Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Assembling Brookville Roadster/ 40s style Build Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Nick Agius, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

The box in my car must have come out of a RHD car, so the shifter was facing right into the passengers lap, John once again whipped out a new shifter, a much nicer swan neck 39 shifter. Painted & installed it looks pretty nice, You can also see the finished pedal in this photo to. IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg Throttle painted & installed for hopefully the last time, You can also see the air cleaners installed in this photo. Not sure how i feel about them just yet, IMG_3135.jpg IMG_3139.jpg
    I then proceeded to make the 2 hr trip home after 3 days and ran out of fuel about 45 minutes from home, Luckily in Australia if you break down on a highway they consider it a high risk scenario and will send a tow truck out with some fuel to get you off the highway and going again. Atleast thats what they do in metro areas in Qld anyway.
    IMG_3141.jpg
    I hope to have the car finished in the next month for My lady & I's christmas holidays which we plan on taking the roadster.

cactus1, Stogy, brEad and 4 others like this.
  2. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Another Monday spent on the roadster, Distributor is on and statically timed, Plug leads for now will have to do, I did order some original style leads off eBay but turned out they were for an 8BA. IMG_3206.jpg John placing the Cowl mount antenna up for size, Looks great slanted back.. Kinda difficult to mount any other way i think? Searching through old photos led me to the conclusion that i had to have one of these... IMG_3208.jpg
    Still uncertain as to whether it'll be straight up or slanted back IMG_3209.jpg One of the last major hurdles were the rear shock mounts, the 33 diff has the bells slanted slightly forward, so using any sort of conventional shock mount was difficult. We started by making this template IMG_3212.jpg Then i forgot to take any photos and we ended up here quiet a few hours later, Nothings easy on this car. IMG_3219.jpg Bit of black enamel and its good to go on the car, IMG_3220.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg They look pretty good on there, IMG_3223.jpg Stu, A friend of Johns was kinda enough to come take charge in sorting my exhaust.From what he tells me, Stu built some pretty race car exhausts back in the day. He kept it pretty simple in regards to the exhaust for my roadster, but has done such a great job so far, You can see in the photo below he followed the X member to keep the exhaust as hidden away as possible. IMG_3224.jpg Stu was happy to do the exhaust, But it had to have mufflers! haha IMG_3227.jpg A view from the front, Looking back. You can see where they tuck in and over the torque tube from here IMG_3230.jpg Another angle, this time looking from the rear. IMG_3241.jpg By the time we got back to the mufflers it was about 7pm and we'd ran out of steel. So i bolted the shocks on and made the 2 hr trek home. IMG_3244.jpg John sent me the following photos the next day, Watch how nicely those mufflers sit away once it gets some weight back on it. IMG_3245.JPG All that chrome looks damn good, IMO
    IMG_3252.JPG My lovely wife to be got these personalised plates for my birthday this year, Nice to see them in there finally. Ill head back up there again this monday & hopefully get a few more things done.

Attached Files:

alfin32, 51box, hfh and 8 others like this.
  3. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Sound deadening done
    IMG_3292.jpg IMG_3293.jpg IMG_3297.jpg IMG_3298.jpg IMG_3300.jpg
    Originally wasnt going to have any external boot latch, Ended up changing my mind so we drilled all the holes for that, Came out pretty neat.
    IMG_3301.jpg IMG_3302.jpg
    Cowl Mount antenna installed. IMG_3322.jpg Fuel Lines all ran IMG_3324.jpg Started working on a hing setup for the front seat to fold forward IMG_3327.jpg IMG_3328.jpg
    Coil and solenoid mounted up
    IMG_3330.jpg
    Exhaust all finished up for final welding, Stu did a great job i am stoked. IMG_3333.jpg

Attached Files:

51box, Stogy, lurker mick and 6 others like this.
  4. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Great Job on all the latest additions,really coming together for one fine Hot Rod!!!

loudbang and Nick Agius like this.
  5. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I love the headlight stands and how you did the shocks with it. Couple of parts that kinda go in the same spot . Nicely thought out. Beats my idea of F1 mounts mounted backwards and a tab on the wishbones for the shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, loudbang and Nick Agius like this.
  6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great job on the build!

Stogy, loudbang and Nick Agius like this.
  7. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thank you! The end is near...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DenK, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Appreciate it, they are actually set quite far back in comparison to most cars, that was my friend Titties idea. It really works and is simple

9. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Yesterday was a huge day, Some may even say monumental....

thumbnail_IMG_3393.jpg Car Rolled out for a look in the light, thumbnail_IMG_3397.jpg John always happy to be in the photo, You can see the boot handle installed in this photo... thumbnail_IMG_3400.jpg Mechanical fuel pump installed, Fuel lines plumbed. thumbnail_IMG_3403.jpg Wiring finished, JUst waiting on some felt wiring tape to tidy it all up.
    thumbnail_IMG_3409.jpg String line wheel alignment thumbnail_IMG_3410.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3412.jpg

brEad, rpm56, GordonC and 8 others like this.
  10. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

brEad, GordonC, 51box and 7 others like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good job Nick I'm enjoying your fun...:D

Milestones are Smilestones...;)

brEad and loudbang like this.
  12. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thanks! they most certainly are!!

loudbang, DenverFlash and Stogy like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Heck yeah man!

Nick Agius and loudbang like this.
  14. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

15. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thanks everyone, Heading back up tomorrow afternoon to finish a few more things & hopefully drive it before i head home monday evening.

brEad, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  16. 51box

51box
    from MA

Great job you and your friends have done on this roadster. There’s nothing easy about building a car from scratch

loudbang likes this.
  17. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thank you! & your 100% right, I could not do this without all the people that have helped me & one supportive lady at home. Ill be forever grateful.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

19. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Congratulations, it's a great feeling enjoying the fruits of your labor. Have fun!!!!

Stogy, Nick Agius and loudbang like this.
  20. joshuajardine

joshuajardine
    from NSW OZ

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What they said...;)

22. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

23. scotti32

scotti32

Cool, great work

24. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

thumbnail_59693950912__C64EE06E-3E67-4A0C-B0C8-096C02A5DFCC.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3583.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3604.png Thanks for the kind words!

Yesterday saw me head back up to Johns to work on the car for what looks to be the second last time before Mine and my partners Christmas Holiday in the roadster, And we got a bit a done...

Rear license plate is all mounted, Brackets had to be made, Some rubber channel was installed and perspex was cut out. Really happy with how this turned out. My friend titties originally made the buck for this for his 48 Ford custom.

I had a windshield made out of stainless to try save time and it probably turned into a bit more of a pain then it should have been. We got the glass glued & installed then realised my windshield stanchions were out by 5mm. So cut the painted windscreen post again and sorted all that out.

First drive in the car was pretty under powered, And i really wasn't feeling confident about the 170km trip home and then another 150km south for our holiday in it. So we set back about getting it running better. Realising we still had the original 6v Condenser on the car we headed to the parts store and purchased a new 12v one and went back and reinstalled in on the car, a huge difference instantly. We then took the car for its first proper drive around town where it ran good, and felt to run cooler.

I also got a new throttle return spring setup.

Next weekend will see me finish work early saturday and be dropped at Johns with my roadster toolbox and get the car finished and driven home for the first time.

Im extremely excited, I still have alot to do over the weekend before i go,

I didnt take many photos But, here is the few i took...

25. loudbang

loudbang

You have a friend named TITTIES :eek: Maybe it means something else down under LOL.

brady1929, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  26. figure8

figure8

Hope you slanted the antenna. Is that a repro? If so did you get it in the states?

loudbang likes this.
  27. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

loudbang likes this.
  28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hell yeah! Man that thing is just right on man

loudbang likes this.
  29. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thanks Johnny!
    Carbs have been rebuilt but I think you might be right and I’m going to go through them again. Jets came out of some oldies JP had lying around.

See you soon

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  30. Nick Agius

Nick Agius

Thanks John, That combo sounds good. Ill try get some jets sorted before i head back to JP's this saturday.

Cheers!