Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Should I chop top or leave the Coupe alone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James Haram, Nov 16, 2019.

1. 392

Chop mildly. Nice build.

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-11-17_16-2-58.png photo provided by @J.Ukrop

Hello,

Our first choice in hot rods was going to be a Model A Coupe with an SBC motor. We were going to leave the Model A we found, stock in appearance. Our friend had a stock appearing 34 5 window coupe and with his big Olds motor, did well at the drags. We just would have a powerful motor in it to surprise people at the drags and cruising around hot rod filled, Bixby Knolls in 1957.
    upload_2019-11-17_16-5-46.png much better with no chop

The main thing for us is that the whole Model A look is classic. It does not need any additions or in your case subtractions. The stock Model A grille stands out and looks much better than any grill additions. That 32 shell you have can be sold easily. The stock grille needs to be in place. Why ruin great lines and style? Yrmv

Jnaki

Either way, fenders or fender less, that Model A grille and hood just has it over any other style. It is a Model A after all, not a 32. In looking back, that Model A that we got running and then sold to another friend would have been my first hot rod, but everything worked out in the long run. So, the choice will always be with the owner of said Model A. The Model A has the style and looks for a cool hot rod. You can make your own decisions, this is just an added choice(s). How can a cool car like the red/black Model A be otherwise?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-1-4-19.1135003/#post-12896269 Model A for the drags & street

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. When i built my first model A it was a given that it had to be chopped and channeled to be cool, and it looked so amazing that i spent hours just staring at it, thinking about how i had just instantly became the baddest cat in the area, and then i started driving it...... my back hurt, my neck hurt, it was miserable, but cool to look at. My last model A, which was number 11, was highboy with a 4" chop, not as bad, but still not comfortable. Do what you like, but consider your comfort if you plan on driving it.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  4. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

I just chopped my '32 5w 3". love the improved look. I had a Model A coupe some years ago which I also chopped 3". The Model A is much easier to chop than the '32 but that didn't stop me. Don't be a candy, just do it!

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

So which of your three reasons would apply to the owner of this Model A? DSC_0068.JPG DSC_0133.JPG

6. upspirate

upspirate

I like Model A's chopped 2- 2 1/2".
    Coupes, sedans,trucks,all of them.
    Just enough to take the little bit of height off, but not enough to look extreme.
    The seating,steering and legroom can all be worked out....little harder in the truck though

nunattax and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I like channeled unchopped Model A's

8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  9. clem

clem

Kinda irrelevant here, as OP car is not channeled, and sits on a deuce frame, not an A chassis.
    But having said that, - what a cool model A !

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I vote chop, 4"-5" inches. Alter seating according. It's a hotrod not a caddy.

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  11. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My vote is chop-ola. Mine is a 4inch cut with a caravan seat. I'm 6ft 230lbs and fit fine. It's in the body work stage now. 20191002_183306.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A505U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil'Alb, desotot, 51box and 7 others like this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

I like mine chopped, but then I am short so fitting the car isn't an issue. However, it is awkward getting into my off topic sports car.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Exactly. ^^^ on all counts. Its a highboy. Maybe we don't use that term anymore but that is what it is.

My personal preference is a mild channel and a mild chop. Personal being that what I like to drive around in. Even on a deuce frame if it were mine I would channel it just a tad and loose some of the girth but not the reveal. But this car is basically built and it is a damned good looking car now.

14. Jokester

Jokester

Now that I've had a few days to think about it, I think that's a decision that should have been made before you bought the car. There should be some already chopped bodies around. Maybe you could arrange a trade with someone and save a lot of work.

.bjb

15. 33atspeed.jpg Put the seat you plan on using in the car. Sit down and have someone measure how much room between your head and the top. Cut the top one inch less than that number. At least, that's how I did it with my channeled 33 ford pickup. Never regretted it. Btw, my seat [ford mini van seat] was mounted on the floor with no adjusters. Chop was 5.5".

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

It,s not chopped already, its been a couple days now?

0NE BAD 51 MERC, clem and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

The Photoshopped chop by @low budget definitely gives off a tougher vibe than the stock height roof.

18. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

My 5 cents worth,
    I've just about finished building this coupe,I haven't chopped it,when I started the build I was going to chop it 4",,,,I decided to leave any decision to cut the roof till last,after I had completed the build ,,,,my final decision was to leave it stock height,,,as it had kinda grown on me,,,,,you don't see a lot of Model a hotrods unchopped ,,,still your choice , IMG_7668.jpg

Attached Files:

19. James Haram

James Haram

Beautiful coupe, love the look

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

3 - 4" chop, rear window 2"

21. topher5150

topher5150

I'd say leave it...mostly because I'm biased cause I cant fit in them.

nunattax and olscrounger like this.
  22. Like they say at the Chinese Restaurant " CHOP CHOP" the magic no for "A's" is 5 inch chop.

23. 51box

51box
    from MA

A heavy chopped car is all about seating position, steering wheel and pedal location. If you spend the time to really set them up to suit you instead of just putting them where they fit, it will be comfortable to drive. No I can’t see traffic lights if I get too close but what the hell its a hot rod not a Prius.
    Chop that thing 4”s + and you won’t regret it

adam401 likes this.
  24. I was about to say, mock up your seats, cushions, figure out your seating position and sit in the thing before you decide.

One reason I sold the A pickup I had was it was too small for me inside; if it had been a coupe, I would have probably made a drivable hot rod out of it, but I don't think I would have chopped it. I wouldn't want what's supposed to be a fun car that's cramped or uncomfortable to drive, or get in and out of.

In fact I scrounged a power seat track for my O/T daily van just to be able to raise the front of the seat because otherwise after a long day on my feet, then 2 hours driving I could hardly walk, I was so sore. Lifting my knees a little did away with all that.

nunattax likes this.
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

leave it the fuck alone and drive it

greaseSlinger57 likes this.
  26. Totally agree!:)

nunattax and greaseSlinger57 like this.
  27. koolbeans

koolbeans

nunattax and greaseSlinger57 like this.
  28. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

If you're going to chop it than really chop it. (5" chop)

29. If it were mine I'd chop it 2 " , after all it's a Hot Rod !

30. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Chop the shit out of it. If it was a tits body I'd say don't chop