Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are louvers as popular today as they have been in the past?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 6, 2019.

1. jim snow

jim snow

All good points. I find that hardly any water gets in while you are driving. And when parking I try to park nose up. That seems to work. Snowman

lothiandon1940 and Bandit Billy like this.
  2. exterminator

exterminator

3. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

I love them. I think the problem is is finding an old-school Louver guy

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Clik

Clik

Louvers don't have to be expensive. One of our car Club members got his from the back of old clothes driers at a recycling center. DSC_0275.JPG

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  5. Jalopy Joker and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

YES, very much so.

7. Much more popular today, in the 50's kids could not afford louvers, Magazine and Show cars got them, kids cars mostly no. JW

8. ............No doubt you make a good point, but I think it was as much a lack of availability as anything. Not every little crossroads had someone punching louvers, heck even today it's tough sometimes to find one. As far as pricing, I can't say what the costs were for layout and punching in the 50's, but I do know that some folks were doing them for a dollar each in the 60's. Yeah, I know that sounds cheap considering what they cost today, but of course everything was cheaper then. It's all relative, but I'm guessing a youngster could have gotten 80 louvers in the hood of his hot-rod for around $50-$60 in the 50's. Of course that's when $60 went a long way, in fact that was likely a week's take home pay for a lot of youngsters back then.:(

jim snow and LOU WELLS like this.
  9. If you have louvers, you don't need gages, the windshield will tell you all you need to know, HAHAHahah!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. ssracer

ssracer
    from oklahoma

Love the louvers on most cars & trucks. Here is my latest car w/ louvers. 51 Plymouth Concord.

Attached Files:

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

anyone do louvers in Sacramento, CA or up in Auburn area?

12. ssracer

ssracer
    from oklahoma

Had this model A done awhile back, should have done 5 rows instead of 3 to match visor

Attached Files:

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-10-2_4-2-13.png

Hello,

Old style louvers aren’t the most popular thing on new or old builds. Having once owned a sedan delivery with several rows of hood louvers, one tends to know what to expect from the louvers. The idea of louvers is to allow any built up heat to escape if they are on the hood. In some race cars, louvers play the role of directing passing wind to exit out as fast as it arrived. For some, it is an additional accessory to enhance the hot rod aura.

The rows of hood louvers do just that, heat rises and leaves. But, whatever goes out as expected, one must believe that other stuff will come into those openings like they are supposed to do on a regular basis. Dust, dirt, leaves, flying debris of any kind and, of course, water. From rain to weekly car washings whatever source of water, the louvers are the opening and welcoming place. So, the local car wash is out of the question as they cannot stop the flow of water automatically versus a home water hose use to skip the hood.

Jnaki

But for the history of louvers, it can be said that the design gives any placement some attitude and a welcoming change in a plain old painted or unpainted surface.
    upload_2022-10-2_4-3-34.png
    As much as hood louvers are a given to release hot air from the engine compartment, what do louvers in other places on any hot rod work as a daily function?
    upload_2022-10-2_4-4-14.png
    We would all like to think it works to still relieve swirling air pressure in the various alcoves and gathering spots in our cruisers.
    upload_2022-10-2_4-4-50.png

A So Cal hot rod/cruiser spotted in commercial store parking lot. NICE !!!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  14. 5window

5window

A few, in appropriate locations, on certain vehicles, but, in general, I am not a fan. Certainly not of the fellow that punch louvers in every possible location. JMTC

15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are like flames. They look better on your car than they do on mine.

The Shift Wizard and 5window like this.
  16. pecker head

pecker head

IMG_0759.png IMG_0760.png My bud Skeet done these on my RPU hood tonight.

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After spending the last 2 weeks sanding mine, I'll have to say they are less popular than they were a couple weeks ago.
    upload_2023-12-27_19-11-7.jpeg

18. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I had 244 louvers in my chopped '41 chevy tudor years ago. Hood, deck lid, and vertical upper panel on the front fenders. But without pictures I guess it never happened.

Lee

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  19. Jibs

Jibs

I love louvers, makes any car look good. My 47 Chevy had 104 in the hood. My coupe has 140 in the trunk lid. Hood is at the louvers now no idea how many it will have. Louvers.jpg 20191014_153949.jpg