Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Are you missing any tools?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 25, 2019.

1. topher5150

topher5150

I would have shit bricks

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just a point of interest.

I remember in high school auto shop, we had big pegboards with hooks for every single hand tool. The shape of each tool was painted on the board where it hung. You could tell at a glance if any of the tools was missing.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Rick, I remember a friend of mine's dad did that with all his tools on peg board, that included yard tools also, shovels,rakes & hoes, he just screwed in a eye hook and then go around the tool with a magic marker.

His son talked me into helping him put insulation in the ceiling and painting every thing white, I as about the wall of tools and he said yes, so we did. huge mistake when his dad got home he was livid, we had the job of hanging all the tools and outlining them.

Remember, no good deed goes unpunished! HRP

4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

IMG_1104.JPG

"Honey, the gravy boat thingy has been lit up for a while now, what does that mean?!"

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I WAS missing my homemade all steel handled welding hammer.... no worries, I found it the last time I cut the grass...

the boy was using it to break rocks...

WB69, bobss396, chryslerfan55 and 4 others like this.
  6. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Danny, from the title I thought you found some of mine. Like socks, the damn things slip into another dimension.

-Don

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Reading about the mics being used as c clamps, brought back an old memory. At about twelve years of age my Dad taught me how to use his Starret micrometers. He show the “ feel” of using them. I can still hear him saying “now, boy, those things aren’t C-clamps”.
    Thanks!

Bones

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You painted the tool board, Danny? Oh no!
    LOL
    Gravy boat thingy... hilarious.

Hey... instead of typing "hilarious", my phone typed
    "who Larry is"
    I bet he'd have a few good ones.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Funny you would bring up our late friend Larry, he posted regurarly about loosing his glasses.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. She just needs more power!:rolleyes:
    upload_2019-9-26_19-15-17.jpeg

11. Mimilan

Mimilan

My ol'man thinks that all the Scribers and Pens in our place are the larvae for coat-hangers

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I never miss tools till I can't find them when I need them!! I have made several tool "Sets" for the wife and they disintegrate to tool heaven somewhere..Place for everything but it doesn't necessarily get back to it with her...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. williebill

williebill

Used to get most of my car stuff done late at night, after everyone else was asleep. Sometimes I would spend tons of time looking for the one tool that I needed where nothing else would do. Next day I'd find out it disappeared upstairs when the now ex "needed" it. Problem solved when I put a lock on the connecting door between the house and garage. None of the women who've inhabited this house since my divorce can get into the garage. Since they won't help me in the garage ( and all have seemed to be jealous of garage time ), problem solved.
    Quick story about one of them. Dated very seriously for almost 3 years. While it was all new, and she wore me out every day, garage time suffered. For months.
    One day, she told me about a business meeting that would keep her busy until 10 or so. I said, fine, think I'll work in the garage for a while. Her answer was " Good idea ! You should work on your projects !"...
    Made it to her house about midnight. Slight pissy attitude. Next evening, attitude continued. Told her I needed to finish a little thing I'd started. She said fine, through pursed lips.
    Next night, she called as I was finishing work.. " You gonna work on that damn car again tonight?"
    I hadn't planned on it, but suddenly decided that yeah, I was.
    Felt good, could feel my blood pressure going down as I turned on the garage lights that night....
    My project car is a demanding bitch, but not as bad as that one was.

Truckdoctor Andy and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. banjorear

banjorear

Yep. My two boys have gotten into the habit of using tools and not putting them back.

When I use to do this to my father and he'd ask and I'd reply, 'I dunno know what happened to [insert tool]."

He said, "Well, I guess Jesus came down and took it then."

Praise the Lord!

Atwater Mike, raven and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Terrible80

Terrible80

Had a friend whose renter moved and left some stuff behind. He says, "You want some c clamps?" Set or 2,3, 4, & 5 inch micrometers. Go in the house one day and my wife's driving nails with my softface hammer. Said she thought it was made not to mar her walls.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock, 41 GMC K-18 and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. X-cpe

X-cpe

Second sentence when introducing micrometers to a class.

When my son was a young teen, I solved the tool problem by buying him a Craftsman 300 piece set for Christmas. When he left home I gave him my duplicate carpenter tools and a few new new ones.

41 GMC K-18 and Boneyard51 like this.
  18. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

( Happy ending )
    About 4 years ago, some very good friends of mine, a husband and wife that both had airplanes and the both of them had hangars side by side and they both worked out of the same roll away and top box. After many years of marriage, they decided to get divorced, the day she filed, he rolled the roll away and top box into his hangar and changed the locks, he did it while she was at work. He took all of the tools and left her no tools at all! They both had contributed to the shared collection of tools over the years.

It really pissed me off that he did that to her, he was well off and she wasn't, she just wanted out of the marriage! So in regards to the tools, I came up with a good idea to remedy that, with out him knowing it.

She moved from Sonoma California to Texas because she was going to get remarried. I went down to the Sears outlet and bought her a brand new 12 drawer top box and an assortment of the basic tools she would need to work on her Aeronca champ airplane. I had told her fiance to get her a brand new 5 drawer roll away for her wedding present, which he did, he surprised her at the wedding reception with it, to sweeten the deal, for her wedding present, I bought her a brand new Yost bench vice and a steel work table with peg board and drawers and light and a new wooden work bench both from harbor freight, the prices were not bad back then. When she got the tools, she was blown away, she said, do you mind if I paint them pink, I said, they are yours, do what ever you want to, I said why pink?, she said, no one ( man ) will ever want to borrow these pink tools. She isn't a wealthy person, she is a very sharp 3rd grade school teacher that isn't afraid to get her hands dirty, and she is a very good pilot as well.

I got a lot of pleasure out of doing that !
    There is poetic justice in this world !
    Here are a few shots of the pink tools and and the tables and bench vice in the new hangar in Texas.

"Its never the wrong time to do the right thing"
    IMG_1929 (2).JPG IMG_1930 (2).JPG IMG_1217 (2).JPG IMG_1057 (2).JPG

Atwater Mike, Petejoe and raven like this.
  19. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm at the point where I don't even ask my wife about any missing tools. No sense looking for something you'll never find. I just buy replacements.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    X-cpe, 41 GMC K-18 and Truck64 like this.
  20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

What's the first sentence?

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  21. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm sure that a lot of us are in this position. There is one size wrench that you need lots of. Why don't the tool companies offer a set of maybe 4 or more of the same wrench? Sort of like those double ended 1/8" drill bits where you just get the one size.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. X-cpe

X-cpe

This is a micrometer.

Atwater Mike and Truck64 like this.
  23. spanners

spanners

My Dad used to come to my place to work on cars he was doing for friends while I was at work. Later in the evening when he'd gone home my mother would ring up and ask if I was missing some tools. My dad had a habit of putting them in his pocket and mum would find them when emptying his pockets to put his work clothes in the washing machine.

24. Yes, they are in the car trunk I lost the key for, at least they're not getting wet.

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A funny thing happened on the way to a thorough clean out of our garage, before the massive new cabinet project went in place. Our old, complete set of Craftsman, guaranteed for life, tool set has hit the road to end up in tool heaven. Since I had no longer used those 1959-65 (new tools) from back then for months and years, it was their time to move on to someone who would use them in their garage. They now reside with our niece’s family, since the husband is an avid hot rodder/drag racer.

Do we have tools to replace the sockets, breaker bar, wrenches, screwdrivers and a cool spark plug tube-wrench combo? Just about everything one could think of in the Craftsman line for our hot rod/drag race build has hit the road. Nothing is left except for a duplicate, tiny, 3 inch long Craftsman screw driver. There were two of them, so I still use that small one for small jobs. I am sure he/she is lonely because the rest of the Craftsman family is now…“in a better place.”

My son had this whole set, but he is not an old soul, hot rodder. So, he decided to buy a complete small multiple socket set from the local hardware store that came in an all-in-one handy case. That solves 90% of his household repairs and if it calls for more, the repair guy gets called. That is another reason our Craftsman tools hit the road…if I open the hood of our daily drivers what am I going to repair with the massive computerized program running the whole powerful motor system? Or better yet, do I want to do a questionable job?

Jnaki

So, off to the younger expert mechanics for any repair, if necessary. We are not getting any younger and despite the yearning for a hot rod to drive and maintain, for us, that is what is the new way to keep the cars running. We are lucky, no car repairs for the last 5 years.

I am missing those classic, old, stand by, Craftsman tools, as they are now M.I.A. in our garage. As for the ones in the drawers that go missing here and there, that is another story due to old age and forgetfulness.

I was missing those Craftsman Tools so much that I needed a super small screwdriver for adjusting a tiny sprinkler head spray flow and distance. My local store had their supplies, but the last one I bought broke the tip. So, I got some Craftsman teeny blade flat head screwdrivers for this specialty job. They are also, guaranteed for life.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    charleyw and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. wide34

wide34
    from Texas

IMG_3385.JPG

My sons gave this to me for a Christmas present- guess I was a “little” hard on them!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. The solution to this problem is to have dedicated shop tools and house tools.

I go to Harbor Freight and buy one of those tool kits that comes in the plastic case and has a little bit of everything in it. I just put that and a few other tools in the cabinet in the garage. Makes it easy to keep up with the tools too since you carry the whole case with you and you can tell if you’re missing something because everything has a specific space.

My “good” tools just stay at the shop and don’t come home. Problem solved.

28. My HS shop... nobody left until all tools were back on their boards. They were in boxes on the wall that got locked when class was out.

chryslerfan55, Boneyard51 and jnaki like this.
  29. One guy that worked with my dad at Grumman called them c-clamps with numbers. Needless to say nobody would lend him a micrometer.

30. About a year ago the battery in my OT Chevy Malibu took a dump. In replacing it, I dropped a nice Snap On 10mm socket into the engine bay... looked all over, jacked the car up, bounced it, no luck. Weeks later at work, I start the car, hear a clatter for a second, dismissed it and went home. The next day, come to work and park in the same spot, walking out after work, I see the socket laying behind the LF wheel... hot damn... it was a little rusty from exposure.