Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cut down model a manifold

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by corvair63, Nov 16, 2019.

1. corvair63

corvair63
    from denver

Ok so I just picked up a down draft intake and the exhaust manifold won’t let it seat properly. Can I trim the top of the manifold down or?? I’m not made of money so I can’t afford a header right now but wanted to ask before I grind the top of the exhaust manifold off. IMG_1048.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I'm no "A" expert, but I think that's an aftermarket exhaust manifold, with the top half open in front and rear, to pick-up heat from the radiator and exhaust, to be piped from the rear for passenger heating. I'd say any portions which are not actual exhaust containment boundaries can be cut off, if you don't need the heating function.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. That is an exhaust heater. You can grind away.

4. It is an aftermarket heater manifold. It would be a shame to cut it up. Can you make a spacer to temporarly lift the carb the small amount needed and remove it when you find the correct manifold? You should be able to trade it for a stock manifold and two people will be happy. Contact your local Model A club. On the other hand, does it get cold enough in Denver that you will want a heater?

Charlie Stephens

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I made a complete intake/exhaust out of a 3/8 stainless plate and SS u bends. It didn't cost much and I fitted the carbs of my choice

6. Phil1934

Phil1934

You could also space the intake out

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  7. guitarguy

guitarguy

I agree with everyone above. Those are not super rare manifolds, but it really would be ashamed to cut it up. Would be great if you could trade with someone with a stock manifold.

8. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Looks like you need it spaced away from the block, maybe make a extra set of block to intake spacer flanges with longer bolts.

Then you could keep all the cool stuff :cool:

9. That part of the Exhaust manifold gets as Hot as the rest of the manifold. You might want to think about the Radiant heat coming off it that close to the Carb. That in itself may end up being the beginning of your next series of Questions starting with why does my Motor run rough and sometimes Die but only after driving it a short distance and gets up to operating Temp. Raising the Carb may lead to the new Question something like, why do I run out of gas when I still 1/2 a tank of Gas. That is if your still using your stock Model A tank. Just some random thoughts here, Carry on.

RICH B likes this.
  10. Could always buy a stock manifold to replace it.They aren't hard to find.Sell that one to a restorer type dressing up a stocker.

11. dwollam

dwollam

I just bought 2 stock Model A intake/exhaust manifolds at the Albany swap meet Saturday for $20 each from 2 different vendors. They had more. They are easy to find stock ones, don't chop up the heater manifold.

Dave