Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PW Switch Wiring Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Nov 16, 2019.

1. The switch in my ‘37 has had most of the wiring to it come unattached due to bad crimps. Would someone be able to advise which wire goes where on the switch plug?
    I believe this is a ground fed system. I also believe it is a GM style harness.

Blue feeds drivers door
    Red is hot

FD6917B4-D46E-405C-BF2B-9B6EE6AAAF8A.jpeg E5E6510B-6243-45FA-ADC7-08E0B4807F31.jpeg 01E2F992-13F3-4AD6-952F-496EC066014E.jpeg

Thanks in advance.

Allan

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. squirrel

squirrel

This is how I think it should work. It's possible I switched Power and Ground, but which one goes to which does not matter, so connect it however it is already partly wired now.

Each motor has two wires, neither of them connects to Ground anywhere (except through the switch, when you push a button)

If the motors run backwards relative to the switch direction, switch the lead 1 and lead 1 wires for that motor. Or just imagine that "up" is "down".

pw switch.jpeg

3. 24riverview

24riverview

What Squirrel said except judging by wire colors still attached he may have power and ground switched. Easy to check, I think the motor terminals may have continuity to the ground terminal with the switches centered.

squirrel likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

that could be...I didn't try to figure out the orientation of the switch and connector housing, I was just trying to show the basic function concept of the switch. Thanks for the clarification.

Blue One likes this.

5. Thanks. Out to the shop to try it!

6. Well, I got the switch wired and have power to the door contacts when I activate the switch in either direction but the windows now don’t operate (they used to). With this type of system do the motors need grounds run to them or would they ground through the door and the hinges? I’m wondering if I should run a ground from the motors through the door contacts and to a good ground in the car?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  7. squirrel

squirrel

no grounds!

What are the motors? If they just have two wires, they do NOT use ground, for anything. The motor wires are isolated from ground. You give one of the wires +12v, and the other wire -12v, and it turns one way. Reverse the polarity (switch which wire gets + and which gets -), and the motor runs the other way. You can test the motors to make sure this is how they work. If they do require ground, then you probably can't use the switch you have to make them go.

I can't see what else is going on with the car or the wiring, I can only see what you take pictures of. So I have to guess about a lot of stuff.

8. Jim,
    Thanks That makes sense. The windows worked when I got the car. I didn’t realize both wires would need to be hooked at the door connector......... back to the shop.
    ....... success! Weird way to wire. lol

Thanks again Jim!!!

20938DBD-CF93-44D1-A4BB-4B0CBEEE8131.jpeg B7FF74F8-2641-4676-9550-EE8BDE8534B7.jpeg

squirrel likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

It makes sense...they are permanent magnet DC motors, so you can reverse direction of the motor by switching + and - wires. You can't switch the + and - of the wires if one of them is ground! so they have to be connected as individual wires, to the control switch.

It's great to see success, and I'm glad I could help

10. I do appreciate it.

Last question. I want to replace the switch connector. It’s just too buggered up. Any suggestions where I could buy a pigtail with the switch connector from?

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

You should be able to take apart the plastic connector and solder the wires back in place. I've done it before.

12. squirrel

squirrel

A junkyard might have one, if you know what kind of car it's from. Or you could get a switch and connector from a junkyard, and then you'd have a new used switch, and you wouldn't need to know what the old one came from.

13. squirrel

squirrel

14. Went to the local pick and pull. $5 for a GM switch and some harness out of a ‘79 Grand Prix.
    Thanks again for all the advice today.

E020BBEC-B552-4BCC-8D2D-DD2DEB539C3B.jpeg

Blue One and squirrel like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

I love the easy cheap solution