Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ford v. Ferrari... More Than a Movie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Ford v. Ferrari... More Than a Movie.

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. the flatlander

the flatlander

I personally think Shelby is rolling over & over.

3. 41woodie

41woodie

Saw it last night in 4D which was a mistake. The water spraying, wind blowing, seat rocking (hard) was mainly a distraction from the movie. The movie itself was quite good and we enjoyed it

4. I saw it as well and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of it, and appreciated seeing Phil Remington included in the story of the GT40. I think a movie on Mickey Thompson needs to be told. Many aspects of his life and as it relates to racing could be told, but I'd love to see a focus on the construction of and racing of Challenger I in 1959 and 1960. Another good one would be the quest for speed between Craig Breedlove, Art Arfrons, and Wally Arfrons in the 1960s as they were each destroying the land speed record with their jet cars. I'd like to see Hollywood produce movies with some substance and historical relevance once again. The last movie we were excited about like this one and was the last movie we saw in the theater (2016) was, "On Any Sunday, The Next Chapter" - Dana Brown's documentary on motorcycle racing, inspired by his dad, Bruce Brown's original movie from 1971.
    mickey-thompson-on-challenger.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I would vote for Ed Roth, and get the real story (ies) before the story tellers have died. I was lucky enough to known Von Frnco, who brought (forced) Ed out of sign painting retirement. And I got to know two of his kids, Reno and Dennis. Ed was a 'normal' person but with an amazing artist /business mind.
    There will stories of sleeping on bikes under blankets to save on hotel money, guns, Hell's Angles, car shows, plastic full sized cars and models for kids. Monster shirts. A art community that rivaled Mr Campbell Soup Cans.
    Or
    'Ryan- Are you ready for your closeup??????????'

mctim64, GuyW, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  6. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

7. Barris and Roth are legends for sure but they won’t have the appeal of Ford vs Ferrari. Get some great actors and they might win a few awards but they won’t set any box office records. You need good drama and realistic action along with good acting to bring in the money. My three choices are Mickey Thompson, Petty/Pearson rivalry and The Ramchargers.

8. flamingokid

flamingokid

Maybe this will spur moviemakers to do more movies on the hobby, as it is rich in history and more good stories than could ever be filmed.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The Surfers drag team would make a good movie, I think.

Ford vs Ferrari is doing well because it's a great true story and the delivery is authentic and straightforward. Audiences are burned out on comic / fantasy franchises and unfunny woke comedies. And dare I say it, people might even appreciate seeing movies with a little virtuous competition and heroism (aka toxic masculinity) again.

1940Willys, 50fish, Dan Hay and 22 others like this.
  10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Ive noticed a lot lately that Netflix , Amazon and others producing movies not intended for theactrical release but straight to subscription TV. This is the wave of the future for smaller productions of car movies, anybody see "Trading Paint"? a dirt track stock car movie staring John Travolta and Shannia Twain, fun to watch but would never make it to the big screen

11. Squablow

Squablow

Rachel and I saw the Ford v Ferrari movie and loved it as well. While I personally would love to see documentaries on Barris and Roth, I doubt they'd have the mass appeal because their stories don't culminate into a big ending. Mickey Thompson's does, and as tragic as it is, it's one that really should be told.

I really do hope this is the beginning of a trend. I know there are a lot of fans out there of Star Wars, superheroes and stuff rebooted from the 80's but it's not for me, this was great.

brad2v, Hnstray, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  12. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smokey Yunick.

13. Yeah. I agree. Mickey Thompson led a life (& death), that Hollywood could never imagine

14. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Very well said!

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  15. sololobo

sololobo

I am excited about an automotive themed movie having so much public interest. I have always felt all fields are commonly related, if it has a motor and is raced or displayed for public exposure, it is all a big family. I have not seen this movie yet but is on my bucket list, so many of my heros have been mentioned here for movie subjects, and I agree with them all. It is wonderful that this example has stirred thoughts about our heros. Keep on roddin gang.

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  16. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Great movie. Christian Bale was outstanding. Neat to see the focus on Ken Miles.

LOU WELLS, FlyFisher, 6inarow and 6 others like this.
  17. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

I agree. There is so much to tell and he was a character as well. Read his book(s) about a year ago and they are interesting.

I enjoyed the Ford Vs Ferrari movie. Not 100% accurate, but close enough to make it good.

18. Anything but another super-hero movie please

19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Mickey made his own movie "Man in the steel cage" but was never released , no studio would pick it up for distribution. Its was a documentary of his racing career, the racing action was good, but the whole concept was just terrible and the facts/events were scewed to his favor, I was there

1. The Surfers: See above; David vs. Goliath story
    2. Ed Roth: See above
    3. Lil John Buttera: Hot rodder, innovative race car builder & last Indy 500 privateer
    4. Smokey Yunick: See above.
    :cool:

loudbang, wraymen, das858 and 2 others like this.
  20. ckh

ckh

21. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Looking forward to seeing this one.

I'd like to see:
    M/T
    Snake & Mongoose
    NASCAR/stock car origins
    etc

The good thing about Netflix, Amazon etc having so much pull now is there's a better chance these stories will get told and told well as these streaming services have some clout.

loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  22. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I think one reason this movie is doing so well is it taps into that old "American ingenuity" theme like some of the NASA related movies have. For another automotive based movie to do well, it needs another "hook" than just about cars to attract John Q Public's eye.

23. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Agreed. Not sure the Ford vs Ferrari general success is as much about the cars or lives of the participants as it is about the actual competition, win/lose/conquest story line. Joe public won't watch a movie about car guys lives. It has to be a story about a conquest or a tragedy or some end game. M/T might work if the story was about his tragic death but not if it is about his life. Folks don't go to the theater to see a documentary. 100 bazillion people didn't watch Titanic for the scenery or because the boat was nice.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  24. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Saw it on opening night. Now, I haven't seen a movie twice in the theater since the '80s. I saw it again last night with other friends. Everyone loved it.

25. "Racing" movies have always done better than "hot rod" movies. Any success of Ford Vs Ferrari may spawn other race movies but Rod and Customs? It pains me to say, not so much. :oops:
    A race movie can be loaded (true or false) with good guys, bad guys, drama, tension, suspense, or like the old Olympic slogan...... "The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat".
    My wife and I went to see the FvF movie on Sunday. She loved it! But she could care less about fixing up old cars, tradition, personalities, mega-dollar builds, economy builds, barn finds, "rusty gold", etc. She wouldn't drive to the other side of town to see a Ford GT 40 or a Ferrari whatever, or a gasser/laker/chopped/flamed/roadster/lead sled, let alone a movie about 'em.
    Some of the characters mentioned so far did have some racing chops so maybe, if there is enough overcoming adversity in the story, we might see a movie or two produced. Fingers crossed. :cool:

26. slowmotion

slowmotion

People want to see a movie that tells a story. That movie tells a story, just so happens that the principles were heavily involved in the racing/automotive field. (Lucky for us!)
    I'll see it eventually.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. tractorguy

tractorguy

Just got back from Ford V. Ferrari. I was actually pleasantly suprised. I really like the Phil Remington inclusion and Ken Miles sure seemed to be the real deal. Having come from the auto industry and several stints in Detroit, I really was pleased with the dynamics of all the corporate "committee" scenarios.......underlings butt kissing......underlings always wanting to "talk for the boss"......and the soap opera of the corporate world colliding with the racing world. I was on the perimeter of some of that in another company and the portrayal seemed very realistic. Would have liked to see a little more mention of old Shel's seven wives.

28. tractorguy

tractorguy

Oh.....back to the original question......several good suggestions on other movie themes from the gearhead world. I personally would love to see a movie done on the "barnstorming" state fair circuit dirt track racers of the 1930's thru 1940's........speedsters......midgets......sprints. There are some real human interest stories out there surrounding the guys who lived and died in that era. Have fun.

loudbang, dana barlow and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. Smiffy

Smiffy

The film for me did a great job of capturing the spirit of the era. Men building cars and racing them willing to give anything a go if it produced the desired results a lot like hot rodders, salt lake racers, drag racing etc. Interesting for me was the four drivers who were in the first two winning cars three were Kiwis ( New Zealanders) Bruce Maclaren, Chris Amon and Denny Hulme. Maclaren and Hulme going on to dominate Can Am racing series in the later 60's & early 70's with seat of the pants home built cars.