Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 Corvette (I'm the new tire fryer)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Kinda dreamy black/black/black. Dig the cowl induct hood- goes nice with that bitchin' mill, diamond tuft & traction bars.
    Non gold chain chariot, fer sure.
    Dreamy lil' hot rod.

2. Guy I bought hubcaps from also had original wheels but lives 250 miles away and didn't want to ship. He text me Thursday and said he'd be near me Saturday. Picked up a very nice matching set of 4 yesterday. (one is partially blasted)

Corvette only 15X5 with correct welded centers and "nubs" for holding the caps on. Cost was 1/4 of real value and I met a cool guy. He's Corvette poor. Pair of 1962's, and one each from 63-67 with all of them being hipo models. Says he has more C1 parts to sell so will make me a list.

Crappy pictures but nice wheels.
    Oh, the current mags will stay on the car.
    z hubcaps wheels 1.jpg

z hubcaps wheels 2.jpg

z hubcaps wheels 3.jpg

3. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Lucky Lucky man!

"Give me your Corvette" ? Joe

loudbang and enloe like this.
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

You are a persistent one Joe

scotty t and loudbang like this.
  5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Shoot enloe it worked for LowKat! Joe

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Not today.

Bowtie Coupe, enloe and loudbang like this.
  7. Sometimes it pays to check Craigslist by location. Saturday I picked up a good 1957 Corvette posi rearend, complete as shown. (resto-mod take-out) 200 bucks, 3 miles from home, seller helped load and looks like I made a new friend.

Mathematically it worked out to 4:11 gears. I haven't cracked it open yet but the factory "AX" stamp code on the pumpkin says it's a 3:08 from a 1960 Impala with a 348/Turboglide. I suspect it's a 3 series carrier with a ring gear spacer and 4:11 gears. If so, I'll just need a 3:55 ring and pinion so I can swap and save the original 4:11 posi diff assembly out of my car.

Freeway friendly.... here I come.

0 0a Corvette rear.jpg

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

very cool

loudbang likes this.
  9. LowKat, did you also compare the casting number and date? "AX" cud also be a '57 passenger car rear with 4.11 gears, I believe.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  10. Yes the pumpkin has a May 1960 date

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  11. Couple weekends ago I installed a new Dewitt's radiator. Something was seeping when the car was turned off after running. Turns out the clamp on the lower neck was cocked a little and leaking. Believe it or not pulling / installing a radiator in a C1 isn't the easiest car to do. Anyway took it on a cruise today and it's all good.

z Corvette radiator 2nd time 2.jpg

12. Been working on the hardtop I bought. Combining it with pieces from the top that came with the car. Got it block sanded and primed. Polished the windows for both tops. Need another primer coat then more sanding before final paint.

DSC01506pqg.jpg

DSC01506pqk.jpg

DSC01506pql.jpg

DSC01506pqm.jpg

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang, Baron and 4 others like this.
  13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

15. Not today.

Bowtie Coupe, enloe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Looking good Mark. Good luck with reinstalling the back glass. With the new rubber in place it can be a bit trying to one's patience to get the window in without using all expletive deleted expressions known to man (at least with the 62s I have done). Two jobs I do not look forward to; the hardtop back glass and installing a dash pad (which I helped a buddy with on Saturday).

Bowtie Coupe, LowKat, Baron and 3 others like this.
  17. Jim, it only takes 3 minutes and 26 seconds.....
    After you've done hundreds of them.

catdad49, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mark, I actually watched one of those videos when I put the window in my red 62 thinking it would help me. It did not. I found that if I use ratchet straps with towels against the paint holding the window in place lightly while I worked the rubber in place worked OK. The problem I had is that it would seem that I would get 90% of the rubber and window in and all of a sudden the window would pop out on the far corner, and then when I would address that far corner, it would pop out of the opposite corner. It does go into place but you may have to keep saying to yourself "serenity now-serenity now" and it may go easier. Good luck.

19. I had a pile of hardtop parts and an NOS back window but after hearing all the horror stories I gave the window to Jim Hayes for his 56 after his top had an unfortunate accident.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  20. SCOTT LINDQUIST

SCOTT LINDQUIST

I can't believe that I have finally found the new owner of Doug Sukau's '58 Corvette. I too am a longtime friend of that man and I was saddened by his leaving us too soon. I made it back up to Oregon to pay my respect, but I was not able to come back up to Oregon for the estate sale. I missed out on seeing/bidding on that 1958 Corvette as well. Doug and everybody else loved that Vette of his (now yours). You have a beautiful car in your possession my friend. And those flames? Doug first practiced those flames on a yellow '64 Chevelle SS, which I bought from him when I was still a kid in high school. When he perfected those iconic ghost flames, he then added them to that car that you now have in front of you. I think that they have a story to tell and I hope that you leave them on. Just like the "Sukau Sport" on his SS Camino? A statement that friends still smile about. But that is a decision that is totally up to you and I’m sure that you are doing that Vette proud.
    And if you ever decide to part with that beautiful remembrance of Doug and his talents (but we all know that’s not happening, lol), PLEASE give me a shot at it. Also feel free to reach out to me anytime, as it is always nice to share memories of the times in our past with Doug. I thanks you sir for listening to my ramblings, and thanks again for making me remember my friend Doug and to remember that '58, as both have always made me smile. You brought tears to my eyes as well, but they are happy tears.
    Thank you for sharing your journey thru this post of your 1958 Corvette. It is still beautiful…..
    Scott Lindquist

P.S. I still have a picture of that Chevelle sitting in Doug’s driveway at the Johnson Rd. house. Yup, with both the flames and rear flares on it! :D

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  21. Hi Scott,
    Thanks for reaching out to me and the cool story. I occasionally run into people that recognize the car, some because of the flames. I'm leaving the flames as they have grown on me and are a tribute to Doug. Whenever I drive the Vette (which is a lot) I hear Doug's chuckle in my head. I live a couple blocks from Doug's house on Henrici so if you make it to Oregon get a hold of me and we'll go for a ride. 5O3-8O6-47O6 or call if you want to BS. I'm also on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/mark.bruce.54966

I knew Doug 25 years and hounded him about that car constantly. I was within a couple weeks of buying another C1 Vette when an odd turn of events led me back to it. Cheryl told me that it was destiny. One of the first questions she asked me before selling was "do you plan on restoring it?" which she was against and turned a couple prospective buyers away because they flunked the "correct" answer. She's seen the car after the changes I've made and said Doug would've approved.

If you have a scan or digital picture of your flamed Chevelle I'd love a copy to add to the collection of paperwork and pictures that came with the car. Did you know Doug when he got the car? I haven't found any history "before Doug" and would love to trace it down. I'm also friends with Barry Cameron (Doug's best friend) but he didn't have any previous history. Doug bequeathed the brand new Z06 Corvette he bought a few months before his passing to Barry. As far as me selling, I probably never will but if I do you're at the top of the list.

All the best,
    Mark

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mark
    I always liked that green 69 Camaro of Barrys, had the as-cast 200s Americans, it was perfect.

23. It's still in his garage as you remember it. I saw him last week. Now his love is the 49 Chevy pickup that he'd been restoring for a long time. He drives it regularly. Beautiful truck as he has great attention to detail.

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01276.jpg

DSC01277.jpg

24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's a beauty!
    I recall a little story Doug told me many years back.
    He was doing some work on one of these trucks for a customer, the guy found some NOS front fenders, Doug had them either in primer, may have even been painted, seems they didn't realize they were for a ? one ton truck, they had considerably larger wheel openings, at least that's how I remember it.

25. 6sally6

6sally6

Not much to criticize if you axe me!!
    Buzz (and that other dude) would be proud of you!
    6sally6

loudbang likes this.
  26. Same truck. It took Barry a few years to find nice 1/2 ton fenders . Finally found a buyer for the big truck fenders after several trips to the swap meet. They were painted and ready to bolt on. The buyer was very happy.

27. SCOTT LINDQUIST

SCOTT LINDQUIST

I know Barry as well and we talked briefly on my trip up. Barry had his "69 parked at the celebration and it looked as good if not better than I remembered it many years ago. I was also happy to hear that he is able to enjoy a piece of Doug's memory ( the Z06 Corvette) and will be grinning behind that beard of his every time it rolls down the road.
    I did not know Doug when he first got the Vette as I met him in the mid to late 70's, but I still remember the stories and bumps he had along the way with it, lol. I did enjoy being a part (very small part) of that Mean Green Camaro though. I am in the process of moving so that picture of the flamed Chevelle will have to wait for the search after unpacking, but I will dig it up then, promise. Thanks for putting me on top of that wish list, but I won't be holding my breath ant time soon, lol. Enjoy the Heck outta that car as Doug wouldn't want it to go any other way. Thanks for sharing the progression as it is looking great in the pics...…. Scott

P.S. You almost got a call to take you up on that ride this weekend as I was in town for a family wedding. My time was short, but don't think I didn't think about you and that car :)

catdad49, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  28. Scott,
    Barry sold the Z06 not long after he got it.
    He said "I drove it a few times and knew it would get me in trouble".

Yesterday was our Corvette's 62nd birthday.
    Built on the first day of '58 production. Serial #00026.
    Thirty two cars built on that day.

We went to the last cruise-in of the year last month.
    There was a '59 next door. Cool guy that's owned it 35 years.
    Hopefully there'll be some non-rainy cruising days this winter.

0 OC downtown 04.jpg

My noisy little direct drive compressor lost a screw that holds the piston on, so threw a rod when I was ready to paint the Corvette top. I bought a low mile 60 gallon twin cylinder belt drive (much quieter). Still need to pick up a dryer. Hope to paint this weekend.

0 Husky 60 compressor 2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  29. Vette is hibernating for the winter.

DSC01507 Corvette 2019 11 08 garage 03.jpg

Got my hard top painted, turned out like shit. Had a softball size spot that crinkled up (contamination?) so sanding it down again. Lower right in photo.

DSC01507 Corvette 2019 11 08 garage 09.jpg

While making space to put the new compressor in the carport (It's in a closet behind the Corona banner) I uncovered a bunch of stuff I hadn't seen for 10 years.

z garage carport 2019 11 08 garage 14.jpg

There was two early 350" 4 bolt short blocks and 3 pair of "good" heads I'd forgotten about

0 engines 350 4 bolt.jpg

30. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Finding lost treasures in your own garage is always a bonus! I usually find them when I'm looking for something else. Then when I want or need them I can't remember where the heck I seen them. Joe

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app