Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects You got to start somewhere!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tooth, Nov 18, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. 31

19 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. 32

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I am going to put a transverse Ford spring on mine with dropped axle too. It's a better way to go, decided to make a street/ race car! Picked up a PONTIAC/OLDS REAR END! Going 4 link rear with coil overs.
    Thanks for the measurements, the 9.3 has 35-spline strange axles and spool with 4:10 gears and new drum brakes. How wide is the rear end on yours from drum to drum? Mine is currently 60"
    Thanks for the info and I preciate it.

Attached Files:

Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  2. JJK

JJK

ISSA coupe

loudbang and Tooth like this.
  3. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Went and saw Ralph in Red Bud Illinois yesterday and took Saltflats with me, and picked up some top end parts for my 31 Chevy coupe build. Committed to a 409 in the hot rod now.
    Picked up a set of aluminum Walla heads and a custom aluminum Intake 2-4's . Mr. 409 (RALPH) has quite a collection of cars and parts. Here's some of his collection and I will post pictures of the heads later tonight. And remember to burn a tire!;)

Attached Files:

4. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Tooth,
    What is the deal with the tail end of that '63 Biscayne? It's looks like a combination of a lot of things familiar but definitely not stock!

loudbang likes this.
  5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

bel air trim added to 63

loudbang likes this.
  6. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I'm not sure, he said it was originally a 6-cylinder car that he turned into a 409 4 speed car. The only thing he really mentioned about it was the paint was original paint. That's all I really know about it and it's a very clean and straight. I was a little distracted because I was thinking about those heads sitting over there on the table right next to it with that intake. LOL and I managed to talk him out of them and bring them home!;)

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  7. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great score on the heads! As for the car it certainly looks to me like that is a '62 trunk with the emblems switched around.

loudbang likes this.
  8. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now I'm really confused. Pics below are the ass end of my '62 and a stock '63
    IMG_3984.JPG

13373468-1963-chevrolet-bel-air-srcset-xl.jpg

loudbang and biggeorge like this.
  9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a 64 to me

loudbang likes this.
  10. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are right 427, my bad.

loudbang likes this.
  11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

yes it is a 64 . had to look a couple of times. wrong angles

loudbang likes this.
  12. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

It's been a busy two days, here are the pics of the Bob Walla heads I picked up from Ralph in Red Bud Illinois Sunday. I believe he told me these were the second set of heads that Bob made and he bought them about 10 years ago. They look really good but as you can see in the pics the intake guides extend too far down in the bowls. Buddy of mine has a tool to cut the guides back up to the edge of the aluminum in the bowl and that will make the intake flow much better. Other than that I just have to have the Springs tested, but I'm not really sure what I'm going to run for a Cam yet. The Springs right now are set up for a 750 lift solid roller. He could not tell me the installed height or the seat pressure. They might even possibly be dead but they haven't been compressed for a long time, just sitting. I will probably run a solid roller also but not sure of the specs yet. There's a number on the end of the head that has a 20-11 and I want to try to call Walla heads and see what that means. I'm thinking that maybe the number means 11 out of 20 pairs? The intake has a plate bolted to it for 2-4 s. The nice thing is I can use the mill and make me a new plate and put a belt driven air breather on it. LOL down the road... They look almost like they're brand new!

Attached Files:

loudbang and biggeorge like this.
  13. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

howdy, found this listing in Lincoln Nebraska might be some useful parts.
    https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/glenwood-1931-chevy-sedan-2-door/6864307590.html

loudbang likes this.
  14. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Matt there is a 31 Chevy 2 door sedan in Lincoln Nebraska for sale for around $6,000 didn't know if you might need it for parts. Here's the link
    https://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/d/glenwood-1931-chevy-sedan-2-door/6864307590.html

loudbang likes this.
  15. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

20190629_212209.jpg 20190629_212234.jpg Today I went on a little road trip to Wentzville Missouri and met a guy who lives in Troy named Bruce he had posted a listing for some 409 parts, at standard standard steel crank, stock unmolested rods oh, and the set of 340 horse 409 exhaust manifolds. I emailed him as directed in the ad and he got right back to me and texted me. He said he'd sold as 59 Impala and wanted to get rid of the spare parts that he had. He showed me the receipts for these parts and I about fell over for what he paid for the manifolds. He said he put these manifolds on a 348 which gave them a lot better exhaust flow then the 348 manifolds. All the parts had been magnafluxed and checked for cracks and we're ready for a build. I asked him if he would separate the manifolds from the crank and rods and he said he would make me a deal so sweet that I couldn't refuse it all. Man was he right! He sold me all of it cheaper than I could have bought a crank for. And agree to meet me halfway. So I only had about a 40-minute drive. I picked all the stuff up and looks good and he gave me copies of some of the receipts of what he paid for everything. Man did he make me a deal oh, I only wish I could find the standard 409 block in a deal like this!
    Now I have a 348 block that I could make a stroker with a 409 crank. I really want to make a stroker 409 and order a rotating assembly, but have to be realistic about the cost of that. I guess I just need to be patient Tom has made me a deal on a truck block that's standard bore and has no cracks but needs decked, bored Iine Home checked. Still buying parts and I do have a 348 block that needs a sleeve. I bought a new water pump the other day from Speedway and some other little things so I am getting a little bit closer. 20190713_170618.jpg 20190713_170627.jpg 20190713_170634.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Torkwrench and loudbang like this.
  16. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

20191112_113609.jpg 20191026_205937.jpg 20191026_223923.jpg 20191029_181542.jpg So for the past 18 months I've been buying parts for the Coupe. It took me almost a year and a half but I managed to find a 63 passenger car 409 block that is standard and a 63 truck block that is also standard. I have a 3:48 block out of a 58 that has one cylinder needing a slave but the rest of the block is ok. I took the 348 Block in the 409 truck block to my machinist and he is going to Deck the blocks put in one sleeve and bore the truck block 60 over. I'm going to use a 4-inch stroker crank I beam forged rods and lightweight 12 the one pistons and build a 481. This should be a really good combination for the Chevy Coupe.
    Jeff at the machine shop has built many stroker Motors but it's been years since he's done it in his kind of put it behind him. Are dusted off the old dust and knocked off the cobwebs and I've got him fired up again! A friend of mine has a 68 Hemi Cuda that he runs in the NHRA Hemi Challenge Series. He's got a Liberty transmission then he's not using and made me an offer on it I just need to change the input shaft and buy a can and some clutches for it. Decisions decisions also thought about using a G-Force T101 clutchless shift transmission. A ways to go before I have to jump that fence...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    saltflats, Shadow Creek and loudbang like this.
  17. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

It's been awhile since I put any post of the 31 Chevy coupe on the form, and since I have a title and a grill shell for a 30 Chevy coupe I believe that's what I'll be calling it. I've been really busy this fall trying to get my 68 Chevy 2 Nova together and roadworthy. Drove many miles on the highway went with a 325 gear so I can run 60 miles an hour at 2300 RPM and 70 miles an hour at 2700 rpm. It had a 456 gear in it it was fun in town but not very fun getting to town so that's why I went with the 325. Also have 3in exhaust on it. It has a small hydraulic roller motor with 10 to 1 compression in a super T-10 transmission. I want the car to look stock like the day you would have bought it. The only thing that is not Factory is the hood and I had to use the one I have on it because the other one wouldn't fit. I took it to St Louis for a couple of Wednesday night test and tunes where the best ET of 12.260@ 114.83 mph... and yes it had a 325 gear in it and I ran it through the exhaust. I launched the card about 4000 RPM and I did not sidestep the clutch I just let out of it pretty quick. Even enough to get the front tires in the air. And I shifted it about 5800 to 6,000 RPM and never speed shifted it at this time. Was really happy with the way it was running and I know it'll run in the elevens if I were to let a little more air out of the Slicks and sidestep the clutch and speed shift. I was in the staging lanes and was ready to show it no mercy and ran out of time. That'll have to wait till next year!!! And yes that is Salt Flats photobombing me! LOL thanks for hanging out with me James I appreciate you!

saltflats and loudbang like this.
  18. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

So the plan for now is to try and build an engine for the 30 Coupe get the 54 Chevy on the road this winter and start building the 30 Coupe hot rod 409. All my friends have been trying to get me to take the Nova to the track. I'm mainly built it to drive and have fun. Now I can eat to get started on the truck and the Coupe. Still buying parts for the 30 and making plans. And right now there's not enough hours in the day...:rolleyes: more updates for the Coupe coming soon.....

loudbang likes this.
  19. Hey Tooth! Where are you located? I’m about 40 miles southeast of Gateway Raceway!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tooth and loudbang like this.
  20. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I'M in Columbia Missouri area. Gateway is about 2 hours from my house. I'm in the middle of Missouri! I have a friend who has a 63 Impala z11 clone. He lives in Red Bud Illinois. His name is Ralph and he's about 45 minutes from the track. We meet at Gateway all the time.

loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  21. Talk about a small world. I live 5 miles north of Red Bud. I’ve known Ralph and his Dad, my he Rest In Peace, since I was in High School! Ralph is Mr.W engine. Please send me a PM the next time you will be at Gateway and maybe we could meet up! I haven’t been up there since I stopped racing in 1999. I ran an O/T Small Block Nova. I’ve seen some of Ralph’s cars around town, but never got to see them Run! Thanks for the video.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Tooth like this.
  22. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Sounds like a plan for next year, I'm sure I'll be going to Ralph this winter to check things out and hang out. He's working on an upgrade right now and I've been getting information for him. I bought a set of Bob Walla aluminum 409 heads and intake from him for my Coupe. And yes it is a small world.

loudbang likes this.