Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help,I think I'm crazy !!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by davet, Oct 18, 2019.

1. davet

davet
    from Dover,DE

I hope this turns into a build thread start to finish, but here we go ! I have always been crazy for sectioned shoe box Fords , wanted to try one myself. Have been on the search for the right candidate and that would been a business coupe,when along came this sedan . The guy I bought it from bought it out west 17 years ago and and he thinks the section is 4" and the same for the top chop ? He ground out some of the body filler and it scared the hell out him ,so it sat in a dirt floor building until this idiot (yours truly) came along and bought it. Wish me luck and stay tuned.. Dave

Attached Files:

2. williebill

williebill

You're not crazy, but I bet you'll have more than 3 posts over the next 10 years. Get to work, keep us posted.

1959Nomad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Get going, we will be watching. That could turn out to look very cool when finished with shiny paint.

1959Nomad likes this.
  4. badvolvo

badvolvo

Well, you are on the HAMB, discussing spending years building a shoebox ford, so to some you are crazy! Have fun and stay crazy my friend!

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Squablow

Squablow

That thing looks like it already had a shitload of work done to it, and other than those 70's rear fender flares, it looks pretty good to me. Once it's stripped and clean/bare again, any issues can be reworked, I think it'll be a great start.

The chop and section look mild for 4" each, I would guess 2 1/2 or 3 each but I could be wrong.

6. There's no cure for your type of insanity........ plus, it may be contagious. :rolleyes:

Those skinny whitewalls have inoculated me against this particular project for the time being until they're gone.

EDIT: WTF! The whitewalls are only skinny on one side. I might catch something and have to be in bed with a nurse. :p

7. Sounds like a great project but I hope you post a little more often than you have in the past, your last posing was 10 years ago. HRP

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yes, you are crazy - but, with a lot of hard work it can be done right - priority now is get it down to bare metal and see what you really have - take lots of pics along the way to share here

9. Cool project. You'll do just fine. :)

10. Wow, a build thread! You don't see many of those anymore it seems.
    I like it. But I think you need to move the rear of the top closer to the front, more like a coupe so that the proportions look better.

'Mo likes this.
  11. davet

davet
    from Dover,DE

Thanx for all the words of encouragement,my buddy looked at yesterday, said wow man how long do you plan to live !! I'll try and get my post count up, been little slack the last ten years, this car should do it.

Gotgas and 'Mo like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

'51 with hood 003 (Small).jpg '51 with hood 001 (Small).jpg

Elcohaulic likes this.
  13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Is it done yet? You have had like, all day man..... LOL!

Long term projects are tough. I suggest you break it down into many smaller defined projects where there is a visual end of one project and the beginning of the next with a visual end. You will need the visual ends to be able to keep going, a place to celebrate the victory, and then the new beginning keeps you motivated. Gene

1959Nomad and Stogy like this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Lol. We are all a little crazy :) Spending time and money as well as coming here for others opinions:)

15. davet

davet
    from Dover,DE

Got to pull some measurements on a stock coupe this weekend,looks like the section is 4" and the chop is 3" ,also scored 2 loaded doors,2 deck lids,and a roof . Think the cowl is back on the right side, door is dropped and does not fit the opening. Good place to start !! Dave

16. davet

davet
    from Dover,DE

I wish I had more to share,but all I have to is the right door now fits the opening , opens ,closes and latches thanks to bear claws. Now it's on to the right fender,get it to fit the the cowl and the inner fenders. When I have that I can finish the section on the fender. This is wild trying to figure out what the builder did and what he was thinking , and my wife said I should buy a puzzle, well think I did !! Dave

17. Torchie

Torchie

Interesting. It looks like they started to graft in a 49 Plymouth bumper at the rear on the drivers side..
    To help you keep the fires burning I would suggest having someone do a photoshop for you of the finished vision you have in mind. Tack it up on the shop wall for inspiration. I'm sure that some one on here would do it.
    The first pic is what the my car looked like ga8v5xmtkwo55nl4gaujw6tru2jnerpk.jpg e325dafcwyfgsha37huruaupa48uidgm.jpg after the chop and sectioning and right before I blew it all apart. Rik Hoving added some trim and the white walls and cleaned up all the body cuts. The second one is one that a fellow from Germany recently did using my dimensions. 3" chop and 3" section. Adding paint and placing it in front of a vintage shot of the Griffiths park observatory.. Mine was not sectioned or chopped when I got it. LOL
    Good luck. Stay strong.
    Torchie

18. Yes you're crazy.... Join us won't you

VANDENPLAS and 1959Nomad like this.
  19. I did a 49 Ford as a kid, cut 4 inches out of the body, dropped the upper portion down over the bottom left the trim holes in the upper section, drilled and bolted it back together about every 6 inches, then reinstalled the trim which covered the bolted together up and it was sectioned. It doesn't have to be a big project, well I never did the front fenders and clip, too hard for a 15 year old to figure out.

loudbang likes this.
  20. v8flat44

v8flat44

Yup, you're sick......stay cool

loudbang likes this.
  21. davet

davet
    from Dover,DE

Thanks for all the good words,progress is very slow,had to shorten right door cowl is a tad back. Got the bottom of the right fender roughed in and the fender moved back to the cowl .baby steps !! Dave DSCI0053.JPG DSCI0052.JPG DSCI0051.JPG DSCI0053.JPG DSCI0052.JPG

22. Looks like you know what your doing , keep up the good work and keep us posted .

VANDENPLAS, 1959Nomad and loudbang like this.
  23. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

No your not crazy, thanks for rescuing it fron 17 years of sitting.
    Count me in on following the build, like to see cars like this get a chance to be back on the road.

loudbang likes this.
  24. davet

davet
    from Dover,DE

If I knew what I was doing I probably wouldn't have bought it !! Dave