Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Homogenized Auto Parts Stores

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Nov 16, 2019.

1. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

how about 283 pistons. millions were made. now they are a special order item @ $1200 a set. there's a lot more stories out there.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

I need a manual steering center link for a 63 Galaxie. I'm not surprised that they are not available new; they are a 2 year only item and limited to bottom line full size Fords. Rare parts can rebuild them for 200 plus, closer to 300 actually. I could probably add power steering for less than that. I still had to give a lot of information to get those results. Pissed because I can't buy one today? Nope. Reality bites, but there's no reason to be pissed.

3. 5window

5window

The first one of these threads was probably posted in about '65. The good old days were always just before you came to the table.

Sent from my moto g(6) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

egads, 62rebel and leon bee like this.
  4. leon bee

leon bee

For the entire history of the world there's been guys like us standing around saying, "Man, this is the most fucked up it's ever been."

And they've always been right.

KevKo, 5window and williebill like this.
  5. 62rebel

62rebel

I imagine my grandfather would have been able to say something along these very lines.... and his grandfather before that.

6. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Remember the old saying, cheap is not good and good is not cheap.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ................At least you still have a Western Auto nearby.:D

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  8. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

When replacing a starter motor on a 350 small block I did not check the new bolts close enough for length.
    It cost me a great little engine bored 30 over with a Comp Cam, headers and a bunch of other parts because from around 1977 through the early 80's they changed the bolts to metric from standard bolts thread and there is a difference and my using the wrong bolts and torquing them down I cracked the outside bolt hole and could not fix it using epoxy or with screws.
    The auto parts stores are clueless and had not idea what I was even talking about when I showed them the difference with a vernier caliper from a metric starter motor bolt and a standard starter motor bolt it was just enough to crack the bolt hole in the block.
    Another expensive lesson in life!
    Jimbo

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  9. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

I remember when they did sell tires and some rims. Definitely mid to late 60’s. Yeah, lawn mower parts and appliances too.

10. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

We're fairly lucky, we still have a Mom and Pop store in Greer,SC. Midway Auto parts, owned by Fred Taylor, has been for years. But even they cant afford to stock as many old, slow moving parts as they used to, just a business necessity.
    I went there last week, was lucky enough to catch ol Bennie to help me. He 's been working there since I was a young man.
    " Bennie I need two head lights for a 68 Ford pickup"
    "That one still had the round ones , right?"
    "Yep"
    He walks around the counter, picks up two lights and hands them to me.
    I paid and left happy, its not always that smooth. There are still some good ones left, I try to enjoy it while I can.

OLSKOOL57, leon bee and 62rebel like this.
  11. leon bee

leon bee

When I lived in Kansas City years ago I used to go over to this Western Auto on Troost. Walk across the parking lot on Saturday or Sunday, man, you would just be walking on old sparkplugs, wires, light bulbs, filters, etc., etc. They did try to keep the oil slicks out at the edges of the lot.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. 6sally6

6sally6

Worked at the Poop Boys ( West Ashley) many-many times this was the case!
    Back-in-the-day..... Parks Auto Parts (Rivers Ave.) was open 24 hours!
    I have been in there at 2 am and there was a LINE!! Maybe because in the late 60's all there was were books and just a few people smart enough to look up the numbers!!
    I try to be understanding with the kid behind the counter.......cause I've been where he is. " I needa set of 8 spark plugs for such & such" He ask me if the car is an automatic or manual tranny.:confused:
    Only thing worse than dealing with "bulk made Chinese junk" is dealing with customers that know just enough to be dangerous (and too stupid to know it!)
    6sally6

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  13. uncle buck

uncle buck

In the guys defense, I’m sure the guy that sold you the starter had heard “there all the same” more than once and it was always his fault when it was wrong. In your situation I don’t know if that’s the case , but we all have to take some responsibility when we are building cars and swapping parts.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5window likes this.
  14. 5window

5window

Your first line is a really good lesson for us all. Must have been interesting threading in those metric bolts even before you torqued them?

K13 likes this.
  15. Yep not sure the parts people were the clueless ones in this deal....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  16. From reading the posts here I see a mix of opinions and thoughts.
    Yes, it seems their are still some old fashion Mom and Pop auto parts stores still around and I hope
    they succeed and prosper.

Call me late to the table or behind the times but I still miss those days.
    Made alot of friends from my experience's and learned a hell of alot from these people.
    I still see some of these people today and we still talk about some of the greatest times we had.