Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Are you ever asked to use your hotrod as a photo prop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by simplestone, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Ever since we first purchased our truck my wife has wanted to use it to photograph our dogs. And even though the truck is still a work in progress it has finally been deemed worthy enough. lol

Anyways, I thought I would share some pictures my sister-in-law took during one of her photo shoots using our truck and one of our dogs, Theo (a beagle pug mix). The pictures were for my wife's blog which features professional pet photographers, and she was doing a promotional post for a commercial product. If you are a dog lover you might want to check out the great photos at https://www.dailydogtag.com/

Here are a couple of the pictures taken from the shoot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The link to my wife's blog which has the other pictures from this photo shoot is: https://www.dailydogtag.com/pet-photography/supreme-source-dog-food-review/

How many others have photos of their rides used as a prop? I'd love to see them!

PS: Feel free to enter the giveaway (see link above) for a chance to win some pet food and treats!

2. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Yeah, I had my truck in the basement at Cobo Hall a few years ago. Had a photographer ask if he could take some pics with a sorta pin-up girl. Sure. Sorry, no pics.

Stogy likes this.
  3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

My T in a friends michell%20hot%20rod.jpg graduation picture.

Driver50x, e1956v, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. LAROKE

LAROKE

5. I had a Maaco rep ask to use my car in a "before" pic once. :)
    Cute dog by the way.

6. Cool photo. The trucks nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

1947knuck, alanp561, weps and 3 others like this.
  7. Movinman

Movinman

To many times for free. We finally smartened up and we now charge $250.00 per car for any kind of photo shoot. The bottom line is the photographer, or whoever is ultimately responsible for putting the shoot together, is going to make money off of the end product. It doesn't matter if it's through advertising, or the expense to the person being photographed. Our time is just as valuable as theirs, so now we get paid for it.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Told them no. Tat parlor

partsdawg likes this.
  9. Bigblue61

Bigblue61

Like this :)
    This was for a calender 75446546_2894478553924973_1746104213861040128_o.jpg r

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Not really a photo shoot but I’ll post anyway. Grand opening at a apartment complex
    E90631B8-9D52-42A4-8D18-93CFC9C9BF4B.jpeg

11. My wife has a 1937 Chev pickup with a SBC, but I don't think she would go for this! Did have a gal follow us home when we lived on Maui to ask if she could take pics for stationary but wife declined.

1 more car I promise, Rex Winter
    Dry n windy Lubbock TX

LAROKE likes this.
  12. Awesome photo. The cars nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. 2935ford

2935ford

Well.......back when I was living in SoCal I had pretty much finished up my '55 Chev convert other than the interior I had put a for sale sign on the rear quarter windows. My now ex got a late call in the evening call from a woman who wanted info about my car. I was working swing shift and my ex called to let me know of that call and to give the lady a call back when I could. Well about an hour later this woman call her again saying I had not returned her call. I finished up my shift, got home and my ex had left a note saying the woman had called again and would I please call her immediately regardless of the time. So, I finally returned her call. She didn't want to buy the car, she wanted to use it for a photo shoot for a magazine the next day. I inquired as to what magazine. She replied High Society. Hmmm, I had not heard of that mag but I was to get $65 for the use of my car.
    It turns out that is a "girly" mag. I agreed and showed up at the address given. It was to be a Archie-Veronica 50's themed shoot thus the reason for wanting my car.
    Long story short, the photographer was the woman who had called. I spent from 8am until 4:30pm watching her shoot my car and three models one male and two females in various states of undress to full nudity in a secluded part of town that overlooked a housing tract in Studio City.
    I asked when the mag would be on the market and was told if her shoot got accepted probably the June issue. It was then November. I also had a short conversation with the photographers male companion. I asked him how they got the models. He tells me they just call an agency and they send them out. The models got paid $50 for the day.
    Sure enough, the June issue contained this shoot and my older sister and my mom were the first to get a copy. A little embarrassing but, hey........that's California for you.
    I kept my copy for awhile then it got lost in subsequent moves through the years. I've tried locating another copy but this mag wasn't widely distributed like say Playboy etc.
    55 Chev Convert 10.jpg

Stogy, loudbang and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. Does last year's Christmas card count? lol:) My dad in the red tie. Baby Ruth'y is in the pedal car. I'm beside Mrs. Claus behind the hood. 20181212_074322.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

vtx1800, edcodesign, 32SEDAN and 10 others like this.
  15. Gman0046

Gman0046

I haven't but have read some accounts from others that have and was turned off that their cars were not treated well during the photo shoots. That wouldn't work for me.

Stogy likes this.
  16. Yes...will be loaning my pickup tomorrow afternoon to be used in a photo shoot for someone's family Christmas card. Apparently they needed an old beat up farm truck looking pickup for that traditional Christmas image. :D

Ron Funkhouser, Stogy and DIYGUY like this.
  17. Not my hot rod, but yes, my 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan when I was a kid....the owner of a bar in Detroit called, "Dirty Harry's Speakeasy" on Michigan Avenue wanted a poster for over his bar. We went on a little photo shoot in some back alley downtown Detroit. I was able to catch my own shots with my Instamatic camera. The poster over the bar turned out GREAT! Somewhere I have a copy of that. Here are my shots....there is a shot of them topless, but I probably should not post it here.... post-37352-143142381201.jpg

hiboy32, 32SEDAN, 1947knuck and 6 others like this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Not too long ago this one really done-up pinup looking gal with photographer in tow had her photo dude ask if she could take pics in/on/around my car.. I was like nah it's cool.

Then I let my 3 year old daughter and her friends climb around and play in it. Miss Pinup was all huffy. Then Some dude was like "Aren't you afraid she'll mess something up?"

Nah. If she does I'll just fix it. Folks are too weird about people touching their cars. Miss Pinup could have if she wasn't weird and just asked... or just did it. But that stuff is kinda dumb...

20. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

[/ATTACH] 0826171922_HDR (1).jpg Corvette-102.jpg 20170914_152112.jpg 20170914_152705.jpg 20170914_154330.jpg Shop model period pic BW.jpg PINUP 56.jpg I've had a couple of occasions for the car and the shop and the Corvette.
    I was stopped by a wedding photographer while driving through the Garden of the Gods and traded his wedding shots for a stand alone shot of the Corvette.
    I was also contacted by a photographer who wanted to do a shoot in front of the shop. Thanks to the guys here on the photo shop thread they got rid of the late model cars for me.
    Last but not least by a pinup girl at the Hot Rod Rock and Rumble last year.

21. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sometimes, Miss Pinup is covered with baby oil to look shiny. Lot's of fun to clean off your car. Don't ask me how I know.

e1956v and Stogy like this.
  22. I had my own photo of my own O/T vehicle used without my knowledge or permission on a web page to hawk their version of an accessory on the vehicle. I bombed them with a few email messages and got them to pull my photo.

loudbang likes this.
  23. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I had a singing group manager stop by the shop a few years ago and wanted to use our 46 chevy truck in a music video. I trailered it about 20 miles to an old abandoned farm yard and gave the lead singer a quick lesson on starting and driving a stock 235/3 speed truck. she was all of 17 and actually caught on quick other than I had to back down the hill to the barn after every take because she was scared to do it. I got paid all of $100 but it was actually a fun day and I got a bit of free advertising out of it because the shop name was painted on the doors of the truck. The thing is so worn out that figured they couldn't hurt it to bad.

e1956v, wraymen and Stogy like this.
  24. True story, as far as I know...........
    A car club that was dedicated to a certain O/T mark that I can't name here *Mustang* wanted to produce a calendar with shots of their own cars. Their plan was to chip in on the cost and maybe sell a few to raise a little fun money for the club. Ford noticed the online chatter about the whole scheme and sicced their lawyers on 'em and shut 'em down. ........said they (Ford) owned any and all images of their trademark product.

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, Pick 'n Pull.

LOU WELLS, Montana1, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  26. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

I just shot a special for the Discovery Channel with my 32 roadster. Don't ask me details because I know very little about the concept, the name of the show, when it airs, etc. Just a show about hot rods I guess. The request came out of the blue. We did interviews, driving and parked, also some drone shots and road shots with a chase vehicle. I had to be very specific and insistent about what they could or couldn't do, and where they could stick suction cups for cameras. I told them windshield glass only. They wanted to suction cup a GoPro camera on the hood, but I nixed it because the paint is 1975 lacquer and flames and nobody really knows what might happen when they pull that suction cup off. Especially with a hot motor and 35 degrees outside. It can't be repaired if they wreck it, so they needed to know that ahead of time. Also I was the only person allowed to drive it.

I am in the business of shooting commercials and films, and I would strongly recommend saying "no" to requests to have your car involved in a shoot -- UNLESS YOU KNOW THE PEOPLE INVOLVED AND ARE WITH YOUR CAR THE ENTIRE TIME. I can not stress this enough - stay with the car. Don't go to the craft services table to eat breakfast burritos and chat up the actresses. Stay with the car. It's not unusual on a shoot to have people jumping in and out of convertibles without using the doors, standing on the seats, crawling on the hood . . . or God forbid, doing a TJ Hooker across the hood. Being a car guy, I've had to yell at many people regarding their treatment of someone's car on a shoot. They treat it like any prop, like a couch or a barstool.

I shot this while they were doing an interview with a guy from Bennett Coachworks who did some work on the car -- it was Nov. 5, our last day before the snow began to fly:
    IMG_4848.jpg

1947knuck and Stogy like this.
  27. My main hobbies have always been cars and photography. Back in the good old days, or maybe I should say back in my good young days there was a photo club in the town next to mine. The town’s Parks and Recreation Department sponsored the photo club. Once a year they would have a model photo shoot. The models ranged from young girls wanting to be models to professional models. The cameras ranged from point and shoot to professional. It always turned out to be an enjoyable day with refreshments. Beautiful cars and beautiful women, what could be better. A couple of months later they would have a show of the photographs. I never had any problems but wouldn’t drop the car of in the morning and come back for it in the afternoon.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS and Stogy like this.
  28. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

A photographer used my truck last year for a Christmas card shoot. I have lots of pictures of kids in the truck but didn't feel it was appropriate to post them. :cool:
    1554.jpeg

1947knuck, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Wow, a lot of very nice pics! Good advice here about keeping a good eye on your vehicle during the shoot, or at the very least giving specific instructions on what IS and what IS NOT allowed.

Another one of mine...
    [​IMG]

mctim64, 32SEDAN, 1947knuck and 7 others like this.
  30. My old 1932 Ford door sedan was used for a album cover for a Blue Grass band, they told ne I would get a copy of the album but never did, I did get 300 bucks the day of the shooting. HRP