Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What did you do today?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daniels Auto Repair, Jul 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes but we understand it.
    It's like converting hp into cc's

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  2. Put the Vette into hibernation mode.

DSC01506pqg aaa.JPG

DSC01507 Corvette 2019 11 08 garage 03.jpg

3. impala4speed

impala4speed

4. I finished insulating the new roof/ceiling I had built since the car was not under it anymore, tomorrow I'll finish insulating that garage door and look for some type of reflective material to put on the ceiling to help with lighting. I was just going to use 4x8x.5 foam insulation board that's plain silver, the problem is nowadays it's printed in the company name in big black letters all over it.
    I also got my torque converter bolts in for the Henry J, I robbed them for the 41 truck when I was getting it roadworthy.
    20191115_173552.jpg

chryslerfan55 and The37Kid like this.
  5. -Brent-

-Brent-

We got some hairpins made.

Hairpins 2.jpg

6. j hansen

j hansen

For once the work became interesting,these old Halibrands
    from a Swedish Funny Car called RAGNARÖK was delivered
    to us.So much more fun than the usual stuff. Skärmavbild 2019-11-16 kl. 09.45.23.png Skärmavbild 2019-11-16 kl. 09.45.55.png

7. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

Since the grill surround from my ‘48 Merc is in the chrome shop, I touched up the grill, name plate and hood ornament. Painted them black and then polished the fins

.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Went to the local old junkyard and got everything on my list and one that was not on it,third time was the charm on the balancer and thermostat housing as everything has been open to the elements for years. 100_9602.JPG

9. WTF really

WTF really

Me and my friend Bill Nabors got some stuff together to take to moultrie and played with his 32. Anyone need a valve grinder? Free delivery to moultrie.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  10. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Roads were dry and it wasn’t as cold as it was during the week, so Mrs Moon and I drove around in the old Ford truck all day. Favorite breakfast spot, bunch of errands, grocery shopping. Put about 80 miles on. Hope it wasn’t the last drive for the season.

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_5299.JPG IMG_5300 (2).JPG
    IMG_5301.JPG I and a bunch of my pals attended a pancake breakfast fundraiser for the Ladies' Auxiliary of the local volunteer fire department. Several of the fellows got calls from home saying the power had gone out and they got away before I could take any pictures of the full complement of those attending... we had 13 vehicles.
    The highboy Chevy coupe was built by my pal, Bad Bob... also known as Bobby Built.
    That's my phantom delivery in the background. The Chevy had a six cylinder with split exhaust, a 5 speed trans, and a four barrel carb!!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  12. Nice turnout with some great rides, but how were the pancakes?:D;)

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Pancakes were great! So was the sausage and baked apples. Coffee and orange juice topped it all off.;)
    All you could eat!:eek::D:D
    I've been sponsoring the guys to show if they drove a hot rod... cost me a whole $5 for each one!:eek::D:D I always give them at least $100 though we haven't quite had 20 guys yet... but I keep hopin'.;):)
    Some of the guys come from 25 or 30 miles away... they really like showing their support for such a great volunteer group.:)
    IMG_4445.JPG IMG_4442.jpg
    Here's the crowd from last May.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  14. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

Thanks to the blessing that climate change is we had another salt-free weekend, so I took a trip to our local Zombie Castle (no I did not knock on the front door, I'm not that brave:eek:)
    20191117_104248.jpg 20191117_104619.jpg 20191117_110149.jpg

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Broke down and got a cell phone,really did not want to do it but I can not remember seeing a pay phone in years.

16. Just puttering around fixing extra tires and ganging up stuff I might need to retrieve a vehicle or two if Im lucky and buy anything at next Saturdays Hoarder Estate auction.

17. 62rebel

62rebel

Tried to reinstall the column shift hardware and discovered that the driver side exhaust pipe is in the way. Also suspicious that the works inside the column are messed up. Cleaned up some more trim pieces. Cleaned out my totalled pickup and found other parts I thought were lost. Chest hurts like a sonofabitch.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put the crank in my sons 302 two weeks ago; while flipping watching NHRA & NASCAR filed the rings and installed the new Ross pistons/rods for his street engine going our old LSR 40 Chevrolet. Cam has been test fit but the front plate is first. B2A552EA-D598-45F9-A687-1D3062F0ECCE.jpeg 5CCEF041-102F-4A83-AEE2-F9E7599AB189.jpeg

19. 62rebel

62rebel

Got my suspicion also that the drag link is bent. Idler arm is totally worn out.

20. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Took the Stude to San Antonio to test the new engine. 10.50/126mph. Radiator leak ended our day early. Been a long two years messing with this new engine. Sure felt good to get down the track with it. Probably some more left in it with some tuning. IMG_20191116_223811590~2.jpg IMG_20191116_113206707_HDR.jpg

21. johnlips

johnlips

I was knee deep in small animal poop/pee from the animal that made a home in the interior of the 49 Merc. Lots of vacuuming!

22. Cleat

Cleat
    from Gifford WA

Spotted this sweet "57" in Muchison New Zealand. It's a left driver. Did they get these down here? 20191118_120605.jpeg 20191118_120542.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A205G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I did something useful, but it was on my o/t daily driver. I had a solid state instrument cluster with a non functional speedometer. I removed the cluster and soldered all the contacts on the mother board and fixed the problem.
    I also did my oil and filter change in the driveway, again, because my garage is full of my tools. I am really tired of working on my stuff outside, but haven't got my new garage completed yet.
    BTW, I found it difficult to believe that the oil filter was so difficult to access and remove, that the designer of the 4 banger should have his nuts hung on the mirror of the car he drives.

Bob

24. Checked the brakes on the '50 today. Linings worn to nearly nothing. No br. fluid leaks. One rear wheel seal leaking. Measured the drums (they all looked real good) The worst one was worn 6 thou, it likely won't take much to turn them. It looks like it's going to be a pretty easy brake job.

New shoes and wheel cylinders and hardware to make them self adjusting. Rear wheel seals and probably bearings. With hoses and new steel lines It'll be just like new. Of course a dual master cylinder is in order as well. May as well be safe. :)

25. mnjeff

mnjeff

C783D52C-CAC9-4C16-8F04-51F34A7B343C.jpeg 58C7EA8E-02DF-41B9-8B43-02283390B611.jpeg 5B337E75-AE6B-4814-9BFB-82AC621FA3DD.jpeg I got to be 64 yesterday, spent some time tearing the Willys down for paint work, and restarting my heart after the Vikings game.....

26. Yes Jeff...the game had several heart stopper moments. Nice to see you putting some paint on that mean machine that you have ! You know of course that you can bring it to the PICNIC , paint or primer, anytime you want.
    Bill (g-willys)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hope that your paint job is done quicker than a friend has with a PU much like yours that has been waiting for a "friend" for at least 12 (twelve) years to finish it - recently got the painted cab, without doors, back

28. Little Deano and I went over to the shop. He messed with everything and watched what I was doing. I had bought a Husky chainsaw new in 2000. And it ran good until this fall. Carb troubles. The diaphrqam was old & stiff. So I ordered a brand new carb for $10 off the internet. and today I installed it. Deano insisted I let him pour the gas & oil in the saw. The old 55 Rancher saw run good just had to adjust the idle. So its sunny in the shop doorway. My pressure washer the carb was flooding. So I pulled that off and cleaned it. Trash in the needle valve. It has a screw in the bottom to drain the fuel bowl. I will take advantage of that and drain the gas from the carb when not in use. The idle jet had a aluminum topped brass adjusting screw that had a lug so you couldnt adjust it or remove it (pollution?).. I was filing that lug off and the brass screw had a necked down portion and I broke that screw off. I then screwed it out. Low and behold the steel low speed screw from my old husky carb has the same threads and tip. It was a bit longer. but I made that work. So today was small engine day. Ive reciently bought a lot of non running garden tillers and riding lawnmowers. Plan to fix then and sell them in the spring. Most times its folks leaving gas in them and it goes bad and gums everything up. The best option is to spend a few dollars and install brand new carbs.

29. This tip works for carb gaskets, particularly those hard to find Holley gaskets, and diaphragms as well, but if you need to get the 2 cycle engine running in a hurry, soak the diaphragm in brake fluid until it softens.
    It works great, as long as there are no cracks.

Bob
    Owner of too many old chainsaws to count.

30. choptop40

choptop40

Took my daughter to the eye doctor , sent off last of the documents to my attorney for our new shop..started ripping out old shelving... image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    swade41, 40two, RICH B and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.