Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Oregon swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Nov 16, 2019.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

So, I got healed up from a ass over tumble cart during mid week and sauntered off to the Albany swap meet today. Used to be a lot of cars for sale not so much today . Mostly body parts. Is that what is happening in your neck of the woods ? I know ,pics or it didn't happen but i picked up a few pieces . Bought a pair of finned aluminum headlight mounts , a factory GM Muncie four speed shifter with "Muncie" on both sides of the handle in really nice no blemish condition and a complete 3-71 Supercharger blower that the hope is to go on one of my inliners . I am stoked. Anyone else go ?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the swap meets I went to here in Washington this year I would say it all depends on who decides to pack stuff up and go and sometimes what guys decide to get rid of. Or what they saw sell good at the last swap meet.
    As for us going I think most of us have our serious "shopping list for the current project" and then the look for a deal mindset that lets us buy something we might not need soon like the shifter or something else that is just too interesting to pass up after we don't find the stuff on our primary shopping list.
    I'm thinking that I need to sort out all of the stuff I bought at swap meets and online the past 30 years and haven't used and take back enough to sell and buy more stuff.

Stogy, stillrunners and 41rodderz like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Swap meets are a lot like fish'n!
    I came home empty handed many times both as a buyer and a vendor, also came home with rare parts as a buyer and spending money as a vendor.
    The days of finding the rare stuff cheap is history but you still gotta give it a shot.
    The fish don't just jump in the boat!

Stogy, stillrunners and 41rodderz like this.
  4. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

As a vendor I sell mostly trim 1960 and older...I am finding a lot of guys are asking for 80's-90's parts....us older guys are thinning out and the younger generations have no interest in our cars.....

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I need to get in that mindset as well , to clear some room. Every swap meet is less room in the garage and rafters . :D

Stogy likes this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

After my purchases today now I have to start collecting parts for the 3-71 build etc. Never ending vicsious cycle but that's hot rodding :D. I think a little blower on a inliner 6 will be cool ( performance, sound and looks) . Something a little different:D

7. verde742

verde742

when I buy good stuff at a Swap Meet,
    By the time I get it home it Morphs into some more of my old car stuff, [​IMG]
    my wife and girls will have to get rid of.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Stogy, 41rodderz and Budget36 like this.
  8. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I picked up a radiator for my 40 Plymouth, some 37 Plymouth tail light buckets in pretty rough shape (but for five bucks I figured they're better than what I have....nothing. lol) and a cool Olympia Beer light to hang up in the shop.

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Cool. I missed last January and last November but one of the club guys that put it on said they were going to take the January race swap and try to get it more like the November style. Has that happened?

10. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

They had a booth there yesterday handing out discount coupons for the January show. We talked to the lady a little bit, and she said the race car swap meet and the car show/swap meet are all working together to make a better event for the January show. We are going to go down and check it out.

CPT_Kill_Roy and 29EHV8 like this.
  11. Do you have any more info on this swap? We would like to head down for it!
    Cheers.

-Shiny

12. I was there as well on Saturday, didnt find anything i was looking for. Grandpa came home with a nice chrome 12 bolt cover and a wing window assembly for his 71 C10, so he had a good day.

13. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I don't know much about it. It's a new one for me this year too.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope your wrong. I suppose it could be a regional change in dynamics however the furthur life evolves beyond 1965 all things vintage will have varied challenges remaining relevant. I do get out and about and jibber jabber with who ever wants to try out talking old cars with me...:D...many times it's the younger crowd but it's interesting talking to people younger than many of my former OT daily's...this stuff is hugely old...including it's old but not ancient Stogy...:D

But I do poke my nose through the Birthday Gals n' Guys here and many are jumping on the Hamb so there is room for Optimism. In the meantime I will enjoy The Ole Hotrod till I can't anymore and hopefully some Youngun will carry on where I left off...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  15. It's starting to happen in Oregon for sure, last few years at the big Portland Swap Meet starting to see a lot more mid to late 70's cars and parts showing up. Only 80/90's stuff is the popular cars like fox mustangs, grand national/monte carlo ss, camaro/firebird and pickup stuff. When it comes to the older stuff Ive seen an increase in tri five stuff and a huge decrease in pre war original Ford stuff. I still see a lot of Model A stuff, but rarely see 32-34 Ford parts. I am always looking to grab good 32-34 ford pickup parts when I can.

Stogy likes this.
  16. CPT_Kill_Roy

CPT_Kill_Roy

That’s good news, I have a long shopping list and most of it should be considered race parts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

NWRustyJunk likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Thanks. I am going to go as well. Take a wagon this time. Maybe collect some more 4 speed stuff. Thinking I need some rims as well.

18. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Where is the January show?