Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 37 buick barn find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wrong generation, Dec 29, 2018.

1. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

@Oldioron nice story but not sure why you mentioned it here???

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The car could be a source of income, that's all. Most guys don't give it a thought.
    The cars very cool, it has a gangster look....that's what made me think of it.

3. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Id i could turn it into a source of income that would restore it for me. I'd do that in a heart beat.

4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You need a reality show for that...

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I have been remiss in following this project mostly due to health problems (3rd cranial nerve palsy) which in plain language is left eye lid shut and double vision. Not 100% yet but can at least move around the shop without knocking over or spilling everything. Did not read every post but can offer a few insights. If your steering wheel can be turned with no key something is broken a it has a locking shaft set up. Your side mirrors aren't missing because they didn't have them. 37's had no wood, all the key does is unlocks the steering shaft and frees the on-off ignition switch lever to move. The starter is activated by pushing down on the accelerator pedal. I have seen engines/trans/differentials as bad as yours that were never near water. The big concern is the camshaft and lifters as just pitting is a killer for them. I use a 50/50 mix of automatic trans fluid and acetone for soaking parts loose as it is nearly as good as Kroil and a fraction of the price. I have numerous heads, blocks, cranks, etc but they are all for 248 or 263 engines and not the 320. There is a sawmill about a 100 miles from me that used to use the 320 straight eights but switched to diesel a couple years ago. If they didn't send the Buick's to the scrap yard it might be a source for a cheap replacement. On my end I painted my 37 a lighter blue and hate the color; going back to Midnight Blue as soon as I just see one image which makes painting much more likely to please.

IMG_4763.JPG

Dave Mc and warhorseracing like this.
  6. philo426

philo426

how would it look if you painted the front and rear fenders black?

7. BJR

BJR

If that were my engine, I would pull the pan and see what the bottom end looks like, after all the rust on the top end. You may be fighting a loosing battle if the bottom end looks like the top.

gas & guns likes this.
  8. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Well other then finding the right 37 grille after getting the wrong one. The car hasn't been touched in months.

Due to medical crap and being in and out of the hospital. It's just been sitting in my parents garage. As much as i hate do it. The Buick will be getting placed up for sale.

Attached Files:

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just remember a 37 big buick transmission is like solid gold.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

how much are YOU willing to pay?.......;)

11. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I hope you get better the car can be replaced but you can't.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hnstray, used them back in the day but see lots of HAMB posters who could use one. My 60 Pontiac has a 2004R which is perfect for the car. Thinking more about a 37 Buick transmission, if I could buy one at a good price I might buy one for an investment. Do you have one for sale?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No, I don't. I was just 'yanking your chain'. I have a pretty good grasp on the history and use of the '37 big Buick trans. And, for the 'right money', whatever that is, I'd buy one too. My point was that a statement saying they are 'like gold' isn't much help to a person who has one and 'may' want to sell it.

I don't know what they are worth to a motivated buyer, or how little a motivated seller would accept. It is worth something for the OP to know that his car's transmission may have a good reception if offered for sale, but that would mean a lot of work disassembling the car and then it would be incomplete. He may lose as much or more than he gains by that approach.

Ray

14. Gman0046

Gman0046

I only mentioned the 37 transmission in the event he may part out the car or convert to a different engine and transmision combination. Seems like a 700R4 is becoming popular behind Nailheads.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

No plans to part it out. Id rather sell it complete or trade it. At this point in time.

Thats been one of the struggles with this car. Part of me would love to just drop a lq4/5spd in it. But the other part likes the straight 8. As you don't see them ever.

16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thats a real nice car , glad you saved it.

wrong generation likes this.
  17. wrong generation

wrong generation
    from new jersey

Figured I'd add the ending to this threads story In case Anyone ever comes Across it in a search and wonders what happened to it.

The Buick left this morning. Its on its way to the uk. Hate myself for selling it and even more for sending it out of the country. But i know it's new owner will give it the proper restore it deserves.

Attached Files:

warhorseracing likes this.