Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mart's Crusty Flatty. Teardown begins: Valve removal!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Mart

Mart

Well the intro video and discussion on the thread generated lots of interest. Lets see if the momentum continues in part 2 of the series.

In this scintillating episode I remove the remaining valves. I try to use a relatively non destructive technique. did the job go well?

Check it out:

I think I've improved the audio and the visuals, I still have to tackle camera angles but I think I'm getting there slowly.

Don't forget this is just me dicking around in the garage. This is only one way of doing it. I'm just finding my feet, I'm not an expert.

Future episodes will feature crank removal, piston removal and cam and lifters removal.

What becomes of the motor is yet to be seen.

Thanks for the interest.

Mart.

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Fun video. Thanks for sharing with us.

3. Great video Mart. You had much better luck than I with valve & guide removal. I even had the 'special tools' you refer to but could not get a single retainer clip out. Eventually I was forced to resort to a plasma torch & cut the springs and valve stems! Getting the head studs out will likely be your next biggest challenge. Patience is key, along with plenty of penetrant and (occasionally) heat. It took me a few weeks before I managed to get the last one out but not a single one was damaged in the process. Good luck with the coming tasks. Will look forward to the next video!

4. Mart

Mart

Thanks fellas. Yeah, Glen, the studs are still on the list to be done. I think I'll go out now and start dosing them.

5. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Mart, I've really enjoyed all your videos. I imagine they are a lot of work but keep them coming!

6. Mart... Here's the tool that eventually got those head studs out unscathed.

Glen

Attached Files:

7. dudley32

dudley32

thanks again for the video...I'm tearing my down 59AB now also so this comes in real handy...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  8. Mart

Mart

Thanks fellas. Dud, don't try and get the pistons out till I put out my video. (Unless they're not seized).
    Glen, I have one of those roller tools I have just pulled about four studs. Only another 30 or so to go. (Some were already missing).
    Br, thanks, it is a lot of work. but enjoyable work (sorta) the feedback I get makes it worthwhile. Hoping the videos might help someone out there also is part of the big picture.

Mart.

9. Mart

Mart

Pulled the studs today.

Upcoming videos in the works:
    Crank removal from a seized motor.
    Piston removal. (Seized).
    Lifter and cam removal.
    Stud removal.

Mart.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

If you have a BFH and a flame tip wrench disassembly is a breeze!

11. Mart

Mart

The next video is edited up and will be out tomorrow.