Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gasser straight axle steering

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RocktimusPryme, Nov 14, 2019.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm guessing whoever did yours didn't have that "Hat thing". I believe it's simply called a leaf spring top plate or perch. Looks like whoever did yours didn't have them and simply made a square plate. Looking at that again, I think I would go back to the original type set up. An original set like mine can't be that hard to find. Or.......

https://beattiespring.com/products/chevy-gmc-u-bolt-top-cap-plate

You obviously do not need the rubber snubbers that are still on mine. Yes, I would change that if it was me.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

I don't know the right name other than a locator pad. It has 2 grooves that locate the u bolts. When I got my axle it had a set of mono leaf lowering springs. I went to my local NAPA store and bought 2 utility trailer springs, the mounting brackets and shackles and the right length u bolts which just happen to be the same width as the holes in the Ford axle mounting plates.

3. RocktimusPryme

RocktimusPryme

I do like that top cap with the grooves linked better. Honestly I think I would simply be more comfortable with the heavy bolts looped over the top of the spring. Even if the plate stayed the same.

and not that it matters under spring pressure, but the aircraft mechanic in me has a panic attack seeing the bolt upside down when it doesn’t need to be.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Don't skimp do it right I remember a guy that bought a real T bolt in the 60s and was going to go faster and put a straight axle under it and preceded to role it.

5. ,,,37 Chevy coupe build, used orig. front axle, 54 car backing plates and brake parts, made my own steering box mount using a 525 GM box (65 Chevelle manual box),...Speedway steering arms and tie rod, steering rod to passenger side, work'd perfect...
    37 coupe build 217.jpg 37 coupe build 218.jpg 37 coupe build 074.jpg 37 coupe build 219.jpg

6. Muckler

Muckler
    from NH USA

Good info and pics. I'm starting a gasser type build on my 49 chevy. Very helpful place you guys have here.Thank you.

7. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

I have done several straight axle jobs and have found that power steering helps quite a lot. They seem to handle better for some reason. I use Saginaw for cross steer and CPP after market for push-pull. Just something to think about.

seb fontana likes this.
  8. glrbird

glrbird

Rusty Sampsel on Facebook just rebuilt his gasser front end after a wreck. His father and Rusty have raced that 55 Chevy forever. Lots of pictures, same front end set up