_2495.JPG

Deuces, exterminator and loudbang like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

8. I'm wondering about that kit myself. From all of the help of you guys, the supercharger is a AMR500. I was looking for a kit for this conversion online. I came up empty. Every kit from these three pictures looks homemade with the exception of the two pictures that I posted. Those drive extensions look identical with the exception of one being polished, and one retaining a cast finish. This suggests to me that either the same guy made these extensions, or the same foundry made these two pieces. I guess there is no real way to be for sure.

9. In the top two photos, the cast one seems to have a name cast in the extension piece. I can't make it out but it suggest that it is a factory piece. Also I believe this was talked about in one of the banger meets a while back. Might want to try there for more info.

10. RussTee

RussTee

Down here in the Sth Seas they often use Holden super chaeges

11. RussTee

RussTee

12. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

The first picture I think is at Pendine Sands. Its a 30/31 modified. The owner is Gary Bust. He ran in V4BF/M class. asasasassasasasadddddddddd.PNG
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Deuces and Outback like this.
  13. That AMR500 blower was on a (OT) VW engine at Bonneville this year. I talked to the owner, and if my memory is right, it is used in Japanese home market vehicles. It also has a 350 size which is smaller than the 500. I had never seen the small blower before, I guess there is someone making a mount kit for the VW engines. Guy said it was good for about 4 psi on his baja bug.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Outback likes this.
  14. GuyW

GuyW

And since a std VW is about 100 ci, on a 200 ci engine we're looking at 2 psi !

Outback likes this.
  15. 36taildragger

36taildragger
    from Folsom Ca

probably way late but

probably way late but loveless has a kit for 2495 and it’s super nice quality.
    https://frenzelsuperchargers.com/products/p/ford-model-a-b-banger-supercharger
    hope this helps

16. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

The GMH ones that are popular in modern rods are from 1996 to 2004 Commodores (Series 3 or Series 5 Eaton M90s roots-type blowers). The HAMB-friendly Holden blowers are Wrays, Normans and occasionally Wade.

Cheers,
    Harv

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, it is an AMR500. It is modern. The ones on ebay are used and cleaned up.
    Aaron Loveless makes the kit and he is a pleasure to deal with. He can guide you on a blower purchase for the kit.
    I installed one on my '31 Cabriolet for awhile and may go back to it in the future. It flattens out the hills. I had to go with a smaller drive pulley to get about 4 lbs boost but I'm running around at 5000' to 7000' elevation so it winds up being an altitude compensator.
    It takes some figuring to make the throttle work and I wound up using a cable and bell crank.
    It is a conversation starter for sure.
    I tried to upload a photo but I keep getting an error message...
    Now you know

Tman likes this.