Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb Beautification? Anyone on the HAMB Do It This Way?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Nov 19, 2019.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Here's a u-tube video of a guy that does it the best I have seen. If I was younger I would investigate what it takes to make it happen but it's to late in the game. Anyone on he HAMB do it this way? Not interested in sprays or Eastwood dips or any other method unless it gets the same results as the guy on the u-tube video. Thanks!

2. That is very slick.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched that a while back. I think he said he has maybe $1,000 in the whole setup.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. I"m curious about fumes?

I see he had a Corvette in the same proximity and the sulfuric acid had not bubbled the paint.

Still I would want to know about fumes and the voltage he is using - DC I assume.

Oldmics

5. earlymopar

earlymopar

The thread title is for "anodizing" of which the process shown is not.

- EM

wvenfield likes this.
  6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I used the term Anodizing in general, to get your attention AND because I didn't know what else to call it! At least I got your attention!

Kelly Burns likes this.
  7. wvenfield

wvenfield

It looks great but yeah, what do you do with chemicals after done using them? You really can't just pore them in the back yard or down the sink any longer.

I'm not going to claim the spray on stuff is as good as it's not but it's far less complicated, expensive and the government isn't going to knock on your door.

IMG_20190823_113209.jpg

brigrat likes this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The author of the video explains that.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. alumslot

alumslot

The same guy did my Corvette tri-power. He does more than just coat them. Makes sure everything is flat and working right and rebuilt.

Before -733389949_IMG_20190501_095849_2065600.jpg

After
    20191006_094719.jpg

10. earlymopar

earlymopar

After years of experience with both processes, I didn't need to watch the video.

- EM

11. carbking

carbking

The steel pieces look great!

A different process was done on the bodies, and the coloration is different.

Like he said it isn't cheap; and I will add there is a learning curve.

I would suggest checking with your local authorities about disposal of the chemicals and the waste water. The chromium is the same chemical as used to plate bumpers. Those older members may remember when 95 percent of the plating companies went out of business about 40 years ago. There are reasons.

We did our own for awhile, until I found out the medical issues. Sold our entire setup, and paid to have the coloration and plating done. Not sorry.

Jon.

kidcampbell71, j-jock and brigrat like this.
  12. I do this to carburetors almost everyday, however, it is a dye process, not an anodizing process.
    An acid solution excites the zinc in the carb casting that allows it to be dyed by a yellow chromate solution. It will have a similar effect on steel. It has been in use for almost 100 years. Fumes........yes
    It will dye your skin yellow.....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Interesting, but whatever that background noise was made it difficult to hear his explanation. Yikes!!

14. 40 years ago, when working on aircraft, it was common to use zinc chromate as an undercoating and protectant. Back then, it was common to apply this undercoat without much consideration regarding personal safety.
    There was a considerable amount of information circulated relating to its use, stating that it can be harmful when used without proper respiratory equipment, and that zinc chromate is also carcinogenic.
    I would be very careful to use proper respiratory protection when using chemicals that have the capability of causing serious health issues. Cadmium can also be highly toxic if not handled with proper care.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_chromate
    Bob

15. mtndone

mtndone

16. pitman

pitman

Hexavalent chrome has infintesimal exposure limits, Wiki offered a Trivalent that sounded more exposure friendly.

17. Bobbyhotrods

Bobbyhotrods

Very bad stuff, banned in Europe. It gets in the ground water and can't be removed. The trivalent is relatively safe but you won't like the results.
    You can buy the stuff and have it delivered to your door, and that's not right.
    In an industrial, regulated environment you couldn't afford the recovery process.

18. Tried to watch the video.....Somebody should tell that guy... Its Not Cad-i-um its Cad-mi-um...!!

Blues4U likes this.
  19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for that insightful comment ^^^^^^^^^ It adds a lot :rolleyes:

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm no chemist, and the fellow says some of the components are expensive, but I'd invest in a pair of industrial rubber gloves!

56don and Blues4U like this.
  21. gold irridation.

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Eye rolling over literacy? Sheesh.

Mark Yac likes this.
  23. It's a conversion coating, using hexavalent chromium solution. Hex chrome is carcinogenic. Trivalent chromium is what most coatings are now. It's not cadmium, or zinc, or whatever else - those are the base metals and the gold color is the conversion coating. It does add corrosion resistance, hex is better than tri.
    Same process was used on the magnesium wheels that have the gold color.
    The conversion coating is a chemical process. Anodizing is completely different.

Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trivalent chrome is safer and more environmentally friendly. But Trivalent chrome does not have the same blue luster that Hexavalent chrome has. Have your bumper plated with Trivalent and you will be disappointed.