Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot rod definition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flamed48, Nov 14, 2019.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

A hotrod is in my mind. I saw them I touched them and they made a lasting impression on me. I am holding true to what is a hotrod in my mind and on this site. Old fuckers we are? Maybe but theres a lot of younger guys and gals who like OLD hotrods. THE original hotrods. If you don't like us or old hotrods, move on. Plenty of sites that have just what your looking for. Quit yer bitchin us old fuckers don't have time for it. I feel better now, maybe . I can't remember. LOL. Lippy:D

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

I have wondered about Hot Rod where the name came from. Was it from early engines had splash oiling and as you increased HP and RPM the rods were the first thing to give up.

3. Hot rod Stands for hot roadster.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  4. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Holy hell guys, the last thing we need is this to turn into a "don't assume my gender" style discussion. Let's just all agree to disagree and slap anyone who calls our custom a rat rod. Cars are cool. I like cars. You like cars. Cool? Cool.

Sent from my cp3705A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

A hot rod should be the closest thing you can make that looks like it came from a "hot wheels" pack. Something that appeals to your inner 12 year old self.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Driver50x and Lerenzo Rawson like this.
  6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

can-o-worms (1).gif

Not worth getting one's undies in a knot over as it means what the car owner or observer wants it to mean.
    I'm sure not going to mouth off to John Force and tell him that his Funny car is not a hot rod because ____________. Nor am I going to tell Kyle Petty or another circle burner that their cars aren't real hot rods.
    I'm not going out and tell that gold chainer with the billet laiden ugly wheeled gaudy painted LS powered rig that his car isn't a hot rod either as that will usually piss them off enough to cause bodily harm.
    Meanwhile I'll be doing my research to make sure that the highly visible items on my build "could have been available" in the time frame I am wanting to emulate.

8. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

I had a 1952 Plymouth with a 392 HEMI . My grandpaw (born 1895) would always say "let's go for a ride in your hot rod". Guess he thought it was a hot rod.

INVISIBLEKID, rpm56, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When was that @DAHEMIKOTA?...I think as alluded 48 Body Marked an end to a Visual and somewhat Defined Style of Hotrods Very much Revered Here. ShoeBox Nation and The Cruisers were moving in to Party and theres nothing wrong with that...So Fifty brought up all bets are off after 1948...call it whatever you want is a New Wave on Perception that I already mentioned gets the Hamb Blood Doin' the Testosterone right up to 1965...The Birth of Gasser, Altered, Railed Drag may have occurred during this period...I'm hoping I'm correct on the Birthing Ass:eek:umptions...:D

I have called 57 Chevy Drag Sedans Hotrods...I mean they are like Warriors...But I think there are clearly defined Race Classes So the Hotrod NOW is...

All this aside 1948 is where Hotrod is here as Historically Defined and The Post Hotrod Era Evolution introduces other classes of Modified Street Automobile...and Hotrod would never be far away in description of many...Think of The Customs Doin' a bit of Hotrod with the Caps removed on the side exhaust. That would Get Dahem's Grandpa to utter those 'Hotrod' Words indeed...

OLSKOOL57 and fiftyv8 like this.
  10. Lerenzo Rawson

Lerenzo Rawson

Well, just to clarify things, can someone logically explain to me why the cutoff is 1948? That year just doesn't make sense as a "line." The body styles didn't really change drastically until 55, hell, my 50 Pontiac still has an inline 8. Tell me that's not a hot rod just because it's too late, and I'll tell you where to go stick your head. That just doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my cp3705A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  11. ..........Fords changed dramatically in 1949 and we all know that only Fords can really be hot-rods!:eek::D;)

BamaMav, MMM1693, rpm56 and 5 others like this.
  12. Relax guys, I'm still searching for the "tongue-in-cheek" emoticon.:D;)

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

So a '47 Ford coupe could be a hot rod, but a '48 Ford coupe is not?

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They were out in late 47 we're good...:D

Darn 'Pre' words...

OLSKOOL57 and arkiehotrods like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At least were debating 1948 it's on the right side of 1965...:D

16. All i keep thinking about is the man John Force lol, he calls his drag car a hot rod constantly, now i consider a hot rod to be a fenderless, chopped, engine swapped, ground pounding beast, but I'm not anybody to say John Force's car ain't no hot rod lmao

arkiehotrods likes this.
  17. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Force also calls his F/C a heap. LOL. Lippy

18. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

That was 1962.The car was more of a modified than a hot rod. I put the 52 body on a 58 Plymouth frame to avoid a lot of steering clearance problems. We liked to call those "sleepers".

Stogy likes this.
  19. v8flat44

v8flat44

That thing i my garage into which i pour large amounts of money with little return.
    Or, as an old German friend once said; "das loun'n spitten fire boom'n thing".

j-jock, Lerenzo Rawson and Stogy like this.
  20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Everyone has a different definition.Mine is 48 and down,....to me.. that makes sense.
    I met a old(now long gone) dry lakes racer who told me.."When Henry put headlights into a fender,... it wasn't a Hot Rod"
    That was his definition.
    I respected his definition, but did not agree.

People have their ideas and definition.
    I have mine.

Stogy, 30tudor, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you limit to pre 48 It is destined to die. In 1960 a 32 ford was only 28 years old and they were cheap. What could be found today in the pre 48 cars that would called cheap. Most old Hot Rods were built because someone wanted a fast car they could afford. Today how much money would have in a pre 48 car vs new?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Lerenzo Rawson likes this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Hot rod- A passenger car or light pickup truck modified for racing or street performance by the owners and even by factory prior to the special built muscle car/pony car era. This encompasses anything from home built Speedsters to the factory FX drag cars through 1965.

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I believe the term NSRA used was pre-49 prior to its new 30 year cut off date.

24. railcarmover

railcarmover

Seen some kid with a '97 honda with a fart can,lowered with stickers on it..the look on his face was the same as all the other cats who build and dig their rides..those kids from years ago with an AV8 roadster would be rocking that honda today

31hotrodguy likes this.
  25. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I mentioned this before in another thread. Back in the early 60s friend, Ralph Towe, in OKC with the chopped, channeled, flathead Lincoln powered 37 Cornbinder pickup would differ with you.

j-jock and Stogy like this.
  26. Ziggster

Ziggster

Lol. That was entertaining, but I’ll keep my mouth shut.

Stogy likes this.
  27. It ain’t what we like to see but them kids make a 4 banger Honda go hard enough to put a big block Chevy on the trailer

rpm56, sunbeam and Lerenzo Rawson like this.
  28. railcar mover is right. The Honda is what hot rodding has always been about. I think what we do here is closer to restoring or even being reinactors, like the Civil War fans do.

29. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

source.gif

I don't think so...a great number of those kids parked their asses here and Fart Cans don't even figure into the conversation and if they do they have alternative playgrounds to play in...

Yes there was and continues to be an Off Topic evolution including The Post 65 John Force which has no relevance here...

The Hamb is a Choice for those Who see and celebrate a large swath of the distant path and it's Historic and prior to the end of 1965...​

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Lerenzo Rawson likes this.