Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 2 door 150 handyman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Oh we'll be there! The reunion is my favorite, never miss it. I'm building a 56 9 passenger for a customer at the moment and it got me wanting one. Seems like I've had so many tri 5's in my shop this year, i had to get involved lol 20190424_185629.jpg 20190424_185629.jpg View attachment 4487716 20190805_125706.jpg

loner2, 1947knuck, brEad and 5 others like this.
  2. Oh and if you ever wanna remove rust from those pesky panels that someone stripped and left in the rain before they brought it to you.... POR-15 metal prep. Bout $15. Take a red scotchbrite pad to the panel and blow the dust off, the spray it, k 20190805_125714.jpg eep the panel wet for about a half hour, meaning you go back every 5-10 minutes and respray them. After that just let em dry about 24 hours, wipe them down with a wet towel and dry, blow them dry, and put a coat of epoxy or dtm primer on them and go to town!

loner2, 1947knuck, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.
  3. PM sent.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Looks like the perfect shop truck!

loudbang likes this.
  5. redo32

redo32

I was going to give the dissertation on Handyman and sedan delivery last night, but as I was want to do I got lazy and went to bed. Glad I did. Fun project, a delivery with a back seat. But I like the Handiman too.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Yeah I don't believe i called it a delivery. As a matter of fact, the title reads "150 handyman".

loner2, 1947knuck, OLSKOOL57 and 3 others like this.
  7. Hey ya Lloyds, welcome here and some long distance greets from over here.

Cheers, Carsten

loudbang likes this.
  8. Glad to be, hanging out with gear heads but you don't gotta share beer!

loner2, 1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  9. Ok tri 5 guys, this car has a 605 power steering box, the column that's in the car is junk. I need to find a donor column that'll work lengthwise with a rag joint. Preferably a column shift. Any ideas?

10. And another question, is the stock rear end sufficient in these cars? Anything i need to know before i hit the road and end up calling a rollback because i should've swapped it out for a later 10 bolt?

11. think I went by your place today - off 56 ?

loudbang likes this.
  12. Route 36, what's a guy from Dallas doing in owingsville Ky? Lol. The 57 sitting in the front yard

13. RMONTY

RMONTY

No I am in Trenton off the beaten path. 121 between Bonham and McKinney.

loudbang likes this.
  14. RMONTY

RMONTY

I think stillrunner was talking about me.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Lmao! I was wondering why he didn't just stop by!

16. Cool project, is this one you're keeping for yourself?
    White interior in a wagon, that's going to look really custom. Stock rears don't hold up to much abuse, ok for cruising but if that turbo 350 has a shift kit... Pretty sure a mid '60s "A" body GM rear is close to the same width.

OLSKOOL57 and loudbang like this.
  17. Early bronco and 58-9 Ford 9" rears work great. I've got one from a ,I think, 59 Edsel ranger in my 56. The stock posi rear ends are fairly stout.

loudbang likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's gonna depend on engine, tire grip and your right foot, left foot too if it's a 4 speed.

belair likes this.
  19. Well it's gonna be a a cruiser with the occasional drunken burnout lol, yeah i believe im keeping this one but time will tell. Going all white on the interior, and a true blue flake on the outside with white scallops. Something along these lines Screenshot_20191118-111118_Gallery.jpg

20. I've sold a few f- body differentials to guys building tri 5 cars, they say they are a bolt in

1947knuck, chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  21. sololobo

sololobo

Welcome to the Jalopy Journal, a great treasure trove. I loves me a 57, have had 36 titled in my name and had a 150 handyman. Kudos for your fire fighting duties, one of my hot rod pals is the Omaha fire chief here, a hero of mine. The 57 is a super classic and sounds like you are going to do it proud, best wishes an your build and your interaction on this forum.

61Cruiser, loudbang and chevy57dude like this.
  22. Thank ya very much, I've gotta get the steering column straightened out and some brakes going on and I'll get moving on this puppy. I'm more excited about this wagon than any other car I've had.

23. A lil late for the reply..... BUT- A square nova is the go to if you can find one. Still an 8.5 /8.75 rear, but a bolt in, and not a drop out.... Just a lil stronger, chev bolt pattern, and "used" to be the "upgrade". Never done it myself, cause I've never had a tri 5,but- seemed to be the upgrade, and easy swap.......... Just food for thought.;)

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  24. I pulled a 10 bolt out of a 70 nova once and one of my buddies took it and said it would bolt in his 55. But if the stock axle will suffice im not gonna swap it out.

1947knuck, Peanut 1959 and loudbang like this.
  25. If you want that stock 55-6 box and column help me figure a way to ship it that doesn’t cost more than it’s worth. Also pedals should go out in the morning instead of Wednesday!

26. catdad49

catdad49

Welcome, Lloyd! Dad bought a '57 BelAir sport coupe when it was brandy new, sounds like a great project.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  27. Hey Scott, you're awesome brother. I don't know how to ship that column and box. I'll keep digging around here for a bit and if it comes down to it we'll figure something out.

1947knuck likes this.
  28. Nothing wrong with a stock rear IMO. However, consider its age and maybe have a back up plan. That is what I did, now running a 9" from a 60 wagon. It's about 1.5" wider, but fits with 15 X 7's. As for the steering, any rag joint column should work. Most people chop the stock steering shaft and use the original steering column and housing. With that in mind, you could do the same with something else. Do you have a factory column housing now? Might want to consider using the firewall mounting hardware on whatever you decide on.

29. I seen what you was telling me about the 605 box Scotty, i read for a while on the topic. I have 2 stock 3 on the tree columns. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the help guys

1947knuck and scotty t like this.