Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Merc Kustom Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by michaelvz51, Aug 22, 2012.

1. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-11-02 Center Console Arm Rest 1.jpg Here is the start of the arm rest made out of 1/2" round tube. It will be covered in Sheetmetal and setup for padding in the upholstery.

2. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-11-02 Center Console Arm Rest 2.jpg A side view of the arm rest in place skinned in Sheetmetal from the passenger side. I have left 1/2" of space to allow for foam and upholstery both on the sides and more for the top. Next is the box under the arm rest lid for storage, cup holders and installation of side panels from wood along with a/c-heat switches etc. Also going to add a back up camera since these cars are real hard to see behind etc.

3. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Michael, can you post a picture of how you mounted your t-bird rear seat? please. Also I got the same speaker covers awhile back, I can't decide if I'm going to put them in the doors or the kick panels. I'll be using them with tweeters. Love the build.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

T Bird Seat Center Brace.jpg
    Hey ZZ Top, This is how I did mine. I made a Skeleton out of 1" Square Tubing, here is the bracing for the center of the bottom of the seat.

Cyclone Kevin and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

T Bird Seat Skeleton.jpg You can see the front "stop" which supports the bottom of the seat closest to the bottom of this picture.

6. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

T Bird Seat Skeleton 2 .jpg
    Another view of the Skeleton and bracing

7. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

T Bird Seat Stops.jpg I am pointing with my thumb and index finger at the tube I used to locate and lock the seat bottom in place which is similar to how the T Bird seat was originally installed.

8. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

9. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

The last pic I am pointing at the bottom of the seat where the tube "stop" will lock up against when you push the seat down into place

0NE BAD 51 MERC and loudbang like this.
  10. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-11-09 Center Console Complete 1.jpg 2019-11-09 Center Console Complete 2.jpg Got after it today in the garage and finished the center console. I made it out of 1" round tube framing and skinned it in 16 and 18 gauge Sheetmetal so when it is upholstered, it will have rounded corners. I mad a tray 4" deep to hold the all important cell phones etc and added 2 cup holders normally used for boats for beverages. The arm rest flips up and has a large box for storage in it too. Last, I mounted my Tach just in from of the shifter where its easy to see.
    Next, I need to figure out what to do with the hole in the dash where the clock is normally installed as it is an uncommon size gauge and I don't want to run it because it will not match all my other gauges. Thinking about making a cover with a Mercury Head in it that lights up so I can also use the original trim that goes there.

11. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thank you so much. I appreciate it

Cyclone Kevin and loudbang like this.
  12. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

You got it, hope it helps give some direction on how you want to mount yours.

loudbang likes this.
  13. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-11-16 Rear Seat Filler.jpg
    Interior Update: Continuing the wood work making the panels that will be upholstered and a close friend of mine, Jon, stopped by to check progress. Upon looking at the hole between the T Bird Seat Tops, he asked what I was going to do to fill this in? I showed him the fold down arm rest and upon checking that out, he said that the arm rest should be full length instead of stopping half way up. They stop half way up because the package tray for the T Birds fills in that space. After looking at lengthening the arm rest, I discovered that it would not lay down correctly because of the shape of the bottom of the seat.
    So, what do we do? Jon, an excellent fabricator in his own right, suggests that we make a tube skeleton, get some Stainless, bead roll it, and cover the skeleton. He thought that bringing more Stainless into the interior would break it up and accentuate the Stainless trim on the outside of the car.
    Here is the result of a day of fabricating, understand that it still needs a little tuning on the shape, polishing, and that the upholstery will meet up with the gaps on the sides. I like the beads as they will also compliment the pleats in the upholstery later on.
    Its just another different idea to ponder to tie the car together better.

14. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

2019-11-27 Desoto Tail Lights Installed.jpg
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone, here's a quick update on a small project I just finished. I restored my 55' Desoto Tail Light Lenses ( These are extremely hard to find!), replaced the "Red Dots" originally installed in them with the traditional "Blue Dots", painted the Reverse Light Lenses white as they are even harder to find and were very murky in color and final installed the Tail Lights in the re chromed bezels. I really like these now that they are installed...………..!
    You can also see the "Frenched In" Desoto Bumper and the perfect gap between the rear splashpan and the edge of the bumper.
    This bumper detail is a direct result of the combination of work by Craig Gilliam and by Khalil and his crew at Canoga Auto Works as both demanded we do fit up of all parts throughout the body work and paint process.
    Last, the molded in Shoebox License plate assembly with the wicked lead work by Craig Gilliam and the final prep of this area by Canoga Auto Works speaks for itself.
    There is an optical illusion in this picture as it appears that the passenger side tail light is pointing down but this is from camera angle-I had to double check it myself!
    I believe that Kustoms are all about details and have been schooled on the subject here on the HAMB, so I am thankful today for all of the information I have gleaned here on this site!

15. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

E750899C-6338-4D98-8550-7B3A0C396DE3.jpeg E750899C-6338-4D98-8550-7B3A0C396DE3.jpeg Hello Hambers,
    Hoping this finds you and your families safe and healthy. Been working in the Merc during this time and am going to share some update pics. Had some beautiful pinstriping done while I’m waiting my turn to get my car into the upholstery shop. Got lots done under the hood too like adding traditional finned valve covers painted to match etc. hope these pics bring a smile to some faces in light of the virus. 013AFB07-D0AC-4A3B-8B5A-410F78C81CC7.jpeg

Attached Files:

16. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

FEF8BB3A-800B-4BE9-9BFD-0947F04E57B7.jpeg Hubcaps next from a later model Merc and painted to match pinstripes of course

AAC34ABB-C5E7-4DA9-BBB6-5A7888772530.jpeg

17. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

loudbang likes this.
  18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

The car looks great!

loudbang likes this.
  19. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

F66715D2-A1FA-46C9-B319-12B76489CBFC.jpeg Here’s another update: getting exciting now! Upholstery next. The door panel I made utilizes Studebaker Lark trim that will separate the pearl essence white and dark blue pleats etc. that Lark trim magically matches the Merc’s “dip” in the door outside which will bring it inside too. What else do you guys see in the pic? It’s a challenge for you now

20. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like part of a "Drive in " speaker you are using for your door speaker cover.

And of course the "Mic" shift knob.

Mopar Tony likes this.
  21. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

the drive in speaker is pretty bad ass. I have one of those I was going to use for my car during shows.

loudbang likes this.
  22. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

You got it, there is a guy on the east coast who bought the foundry of the original drive in speaker mfg. he sells replica complete speakers, stands AND these half speaker covers which I simply modified for covers for my 4 speakers. He has many different styles from different years and the quality is excellent. He still supplies all of the remaining drive-ins with original speakers also, pretty cool....

loudbang likes this.
  23. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

The company is called Detroit diecast, and they have lots of different speakers available like I just talked about in my last post. In order to make them work you’ll have to drill the back out and tap the stands on the inside of the speaker cover so you can both them to your door frame or door panel. Looks like we’re onto something here, starting a new trend?

24. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Merc on Trailer Upholstery Carson Top .jpg
    Here is an update on the project. On the trailer returning home after completion of the upholstery. This pic shows the Custom Made Removeable Carson Top after upholstery.

25. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Merc Pic-Out of Upholstery Shop Top .jpg
    Fresh out of the Upholstery Shop, The Carson Removeable Top with padding and Convertible Top Canvas.

26. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Merc Interior Pic 1-Sets with top off .jpg
    First look at the interior prior to the Carson Top being installed. I had cut the bolsters off of the seats to make them more period correct and the end result was just what I wanted. The Blue in the upholstery actually changes color in the sun at different angles and at certain angles it matches the outside color of the car. Look at where the center console meets the dash and you can see the color match as the sun hits it. Got to give my wife the credit for seeing upholstery color and material this and helping pick it! The white upholstery is actually pearl essence white and also changes in the sun. Note the bottom of the door panels also have a small strip of the carpet which matches the carpet in the rest of the car. I tried my best to keep this as traditional and period correct as possible.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks sharp.

loudbang likes this.
  28. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Merc Interior towards back seat.jpg
    Looking into the rear of the car, the T-Bird Wrap Around Seat and filler piece in front of it really finish this off nicely.

29. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Mec Interior Pic Headliner 1.jpg
    Looking into the back and shows the headliner work done with pleats matching the center console

30. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Merc Interior Pic-Headliner.jpg
    Side view of the interior with headliner pleats etc. The "Lark" trim i used on the door panels to separate the blue and white was welded together seen here under the arm rest and still has to be removed, sanded and polished. The speakers and drive in speaker covers are to be installed once I complete the next big project-The Glass. Next updates will be the install of the flush glass split windshield and back window into the Carson Top. Last will be the reverse opening 49' Merc Rear Door Wind Wings I am fabricating and the Door Windows.