Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early Ford Quick Change Banjo Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brsturges, Nov 4, 2019.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Everything I have seen on your car is first class. Sorry to see that second class rear end:p
    When you're ready to step up, I'm here!

2. With a Winters V8 Quick change you don't need to notch the 32 Gas Tank.

big duece likes this.
  3. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Alright, time for the axle assembly. The only hiccup I encountered was the fit between the driver's side axle and the ring gear. The axle goes through the ring gear in the area circled in red in the photo below and rides on the area of the axle circled in red. The fit was a bit tight, so I found a socket that was the right size, wrapped some 500 grit sandpaper around it, and honed the opening in the ring gear ever so slightly. That did the trick.

IMG_5196.jpg

I got all my internal parts cleaned up and spread out ready for assembly.

IMG_5192.jpg

I greased up the passenger side axle and the passenger side of the differential carrier....

IMG_5236.jpg

And slid the passenger carrier half onto the passenger axle. I then clamped the axle down in a vise to hold it steady when the rest was assembled.

IMG_5237.jpg

Some more grease on the axle teeth and the spider gears...

IMG_5238.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
    Then I fit the spider gears into the passenger side carrier half.

IMG_5241.jpg

I greased up the driver's side carrier half and installed it the same way it came off. Note the punch marks on each half (circled in yellow), which were made during disassembly. An important step I am told...

IMG_5242.jpg
    IMG_5243.jpg

The last remaining parts are the driver's side axle and the ring gear assembly.

IMG_5244.jpg

Those got greased up and went together nice and smoothly thanks to the quick hone job.
    IMG_5245.jpg
    IMG_5246.jpg

Then that whole assembly can be bolted to the passenger side assembly that is secured in the vice.

IMG_5247.jpg

Threw some washers on, applied some loctite, and torqued them down.

IMG_5248.jpg
    IMG_5249.jpg

That's it for the axle assembly. Next post will be assembling the housings and shimming the quick change gears.

kadillackid likes this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Thanks for posting your QC experience. Looking forward to the rest.

5. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

On to the next step....

Before final assembly, I finally installed the axle seals. These are the seals at the ends of the banjo housings and they can be tricky to get seated correctly. I used a 3 foot length of allthread and a few sockets to build a little tool to press them in.

IMG_5477.jpg

The spacing is very important here. You can see my socket held up to the end of the allthread to check to make sure I will be able to disassemble everything once it is pressed/pulled into place. The big socket on the right presses the red seal into place when pulled in with a nut on the end of the allthread shown in a few steps below. The black socket centers the assembly nicely in the axle housing end. The allthread needs to stick out far enough to get on nut on it with a strong enough spacer (I used another socket) to take the load.

The assembly gets inserted in the axle housing. I did this with the axle standing up and elevated from the ground, but you can do this with it laying horizontal on the ground too. Probably would have been easier :rolleyes:

IMG_5478.jpg

If you measured correctly, you'll have some allthread sticking out the end of the housing.

IMG_5479.jpg

I then placed an appropriately sized socket over the allthread and tightened a nut to pull the seal into the housing. The vice grips on the other end ensure the allthread won't rotate.

IMG_5480.jpg

The axle seal is nicely in place without any damage. The picture makes it look uncentered but it is in fact centered perfectly.

IMG_5481.jpg

More to come...

6. butch27

butch27

Great work a little more than I did on mine.

7. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Thanks guys.

The next step was prepping the center section. I changed my mind a bunch of times deciding whether to use studs and lock nuts (which came with the kit), studs and acorn nuts, or bolts to fasten the housings to the center section. I ended up deciding on studs and acorn nuts. That meant I needed shorter studs than what came with the kit. I got some set screws for the job. There are two holes on each side of the center section that go all the way through, so I used sealant on those to prevent any leaks.

IMG_5418.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5425.JPG

This next part is really where the engine stand comes in handy. I rotated the center section so that the passenger side is facing up. Again, I decided against using any sealant and just greased the mating surfaces lightly.

IMG_5482.jpg
    I installed the gaskets/shims for the passenger side based on the test fitting discussed above.
    IMG_5483.jpg
    I greased the axle housing mating surface...
    IMG_5484.jpg
    And then torqued down the acorn nuts in a star pattern. The instructions said 25 foot pounds if memory serves...
    IMG_5486.jpg
    Then the center section can be rotated on the engine stand and the axle assembly can be inserted as shown.
    IMG_5198.jpg
    Repeat the same steps for the driver's side taking care to use the correct gaskets/shims and torque it down.
    IMG_5492.JPG
    Once I assembled it for the final time, I rechecked the carrier bearing preload and the backlash. All was good. The last step is shimming the helical quick change gears, which I'll cover in the next post.

8. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Sorry for the delay in wrapping up this build thread. Life got in the way a bit.

Time to install the quick change gears and get them properly shimmed.

When you opt for helical cut quick change gears, it is recommended that you use the shim kit to adjust the forward and aft play the gears have on their respective shafts. This is done with shims shown below.

IMG_6101.jpg

The shims come in .030, .045, and .060 thicknesses. The instructions that came with the set were straightforward, but did not address how exactly to measure the play.
    IMG_6103a.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg

Before we start shimming, the spacer needs to be installed on the lower shaft. That's part number SR3417/SR3416 in the diagram above and shown in with the green arrow below. It's a tight fit so maybe heat it up a bit and be prepared to tap it home. A large socket or pipe is helpful here.

Spacer example.jpg

I couldn't figure out the best way to measure for the right clearance. Bruce had a great suggestion, which was to over shim the gears, install the cover with the gasket (barely tightening down the cover) and use a feeler gauge to see how much gap you have. The first trick is getting the gap to be even from top and bottom. My clearances were slightly off when I used the same shims on both shafts. My top shaft needed a .060 and the bottom shaft needed a .045. That got me a uniform gap between the case and the cover. See the picture below of me using a feeler gauge.

IMG_6105.jpg

Some math is obviously involved here. If you have .025 of clearance between the case and the cover, you need to remove about .015 worth of shims. You are shooting for a clearance of .005 to .015.

Once this setting is figured out, you can carefully torque down the cover and your quick change will be essentially all done. I still need to figure out how I will be venting mine, but for now, the project is complete. Hope this helped some of you get an overview of how this project goes. It was certainly a fun one and I am thrilled to have an early Ford style quick change rear set aside for my next project. Thanks for following along. And once again, thanks to @GearheadsQCE for selling a great product and providing even better technical support!

Brad

HemiDeuce and teach'm like this.
  9. soonrodder

soonrodder
    from germany

Awesome thread!
    This makes me buying my 3620, also.
    Mine was an open driveshaft, so I need some time to get the right parts to convert it to closed driveshaft, as yours was from the beginning.
    Now I will go thru your assembly instructions.
    What was missing at my QC was the instructions- could you please send it to me or take it here via pdf?
    Thank you so much!
    Again, great job!
    Michael

[​IMG][​IMG]

The H.A.M.B.

10. chasmatik

chasmatik

11. chasmatik

chasmatik

great info on the clearancing of the ring gear bolts

12. GuyW

GuyW

It looks like one would have to re-shim every time one changes gear ratio pairs

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

No, the gears are generally pretty consistent for thickness, especially from the same manufacturer. As far as I know, only Winters is currently making helical 6 spline gears. No need to shim straight cut gears, but it doesn't hurt.

GuyW likes this.
  14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Good article! I found that by the time you get all done, purchasing the Winters tapered tube completely assembled is the way to go. Just my opinion.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  15. Frames

Frames

I used 35 axle housings. 35-41 same width. Your axle housings are 42-4 2014-07-17 15.32.24.jpg 8. 2" wider. I used 4 1/2 " back space wheels to tuck the tires in close to the body.

GuyW likes this.
  16. steve hackel

steve hackel

After reading through this several times, my question is regarding a complete new Winters quick change rear end with the bells installed. Speedway lists the available axle bolt patterns at 5 x 4-1/2 & 5 x 4-3/4
    but is it possible to get axles with the standard 5 x 5-1/2 bolt pattern? It's a great product in itself, but I would hate to loose me bent spoke Kelsey Hayes wire wheels and new tires just to trade up to a new quick change rear end with the wrong bolt pattern. Just might be stuck with the older bells & axles in order to use Lincoln brakes with a 5 x 5-1/2 pattern.

17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Steve,
    It is definitely possible to get the Winters rear with the 5 on 5 1/2" bolt circle. I special order these all the time, and have them drop shipped directly to my customers. I don't know if Speedway does special orders.

To incorporate the Lincoln brakes, the housing ends need to be replaced with ones that use the early Ford bolt pattern. There are a couple of ways to accomplish this. You can either use Ford V8 axle trumpets or cut the ends off the Winters housings.

I'll send you a PM with my phone number and we can discuss the particulars.

And to all that are reading this, remember that Alliance Members get a 10% discount. That's probably enough to cover your Alliance Membership and the shipping. Spend your stimulus $ with small businesses. You can't get any smaller than Gearhead's Quickchange Exchange.

Bruce

18. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Budget36 likes this.
  19. irishjig13

irishjig13

This is a great article from start to finish. I am pretty new to this era of Fords. I recently acquired a 1930 Model A with a Flathead V8, original 3 speed top loader and banjo rear-end. I would like to upgrade to a QC rear end and am looking for a Borg Warner T5 to mate up to it as well.

Model A.jpg If anyone happens to read this and knows where a T5 can be found I would love to hear from you.

I just contacted brsturges regarding his QC for sale. If that doesn't materialize I will definitely be contacting GearheadsQCE for advice and selection. Thank you all, Kevin

20. Budget36

Budget36

Sorry to hear that. I checked out your ad, damned nice price. Wish I had a need for it! I suspect you’ll have a quick sale. Good luck!

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I f there is .025 feeler needed then isn't .035 of gear shim need to be removed to get .010 clearence? Also just a note that the set screws used as studs maybe too brittle and snap [over time] but at 25# may not be a worry. I learned this at work as we used them for clamping and some would just give up over night.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  22. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

It has been a while, and my math may have been wrong. Alternatively, I may not have explained that the gasket needs to get taken into consideration. Can’t recall the thickness of the gasket offhand but that may make up the difference.