Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Are louvers as popular today as they have been in the past?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 6, 2019.

1. J. Ed still punches louvers over in Belton.

Hortons Race Cars.HRP

ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  2. ladyhrp and 3W JOHN like this.
  3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Saw this today and thought I’d share:

B921F70D-589C-428C-8826-5D2C8CA0B12C.jpeg

4. williebill

williebill

Don't care for that one at all

Jibs, rpm56, lothiandon1940 and 5 others like this.
  5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

[​IMG]

It looks like my hood did after my neighbors damn cat left wet tracks on the hood and top.

6. fordflambe

fordflambe

7. I have always liked this car,louvers & flames, what more could you ask for. :D HRP

8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At my house, yes, louvers are as popular as they have been. Overall, I don't have any idea.

ladyhrp, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Did these this afternoon. image.jpg image.jpg

10. lothiandon1940 and ladyhrp like this.
  11. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Danny ask me if I wanted louvers in the hood of my wagon, I said no.

I thought they looked good in his 1939 Ford Convertible and if he want's them in his sedan it's OK with me.

12. I love the look, and would love to do the hood of both my cars, but no one locally does them affordably.

13. BJR

BJR

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

120 in the hood on my 48 but that hood isn't going back on the new build. I'm undecided on if I do the hood this time as there is going to be a ton of finned cast and seriously polished aluminum under there this time. These were done in Bremerton Wa around 1980/81 On an air operated press that is said to still be somewhere in the PNW.
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Shadow Creek like this.
  15. Kids didn't do Louvers much in the 50's they cost too much, many more are done today. Often in the wrong place, should be 2 or 3 rows per side of the hood like the 48 Ford hood above.

16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Just the other day, my wife and I were driving down PCH toward our house and she asked a funny question. What ever happened to those “slits” in the hood of our 327 SBC 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery? Well, that is/was a good question. We did see some real louvers in other old hot rods at a recent show. In my first 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, it had a Flathead motor with a smooth hood. But I sort of remember the “slits” or "louvers" on the 2nd Sedan Delivery we bought. Since it was a daily driver, rain or shine, water always seem to get in and cause some sort of problem.

Maybe those problems and trying to fix/live with them made my mind go blank ever since. I enjoyed driving both sedan deliveries so much, that particular aspect stays in my old memories. But, it was a surprise to hear…what happened to those “slits…” from my wife. She did spend a lot of time driving that 327 powered sedan delivery. But over the years we owned it, the right rear sight line just aggravated her to no end. That has caused a bad memory of the whole driving episodes during those cruising days.
    upload_2019-11-10_3-42-32.png upload_2019-11-10_3-42-45.png
    1 row and half on each side of the hood center line?

Jnaki

During the time we drove the 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, we had a house with glass louvers in two West facing windows. This design was very popular in those custom house building days. With one lever, a tall 4 ft. x 2 ft. wide, "louvered" window opened up to bring in the West facing ocean breezes. For us, it was new and fabulous, to bring in the cooling ocean air right into the house. But, the house was built during a dry season and was not tested for rain and water leakage.

When the rains came, and they did, (Straight into shore from the West and Northwest direction) the louvered window panes did not seal as well as a normal casement window. So, the water came right into the house... Those episodes were one reason to put a blank on that custom house and forget the "louvered" windows and anything related to the word "louver."

To her, these days, LOUVERS are those wooden, slat, window coverings we have on most of the normal double pane windows in our small house. But, the word, “slits” was a great description. At least on the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, they were real louvers punched by a machine.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. I'm a lover of louvers..........:D 2013-10-22 13.06.45.jpg

Stogy, OLSKOOL57, barrnone50 and 5 others like this.
  18. I like em 33 Roadster 2019 33 Hood (2).JPG 2019 33 hood.jpg 2019 34 Roadster Deck Lid.JPG

Stogy, jim snow, barrnone50 and 2 others like this.
  19. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I like louvers when im looking at them from behind the wheel louvers.jpg

20. Sculptive Design Co.

Sculptive Design Co.

Louvers = Function/Racing = Always Cool!

Stogy, barrnone50 and jim snow like this.
  21. jim snow

jim snow

I also am a lover of louvers. They’re the most mentioned feature on the coupe. I definitely like looking over them tooling down the road. Snowman

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Me too !

23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Nice score ! I would have jumped on that in a flash.

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

A guy named Roger, can't think of his last name in Geneseo Kansas does this style. I have two hoods done by him.

25. Ok guys that have louvers, what is the down side of them?
    I really dig the look & would like to do the hood on my shoebox.
    I also plan to make it my Summer daily driver as it's a little rugged already.
    I'm not even close to a real mechanic & don't want to add more stress to my life, you know electrical problems during wet weather or whatever cons there is to having louvers.
    I'm hoping it would help with cooling as these cars are prone to cooling problems.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

26. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Part Of The Personality.. RAQUEL ESCAPES 2016 002.JPG .

27. When I was growing up my dad had a few cars with louvers, and he painted a bunch of cars with louvers. And because I had smaller fingers it was "my privilege" to be able to help my dad, learn a skill and sand all the louvers...
    For me the question should be "are louvers still as unpopular to sand as they have always been?"
    Chappy

lothiandon1940 and jim snow like this.
  28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been thinking about punching the hood on my truck build, here are the main reasons I have come up with NOT to do it;
    1. PNW Rain, if you have a detailed engine, you wont for long - not without lots of elbow grease and Mothers polish
    2. Waxing, unless you like em matte finished
    3. Detail spray, (cover your engine first)
    4. You cant run hood insulation
    5. Wet/dry Sanding, like prepping and painting a cheese grater
    6. Expense, 100 louvers aint cheap

BUT looks totally bitchin! Hey if was easy...

29. 392

Never was a fan but some rides are spot on if that makes sense.