Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 46 Ford Trans Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HIDDEN, Nov 15, 2019.

1. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

I need to pull my trans out of my 46 Ford Coupe for a refresh and wanted to get opinions from people have done this befgore. Is it easier to just pull the engine then the trans out the front or drop the rearend out and then out thru the back? Will be doing this in a home garage w/o a lift.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If you have a stock Ford X frame, you cannot “pull the trans out the back”. You can remove the front seat and large tin floor pan and pull the trans from inside the car.. easier than pulling the engine if the car is still fully assembled.

Ray

302GMC, ted kovacs and Cosmo50 like this.
  3. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Shop manual states that you need to pull the engine to change the clutch. Pretty much impossible without a lift. I think I've heard people say you could get the tranny out by first dropping the rear axle/torque tube assembly, but to me it's easier to just pull the engine. I don't know how you get it out through the toe board without doing that.

Engine removed

SDC12428.JPG

Toe board removed (granted, different tranny)

20190630_082552.jpg

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, of course you have to disconnect the torque tube.....no matter which way one approaches this job. But I have the personal experience of using the 'from the top' floorboard method and it works a lot easier than pulling the engine from an assembled car and does not require a lift.

Ray

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look at Van Pelt's website. There is a whole step by step set of instructions for removing your trans by lowering the rear end and rolling it back. Lot easier than pulling the engine and trans together. If you don't have an adjustable puller so you can get your engine/trans combination pointed almost straight nose up, it's damn near impossible. Speaking from experience here.

Ritzy1 likes this.